Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Nursing
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:47 am
Not trying to do lashon hara but this is the second frum school I’ve worked at that has told me I they can’t cover my pumping breaks. I’m running out of supply and having to feed my baby formula not to mention really uncomfortable. I want to quit but I need the money. Baby is only four months and I wanted to nurse to at least a year. Not to mention the pathetic maternity leave I got. (None)

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:49 am
They're legally required to give you a break. You can report them for noncompliance

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:54 am
Do you have a break but want additional time to pump? It makes sense that they can't have a teacher leaving class to pump... Its really hard, what do the other teachers do? Very few places give paid maternity leave. Most people need to apply for disability for that time...

amother
Charcoal

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 10:58 am
How many hours do you work? Do you get any breaks? Can you get there a bit early, pump and then pump right before you leave?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:01 am
To be DLZ, I possibly hear both sides.

How long do you pump for? What do you teach-a classroom in 3rd grade, or specific periods in high school and then maybe you could teach one less, and have those 53 minutes as a break for you to pump.
Is there a recess or snack time that someone can watch your class during while you pump? Who would realistically be available? Are you expecting them to hire a sub to provide coverage, or can they schedule a specialty (art/music /gym) at that time?

Can you use the Willow Go or something similar to pump while teaching?

What do you think is a reasonable solution? Present it to them.

gigglemom

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:11 am
thats not ok. they are required legally to give you a lunch break.

amother
Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:13 am
OP, are you getting no breaks at all (most teachers get breaks), or do you want additional breaks? Wanting additional breaks isn't realistic. You have to pump on your breaks.

amother
  Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:14 am
gigglemom wrote:

If she works in a school, she most likely does get a lunch break, plus additional breaks.

amother
Antiquewhite  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 11:54 am
By law they must give you breaks, however they can be your normal lunch/ rest breaks that you need to pump in. They also need to give you a private room with a door, an outlet and a chair that isn't a bathroom to pump in. I think they can force you to be off the clock if you are paid hourly.

Talk to a frum attorney who can give you some free advice? See how to best request this?
Yes it is inconvenient for the school but this is the LAW. And I guess they shouldn't hire women who may have kids but that is illegal too.

amother
Hyacinth  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:23 pm
gigglemom wrote:

If she works part time then they are not required to give a lunch break. Many teachers work only half a day

As far as maternity leave, I'm not a teacher and didn't get paid maternity leave either. unfortunately that is common in the US

amother
  Hyacinth  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:37 pm
gigglemom wrote:

If she works part time then they are not required to give a lunch break. Many teachers work only half a day

As far as maternity leave, I'm not a teacher and didn't get paid maternity leave either. unfortunately that is common in the US

amother
NeonOrange  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:38 pm
Hi! I am also a teacher and I don’t get breaks specifically for pumping. I use my lunch break. I have a random break that I also use, but it wasn’t provided for pumping. I wish they’d give me proper breaks but unfortunately they treat mothers horribly. I also had no maternity leave. Your teaching straight from 9-4 tho? U have absolutely no breaks? Not lunch or recess or mincha? I’d do lunch as my morning pump and mincha as my afternoon. If you mamish don’t get breaks then I guess you would have to do hands free. All options are
Horrible but I find schools are the least flexible and bringing in legal will probably just make them angry etc. You are an awesome mom to even try to make this work and take the time out of your day!! It is so so hard and your baby is so so lucky!!

amother
  Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:39 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
By law they must give you breaks, however they can be your normal lunch/ rest breaks that you need to pump in. They also need to give you a private room with a door, an outlet and a chair that isn't a bathroom to pump in. I think they can force you to be off the clock if you are paid hourly.

Talk to a frum attorney who can give you some free advice? See how to best request this?
Yes it is inconvenient for the school but this is the LAW. And I guess they shouldn't hire women who may have kids but that is illegal too.

No, they don't need to do all this. A place to nurse, yes. But an outlet? No.

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:40 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:

If she works part time then she wouldn’t need a lunch break to pump in she could pump when she gets home no?

amother
  Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:40 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Hi! I am also a teacher and I don’t get breaks specifically for pumping. I use my lunch break. I have a random break that I also use, but it wasn’t provided for pumping. I wish they’d give me proper breaks but unfortunately they treat mothers horribly. I also had no maternity leave. Your teaching straight from 9-4 tho? U have absolutely no breaks? Not lunch or recess or mincha? I’d do lunch as my morning pump and mincha as my afternoon. If you mamish don’t get breaks then I guess you would have to do hands free. All options are
Horrible but I find schools are the least flexible and bringing in legal will probably just make them angry etc. You are an awesome mom to even try to make this work and take the time out of your day!! It is so so hard and your baby is so so lucky!!

You get breaks. I don't call not giving additional breaks for pumping, "horrible" treatment.
Schools in my community (and other communities I know of) all have on site babysitting for their staff. I don't call that horrible treatment.

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:44 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
You get breaks. I don't call not giving additional breaks for pumping, "horrible" treatment.

For someone working 9-4 and using their only break to pump is pretty horrible. No time to eat, go to the bathroom, prep, print etc. and really I was referring to having no maternity leave as horrible, which I do think is horrible. However if you think having no maternity leave is not horrible then I give you bracha that you always have that mindset because it is one that I wish I had! Maybe I expect too much that women should be able to have time off to recover…

amother
  Lightblue  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:47 pm
For someone working 9-4 and using their only break to pump is pretty horrible. No time to eat, go to the bathroom, prep, print etc. and really I was referring to having no maternity leave as horrible, which I do think is horrible. However if you think having no maternity leave is not horrible then I give you bracha that you always have that mindset because it is one that I wish I had! Maybe I expect too much that women should be able to have time off to recover…

No paid maternity leave is not a school issue. Most places in the US don't give paid maternity leave.
I didn't get paid leave, same for most women I know.

amother
  NeonOrange  

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:49 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
No paid maternity leave is not a school issue. Most places in the US don't give paid maternity leave.
I didn't get paid leave, same for most women I know.

I’m not saying whose issue it is. I’m saying in general it is horrible that people don’t get maternity leave! However once again, if you are someone who does not find that an issue, then I am only inspired by your strength and fortitude!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:54 pm

You’re supposed to get paid Disability through the state, for maternity leave. Not directly by the school.

amother
  NeonOrange

Post Tue, Oct 31 2023, 12:56 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
You’re supposed to get paid Disability through the state, for maternity leave. Not directly by the school.

I don’t want to takeaway from the original post, so let’s focus on helpful pumping tips for op! However not all states give disability unfortunately:(
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics