Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Sara schnenirer msw
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
They do not accept everyone .
I know that they accepted less than half of the applicants last semester .

Also, less than half is a real small percentage! That's how many applicants they have?

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:25 pm
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
Do you have any more info to share on their program in general? Is it worth to try them again, over other programs?

I don't really, I have heard it is a good program with very good training. Still deciding if I can put myself through school at this point in my life.

I didn't hear the age 30 from them. It was a general impression that I got. If they told someone 25 I would believe that more, as I didn't ask them outright.

amother
Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is it a competitive school to get into?

Not really as long as you’re over 25. Education is frum. Frum classmates and professors if you’re looking for that.

amother
  Crystal  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:31 pm
Do you know any reason for not accepting? Or it's just if classes get full?

They drove my daughter crazy with tons of questions about why she wants to be a social worker. They tried to get her to give some deep dark reason, she felt like they were digging for private personal information. And then they said she was too young, and they'd love to see her in a few years. She was very wierded out by the process (and she also felt that they should not have taken her application fee and her money, and dragged her into NY, if they were not going to take her anyway. And the undergrad program from SS that she did made it seem that this wouldn't be such a difficult process.) She was very turned off and plans to do her graduate elsewhere.

She has a friend who did get in, who lost a parent. Apparently that's a good enough reason to want to be a social worker.

amother
Mayflower  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:37 pm
It's funny they don't don't want young girls with quick BAs when they offer those themselves

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:57 pm
amother Crystal wrote:
They drove my daughter crazy with tons of questions about why she wants to be a social worker. They tried to get her to give some deep dark reason, she felt like they were digging for private personal information. And then they said she was too young, and they'd love to see her in a few years. She was very wierded out by the process (and she also felt that they should not have taken her application fee and her money, and dragged her into NY, if they were not going to take her anyway. And the undergrad program from SS that she did made it seem that this wouldn't be such a difficult process.) She was very turned off and plans to do her graduate elsewhere.

She has a friend who did get in, who lost a parent. Apparently that's a good enough reason to want to be a social worker.

This. The rest of the program is similar. Lots of digging into personal information.

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:01 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
It's funny they don't don't want young girls with quick BAs when they offer those themselves

They do and don't. A large chunk of the BA is seminary credit and some tests, but they do have real classes and work for all the basic things like English, writing, etc... I didn't do their BA, but it seems that it is definitely a better education than CLEPing your way to a BA with TTI.

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:02 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
This. The rest of the program is similar. Lots of digging into personal information.

What does this mean? How do they dig into personal info throughout the program? Are you speaking from personal experience or is this something you heard?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:03 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
What does this mean? How do they dig into personal info throughout the program? Are you speaking from personal experience or is this something you heard?

The classes are framed in this way.

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:04 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

You did the program yourself?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:04 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

Overemphasis on “being vulnerable“ and sharing. Focus is on psychotherapy not social work.

amother
  Celeste  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:06 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Overemphasis on “being vulnerable“ and sharing. Focus is on psychotherapy not social work.

Did you go through the program or are you quoting others on this?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:11 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
Did you go through the program or are you quoting others on this?

Heard from others and was present for some classes. Will leave it at that.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:14 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:

I've heard similar from someone that's involved in their program. They put a lot of emphasis on vulnerability, and their classes are like therapy session style.

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:18 pm
It’s also run much like a mosad. The administration is not very flexible…

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:21 pm
What other options are there for frum social work programs?

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:22 pm
What other options are there for frum social work programs?

Rebetzin bulka/ LIU
Tti
Touro is somewhat frum

amother
  Whitewash  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:22 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Rebetzin bulka/ LIU
Tti
Touro is somewhat frum

The YIEP offers mental health counseling

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:29 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Rebetzin bulka/ LIU
Tti
Touro is somewhat frum

I was looking into Reb. Bulka's program, they said I might have an issue getting accepted with my BA from Excelsior college.
TTI is an option, but I'm wondering what type of program it is, and how their college ranks. It is a lot of work involved, I might as well do it with a good accredited college.
Touro isn't really frum; it's just a women-only class.

amother
  Lemonchiffon  

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:30 pm
I was looking into Reb. Bulka's program, they said I might have an issue getting accepted with my BA from Excelsior college.
TTI is an option, but I'm wondering what type of program it is, and how their college ranks. It is a lot of work involved, I might as well do it with a good accredited college.
Touro isn't really frum; it's just a women-only class.

I am considering the above, and would appreciate more info on any of those.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics