Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Teens with makeup

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:42 am
From what age do you think its ok for teenaged girls to wear makeup?
From what age would you allow it? Encourage it?
If your daughter wore makeup "too young" what would you do to discourage it?
Would you discourage freindships with girls who wear makeup "too young"?

binah918

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:53 am
When I was much younger, maybe 10, I had a good friend who wore lots of make-up out of the house. I wanted to do the same bc she was so "cool." My parents refused, but instead of making a big deal out of it and trying to end my friendship, my mother helped me organize a few fun "dress-up" sleep overs with my friends. Everyone, including this girl, would come over to my house with a bag of make-up, hair things, and dress-up clothes and we'd play and take pictures. We had soooo much fun, and I think my parents handled it in a very smart way. They let me wear bright red nail polish and lipstick at 10 years old...in the privacy of our own house, at "dress-up" sleep overs that my own mother organized.
Getting it out of my system this way, I didn't really have a desire to wear make-up out of the house like my friend.

In the middle of high school they let me wear "natural" makeup. This meant cover-up for blemishes and some lip gloss. But that's all I was interested in wearing anyway. To this day, I'm not so into make-up.

Ruchel  

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:55 am
Quote:
From what age do you think its ok for teenaged girls to wear makeup?

16+

It's not useful before shidduchim (although even then, it's only if she wants) though.

Quote:

From what age would you allow it?

16 I think, unless no girl wears it except her. Before 16 it just looks weird and "for attention".

Quote:
Encourage it?

Never. It's not my business to encourage it. But allow, yes.

Quote:
If your daughter wore makeup "too young" what would you do to discourage it?

Talk. See why she does it. I might allow very light make up if her school and surroundings won't see her badly and her self esteem needs it, although I really hope by the time she'll think of make up I will have taught her that self esteem should have nothing to do with make up!

If she does it for male attention c'v or provocation, I may stop giving pocket money if she buys make up behind my back.

Quote:
Would you discourage freindships with girls who wear makeup "too young"?

No, unless they have a generally bad attitude.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 9:56 am
binah918 wrote:
Everyone, including this girl, would come over to my house with a bag of make-up, hair things, and dress-up clothes and we'd play and take pictures. We had soooo much fun, and I think my parents handled it in a very smart way. They let me wear bright red nail polish and lipstick at 10 years old...in the privacy of our own house, at "dress-up" sleep overs that my own mother organized.
Getting it out of my system this way, I didn't really have a desire to wear make-up out of the house like my friend.

great idea!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 19 2007, 10:46 am
dd had makeup barbie, too.

Mrs.Norris

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 12:00 am
I would say it's acceptable from 14, I mean now I see girls wearing make up at 11. It's quite upsetting, in my opinion, but there's nothing that can be done to stop kids growing up quicker and quicker. But any younger than 14 and I would strongly discourage it by telling my daughter she doesn't need make up, is beautiful without it, build up her self esteem maybe get her hair done nice and paint her nails but I would never encourage wearing make up.
As for stopping friendships, no way! Make up should be the least of my worries, it's something so superficial.

Oh and by make up I don't mean lipgloss or nail varnish which kids often use to simply mess around with, I mean proper make up ... foundation, blusher, eye shadow, eyeliner ...

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 12:23 am
I know this is in the opposite direction, but just a cautionary note about encouraging a girl to wear makeup when you think it is the appropriate age for her...

I was self-conscious about my looks and felt devastated one day when my mother came home with makeup and encouraged me to start wearing it...(I was about 16)...so I'd be careful about how makeup is "forbidden" but also about how it might be encouraged...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics