Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Chocolate chip cookies with oil
1  2  Next

mommy24  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:25 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies using oil instead of margerine? TIA

HooRYou  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:34 pm
Tamar Ansch wrote a column for Mishpacha a while back that was all recipes for cookies without margarine. If I remember correctly she included a chocolate chip recipe. If you know someone who keeps their mags (or even just the recipes) you could find it. If I still have the recipe I will B"N try and get it to you.

mommy24  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:38 pm
thanks, I don't get it but I have friends htat do, I will ask one oof them to borrow it, thanks!

greentiger

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:39 pm
I just use the same recipe and replace a cup of margerine with 3/4 c of oil. Comes out great.

Ima'la  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:47 pm
That's basically what Tamar Ansh did also. I thought they came out too crunchy - I like my cookies softer. I use 7/8 c. oil to 1 c. marg.

chocolate moose  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:52 pm
what's the mayleh? oil has some saturated fat (trans fat) you know.

mandksima

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:52 pm
I got the recipe from here, not sure where, maybe in a thread about avoiding margarine. Either way, the trick is to bake cookies about 8 minutes and let them harden on the cooling rack before touching. Then they're very soft and chewy.

sarahnurit

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:55 pm
I use a recipe with oil-not much margarine in this part of the country available-but I don't know it by heaart. Will look for it!
The trick of letting the cookies cool on the rack works great for us...we finish them in 1 day!!!

HooRYou

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 1:00 pm
I also find that oil cookies come out chewier if they are allowed to chill before baking.

qeenB  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:10 pm
levana kirschenbaum has the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in her cookbook levana's table . she specifically formulated the recipe using oil. here goes:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
3/4 cup plus 2 tbl spoons oil
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 best quality chocolate chips

yields about 4 doz

preheat oven to 375 bake 8-10 minutes depending on how thick the tray. the cookies firm up when cooled so don't over bake

enjoy! warning highly addictive !!

ChossidMom  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:44 pm
Here is Tamar Ansch's recipe from Mishpacha(I save recipes):

No Margarine Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup canola oil (no trans fat there)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

Beat this together for five minutes until it becomes somewhat thicker.
Change the mixer piece toyour "K" hook and then add:
2 cups white flour
2/3 cup cocoa
3/4 tst baking soda

Mix until it is a cookie dough. Add 1 cup choc. chips any size. Or a mix of black chips and white chips.

Roll these into balls and place on lined cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Do not flatten. Bake at 350 (180 C) for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. They are done the first minute that you see wrinkles and lines on the tops of them. Let them harden before removing. Freeze (airtight) - or they won't be there in the morning!

mommy24  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:06 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies, everytime I tried subbing oil instead of margerine, they came out very oily, even though I put less than it called for.

CM I like using oil instead of maregerine, canola oil has no trans fat.

Chosidmom I think I will try your recipe next time with white chocolate chips.

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 4:06 pm
I use canola oil instead of margarine all the time. I'm not so picky about my cookies though, I'd rather they be healthier than be perfect.

Today I took the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the purple cookbook, subbed the oil for margarine, and instead of adding chocolate chips, I melted them and added it to the batter. I don't think they're so great but good enough, and everyone else around here thought they were really good.

chocolate moose  

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 5:53 pm
Look on the label, if you see saturated fat on the ingredients, that's trans fat.

Saturated fat turns to cholesteorl in the body.

mommy24  

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 6:10 am
THanks, I made the levana kirshenbaum recipe, it came out so good, my daughter said to me on shabbos, thanks for buying htese cookies, they are so delicious. Anybody who does make htem I would advise you to double the batch, they go very quickly.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Jan 13 2008, 6:29 am
qeenB wrote:
levana kirschenbaum has the most delicious chocolate chip cookies in her cookbook levana's table . she specifically formulated the recipe using oil. here goes:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

yields about 4 doz

preheat oven to 375 bake 8-10 minutes depending on how thick the tray. the cookies firm up when cooled so don't over bake

This is 7/8 c. oil, like I suggested subbing for 1 c. marg - glad to see it corroborated and to hear it came out so good!

mamacita

Post Tue, Jan 15 2008, 6:27 am
qeenB wrote:
2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt

yields about 4 doz

My dough came out crumbly, any ideas why? I added a bit more oil and a splash of water to get it to mix better.

Batya

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 5:56 am
I just wanted to ask in levona Kirshenbaums recipe it calls for dark brown sugar, would it make a difference if I used light brown sugar.
Also, it says in the recipe 1 1/2 best quality choc chip, I presume its talking about cups.
Thanks for this thread I was just looking for a choc chip recipe and this thread was at the very top. Very Happy

chocolate moose  

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:13 am
I copied the recipes and thank you all very much - I jsut want to restate that Canola oil - and choclate chips, for that matter- DO have saturated fat, which turns to cholesterol in the body.

So if you're trying to avoid trans fat, you're not really accomplishing your goal.

Soon, IYH, I'm going to tally the cholesterol in margarine v. oil.

mummy-bh  

Post Wed, Jan 16 2008, 7:21 am
mamacita wrote:

My dough came out crumbly, any ideas why? I added a bit more oil and a splash of water to get it to mix better.

You just gave me an amazing tip!
Thank you!!

I was just making a cookie recipe (not the one above) and substituted oil for marg, but the dough wouldn't bind. It was just crumbs. I added a touch of water (actually needed a couple of tablespoons) after reading your post, and voila! perfect!
Thanks!! Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins