Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How many teachers in your school have formal education train
1  2  3  Next

tzatza  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 11:36 am
I am just curious why isn't it a requirement for all teachers to have degree in education? I know that yeshivas hire sometimes young girls without any formal training. What r your thoughts on it? Isn't it scary that a class of 4, 5 year old kids is handled by someone with no experience or formal education?

Ruchel  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 11:42 am
scary. I would never send to such a "school"!

gryp  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 12:48 pm
The only degree I'm concerned about is one in Yiras Shamayim and Midos.
As far as experience, most girls that age have some kind of experience in taking care of children.

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 12:52 pm
most of my teachers never went to college. if u teach in a bais yaakov, college is looked down at and we are told how bad it can be for us if we go, so why would they require teachers to have degrees. altho there were some nonjewish english teachers with degrees, and very few of the jewish ones had.

MMEC123

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 6:19 pm
I am a teacher and based on that experience I will tell you- you can have a teacher who has all the degrees in the world and is a lousy teacher and you can have a teacher with no formal training who is amazing. I would not judge based on that alone!

mummiedearest  

Post Thu, Nov 15 2007, 6:30 pm
frankly, I'd rather my kids' teachers in preschool had common sense and a loving disposition than a degree in ed. do you know the pressures they put on preschoolers these days to perform academically? let them be kids for a few more years, I say.

Ruchel  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 2:51 am
Why choose between degree and good teacher ? I don’t get it.
And no, most girls are not able to take care of a classroom of children without a training…

tzatza  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 6:03 am
OP here,

Maybe I was not too clear with my initial post, but in no way do I imply that degree=good teaching skills, or vice versa. It is not about choosing, as Ruchel pointed out (thank you). And no, I do not agreee, that most girls have experience with kids (siblings don't count). When I am sending my children to school I do expect a certain level of education and professional experience (by the way, there are great teachers who never got formal education but polished their skills over the years; my concern is with those who have neither). Middos and Yiras Shamayim are all great things, but they cannot make up for the lack of good education in teaching children. Sorry, I am just not buying it. Maybe I have very high standards ( I am coming from a country where the education was excellent, and becoming a teacher meant extensive training in all areas). And those teachers (for the most part) did live up to parents' expectations as educators. Anyway, I think it is sad that people see nothing wrong with dumping a 18, 19, 20 years old girl (just out of seminary) into a room full of pre-schoolers with different temperaments, skills, backgrounds, etc.
Just my 2 cents.

gryp  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 7:57 am
Personally, the only thing I send my preschooler to school for is to reinforce Yiras Shamayim and Midos Tovos. Nothing else in the world is more important than that.

Of course siblings count into the equation when learning to take care of children. That's how girls learn what it means to take good care of little kids. And that's what kids need- to be taken good care of so they are comfortable and open to learning.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 8:11 am
I don't agree with dumping sem grads into preschool classrooms. mostly, in fact, I see them dumped into elementary school classes and put as assistants in preschool. the preschool morahs are usually married women in at least their late twenties who do have experience with kids. they are generally better than the grade school teachers.

tzatza  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 9:33 am
GR wrote:
Personally, the only thing I send my preschooler to school for is to reinforce Yiras Shamayim and Midos Tovos. Nothing else in the world is more important than that.

THat is the only thing you think a school should be for?

Clarissa  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 9:48 am
tzatza wrote:
OP here,

Maybe I was not too clear with my initial post, but in no way do I imply that degree=good teaching skills, or vice versa. It is not about choosing, as Ruchel pointed out (thank you). And no, I do not agreee, that most girls have experience with kids (siblings don't count). When I am sending my children to school I do expect a certain level of education and professional experience (by the way, there are great teachers who never got formal education but polished their skills over the years; my concern is with those who have neither). Middos and Yiras Shamayim are all great things, but they cannot make up for the lack of good education in teaching children. Sorry, I am just not buying it. Maybe I have very high standards ( I am coming from a country where the education was excellent, and becoming a teacher meant extensive training in all areas). And those teachers (for the most part) did live up to parents' expectations as educators. Anyway, I think it is sad that people see nothing wrong with dumping a 18, 19, 20 years old girl (just out of seminary) into a room full of pre-schoolers with different temperaments, skills, backgrounds, etc.
Just my 2 cents.

I believe all teachers should have degrees in teaching. First of all, I don't want teachers who haven't learned enough to attempt to teach my child. I've met "teachers" whose grammar and writing skills were deplorable, and they're teaching basic skills to small children. Ridiculous. Also, part of getting a decent education in education (redundant, I know) is learning about the complex issues involved in dealing with young children, socially, psychologically, etc. Being sweet is just not enough.

Although I agree that there are well-educated teachers who are bad, and uneducated teachers who are good, I definitely care that my children's teachers be well-educated, with degrees in teaching, sometimes advanced degrees. At our school, this is the case. It does make tuition higher (getting good people costs $), but it's worth it to me. When I talk to them, I can see how bright, articulate and academically well-rounded they are. In fact, I just got home from my son's parent-teacher conference, and I was very impressed with his teachers.

Pickle Lady  

Post Fri, Nov 16 2007, 10:11 am
Would you consider 2 years of seminary with teaching classes, a formal education for teaching?

Ruchel  

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 9:40 am
In France there are sems that deliver state degrees. I would definitely consider that a training.

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 11:44 am
I don't necessarily think that a teacher must have a degree in teaching. They must however love to be with the age and gender they are teaching, and have a knowledge of the subject they are teaching. They should understand the age that they are teaching as well; what this age child is generally like etc. as well as how to help children of different styles learn.

But a teaching degree doesn't necessarily guarantee that will happen. And there are people who are incredible teachers who have never been to teaching college.

tzipp

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 5:56 pm
It is also unfair to the teachers; it is frustrating to go into a classroom without the right education. The schools allow it so it has become accepted. So I don't onlyblame the teachers. And it also takes a lot of money to pay trained teachers. This is a complicated issue.

Pickle Lady  

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 6:19 pm
I think that for a teacher to have a "good" training they should be in a school that teach what a teacher needs to know. 1/3 of university degrees are classes to make a person "well rounded" to me they are total garbage and a waste of time.

Teachers should have some training and maybe like an apprenticeship program with mentors. This would probably be the best method to me but I don't think it exists of does it.

I have my own shtick about university degrees most are just there to keep universities making money. BA's are a total waste and just keep people thinking they are smart.

Why are people so hung up on degrees?

Clarissa  

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 6:30 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
I think that for a teacher to have a "good" training they should be in a school that teach what a teacher needs to know. 1/3 of university degrees are classes to make a person "well rounded" to me they are total garbage and a waste of time.

Teachers should have some training and maybe like an apprenticeship program with mentors. This would probably be the best method to me but I don't think it exists of does it.

I have my own shtick about university degrees most are just there to keep universities making money. BA's are a total waste and just keep people thinking they are smart.

Why are people so hung up on degrees?

I do think there are certain careers where having a college degree doesn't matter. My entire career was spent working in such a field, where being reasonably intelligent and creative counted, and nobody cared if you went to college. You couldn't work there and be inarticulate, but you certainly didn't need a BA or MA.

Still, I think teachers absolutely should get an education that makes them well-rounded. You have to be capable of discourse about so many things, and having a background where you're proficient in grammar, history, psychology and other topics will certainly give you more to offer your students, and a greater understanding of issues that arise. The other day my son's teacher was doing a type of program with the kids that she'd learned in graduate school, and the kids loved it. Being a good teacher is more than being kind, being able to tie shoes and having some basic knowledge. Shaping young minds takes a lot.

I still remember a teacher I knew who constantly peppered her conversation with misused words and grammatical errors.

amother  

Post Sat, Nov 17 2007, 6:57 pm
I worked in a preschool after two years of seminary. Looking back, there is no way I would want myself as a teacher for my children. Not preschool not anywhere. I was immature, had no patience and no disciplinary skills. I saw many people in my same situation. Girls who freaked out and started screaming if a cup of apple juice was spilled. Now, many years later, I look back and shudder on those who hired me.

Ruchel  

Post Sun, Nov 18 2007, 4:14 am
Pickle Lady wrote:

huh, ok... apparently bosses don't agree.
A degree = a better wage. A degree = if they hesitate between you and another guy, they'll hire you.
I can also tell by general culture who has a degree and who hasn't. And university here is free anyway.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics