Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:06 pm
Certain headwraps

aliavi

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 2:47 pm
sky wrote:
There was a tzinius asifa once in Lakewood - the speaker said you should not wear red. And she added the rav who looks over my notes asked me to clarify so he doesn’t get 100s of calls - it means fire engine red - not pink and not light red. And doesn’t apply to small parts of red. Only solid garment of fire engine red.

I realize there are differences of opinion but in past generations women wore so much color. Look at wedding videos from the 70s, 80s and even the 90s women only wore beautiful colored dresses. This includes Rebbetzin’s. No one would dream of wearing black, grey or white.

The poster that mentioned the darker colors she wore and that it was about tznuis has a basis for holding that way. My comment was directed to that. I don’t know this anonymous speaker in Lakewood or her sources but I do know Rav Falk ZTZL and that there is a basis for someone to hold the way she does. We need to respect that and not imply she’s wrong by telling her to speak with her rav. Funny, in Rav Falk’s sefer (which is why I mentioned him when others hold the same) he counters the very argument you used about comparing generations.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 3:17 pm
To me there is absolutely nothing worse than little kids in knee socks that wont stay up. I do understand why there is a need thou in yeshivish communities..
If you wont put your little girls on short socks and tights are just too hot..

amother
Cobalt  

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 5:30 pm
lilies wrote:
I meant from the kid's perspective. I see many little kids dressed in the 'clothing of the season', as opposed to what a child would likely pick for themselves. Last season, the stores were selling black and white, solid greys, and nothing that would grab a child's heart. Way too staid. Let little girls have ruffles and bows, polka-dots and color!

Good for you for finding bright and fun stuff!

Not all kids. My preschooler has a couple of Shabbos dresses, all different colors. Her favorite dress is all black, and second fave is black and white. The one that has the most colors is the one she likes the least!

honey36

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 5:34 pm
I also kind of like the plain, neutral, clean look on kids, but you only get to be a kid once! That's why I also like to shop at Carter's etc. My toddlers and preschoolers love being dressed with trucks or animals on their shirts or for girls bright polka dots or star patterns etc. Also the flippy sequince kids still love them.

Once saw a lady wearing a pompom hat...matching to her 3 year old and infant baby. Thought that was a bit funny looking.

amother
  Cobalt

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 5:42 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
I love the styles they sell in frum stores now. Its so clean and so simple. I HATE carters and childrens place style maybe maybe for a girl but theres nothing to buy for baby boys theyre way too busy and too much going on

When my daughter was a baby/ toddler, I bought most of her clothes in Carter's and Oshkosh. She was always dressed cute, and an acquaintance of mine (a bit of a designer clothes snob) once asked where I got her outfit because she liked it and had a baby a few months younger. I told her it's from Carter's like most of her other clothes. She couldn't wrap her head around it. She admitted that she likes most of my daughter's clothes, but she'd be embarrassed to step into that store and she'd of course never admit if she did have clothing from there!!
That said, my son never had clothes from there (aside for some jeans) because I HATE their boy's styles!! They should really make some cute stuff for boys, just as they do for the girls!

fleetwood

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 6:17 pm
The shoes with fur and gowns with shells.

amother
  Navy

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
When my daughter was a baby/ toddler, I bought most of her clothes in Carter's and Oshkosh. She was always dressed cute, and an acquaintance of mine (a bit of a designer clothes snob) once asked where I got her outfit because she liked it and had a baby a few months younger. I told her it's from Carter's like most of her other clothes. She couldn't wrap her head around it. She admitted that she likes most of my daughter's clothes, but she'd be embarrassed to step into that store and she'd of course never admit if she did have clothing from there!!
That said, my son never had clothes from there (aside for some jeans) because I HATE their boy's styles!! They should really make some cute stuff for boys, just as they do for the girls!

I know a lot of the carters boys clothes have dinosaurs or aliens and Im not putting that on my son

amother
Crimson  

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 6:42 pm
I'm going to echo the tights and bloomers on boys. And leggings past 2.5 years old or so on boys.
But, I also really don't like the regular stores boys dress clothes. I found some nice weekday tops in Carter's, gap etc. But I'm not putting my 2 year old boy in a white Oxford shirt and baggy slacks. I really like the shabbos shirts the frum stores sell with simple patterns that are shabbosdik without looking like a shabbos Abba.

The other thing that makes me crazy is the frizzy type shaitels in an attempt to look more natural. It just looks like a mess

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, May 01 2020, 7:37 pm
I hear why so many of you don’t like leggings but they are so much more comfortable than the other choices. For little kids that are active.. I wish there was a more boyish option that was just as comfy

amother
  Orange  

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 3:37 pm
sky wrote:
There was a tzinius asifa once in Lakewood - the speaker said you should not wear red. And she added the rav who looks over my notes asked me to clarify so he doesn’t get 100s of calls - it means fire engine red - not pink and not light red. And doesn’t apply to small parts of red. Only solid garment of fire engine red.

I realize there are differences of opinion but in past generations women wore so much color. Look at wedding videos from the 70s, 80s and even the 90s women only wore beautiful colored dresses. This includes Rebbetzin’s. No one would dream of wearing black, grey or white.

In past generations women didn't cover their hair and many other things contradictory to halacha. Doesn't mean it was right. And yes I discussed tznius with my Rav in the past and very bright, attention drawing colors were a no no according to his psak. I just listed the colors I have personally in my wardrobe (which suit me).

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 5:27 pm
I think that "hate" is a really strong word. There are things I wouldn't be caught dead in, there are things that are very unflattering on certain figures, but at the end of the day, none of that actually impacts my life.

What I dislike, is any kind of leggings on boys or girls, where you can clearly see the diaper. It's just... ewww. Leggings on boys who are out of diapers - if you can see an outline of their privates, that is really not tznius either.

On women, anything that is two sizes too small for their figure. I had a friend once who was about 150 lbs overweight, and she always dressed exquisitely. She had excellent taste, and knew exactly what would look best on her. She didn't hide under potato sacks, but she didn't pretend that leggings were her friend, either.

On men, having the buttons on your shirt straining to burst over your pot belly. Please, get some shirts tailored to fit! If you have to unbutton your shirt when you sit down, then something is very wrong.

All of these are petty little things, and generally a case of bad fit, and not necessarily of bad fashion.

Soul on fire

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 11:37 pm
Skinny pants on boys...especially little boys still in diapers in my class at our gan. It's impossible to pull them up and down!!

naturalmom5

Post Sat, May 02 2020, 11:46 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Nude tights for little girls.

In numerous threads like this I always say

The Calla meidel look on a 12 year old, No, just no..

As well, as cufflinks on a 9 year old boy

The miniature Wall St banker look...

They have all their life to look like adults, let them be children while they still can for crying out loud

amother
Papaya  

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:04 am
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:

I have a baby boy now and his clothing from Carter's is adorable. I also love their girls stuff.

amother
  Papaya

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:06 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I hear why so many of you don’t like leggings but they are so much more comfortable than the other choices. For little kids that are active.. I wish there was a more boyish option that was just as comfy

Joggers, sweats, straight leg.

paintbrush

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:49 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I have a baby boy now and his clothing from Carter's is adorable. I also love their girls stuff.

Yes carters has adorable baby boy clothing. Not sure about for toddlers. I don’t like their baby girl clothing as much.

amother
  Crimson  

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:01 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
Joggers, sweats, straight leg.

I don't like the athletic wear look. For weekday I use girl jeggings for my toddler boy (in black, navy, grey etc) because he's very skinny but I don't like the leggings look on him, he's too big. They're fitted but not leggings.
Shabbos pants are really hard. I got skinny chinos from one brand but they're huge on the waist and the fabric is so stiff he can't get up onto the couch with them. I don't want to spend $30 on pants in the frum stores but haven't found an alternative

glamourmom  

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:19 am
it's odd to me that so many amothers "hate" frum clothes stores. I personally love their styles, not all but most, they range from fun to funky to classic and cute. If only the prices were more reasonable I'd do my full shopping for my kiddies and myself strictly in Jewish stores.

also, for all the amothers saying they hate nude tights on little girls, can you explain why? what do your 10 yr olds wear in the summer on Shabbos?

SixOfWands  

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:25 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I don't like the athletic wear look. For weekday I use girl jeggings for my toddler boy (in black, navy, grey etc) because he's very skinny but I don't like the leggings look on him, he's too big. They're fitted but not leggings.
Shabbos pants are really hard. I got skinny chinos from one brand but they're huge on the waist and the fabric is so stiff he can't get up onto the couch with them. I don't want to spend $30 on pants in the frum stores but haven't found an alternative

Jeggings are leggings made to look like skin tight denim jeans.

I think what you’re looking for is slim fit joggers.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics