Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mom beats son for participating in Baltimore riots
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11 12  13  14  Next

sequoia  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:33 pm
I LIVED in Harlem, you silly racist. All my neighbors were wonderful, helpful, kind, and normal. Sure as heck felt more comfortable there than I ever would in BP.

PinkFridge  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:47 pm
Before this gets locked, as we talk about our immigrant ancestors, our history didn't start with Europe. Our ancestors came to America knowing this was the kind of escaping and rebuilding in a new land that had done repeatedly through history.

gp2.0  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 8:51 pm
Lol, it is just so ridiculous to claim that it is valid to be more scared of some people than others based on their skin colors. I have met black people who intimidated me, but I have also met white people who intimidated me. And people of every shade of skin color in between. Likewise I've met black people I really liked, and white people I really liked.

To keep insisting that you can judge/hate someone based on the color of their skin without knowing anything else about them is the definition of racism.

shoshanim999  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:17 pm
I'm asking a simple direct question- in a hypothetical situation, if u were stranded in middle of the night, where would u rather be, Harlem or boro park? Sequoa lived in Harlem and would prefer to be stranded in Harlem. I respect that. That being said, if u don't think that 90%+ would choose boro park, ur fooling urself.

Scrabble123  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:25 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Some posters r calling me racist. I think I'm a realist. Is there anybody here that wouldn't be more scared (actually terrified) if they were alone, walking down the street in Harlem new york while wearing jewelry? How would u feel if instead of harlem it was boro park? You would certainly be more comfortable. Does that mean that u believe all blacks r dangerous and all Jews aren't? How would sone of u explain why u would fear for ur life walking in harlem amongst people u dont know and have never even met? Does it make u racist?

Well, Shoshanim: I guess you haven't been to Harlem recently - it's been cleaned up!
Anyways, the fear isn't about the color of the occupants' skin. It's about it being an area of high crime. If I'd walk through East LA amongst members of the Aves or 13 I'd also be pretty scared, about as scared as I'd be walking amongst Bloods or even the WHITE KKK. People are more afraid in areas of higher crime - that's why I'm sure you would rather be stranded in what you are referring to as "Harlem" than say El Salvador or Johannesburg... As I said to another poster, you are confusing race and poverty.

People would rather stay out of higher crime neighborhoods not because of race but because.. well, they are HIGHER CRIME NEIGHBORHOODS!

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

sequoia  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:35 pm
It's really not scary. It's a fun, diverse neighborhood. My block had a wholesome family feel to it. People looked out for each other.

shoshanim999  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:44 pm
Is there any predominantly black neighborhood that is not "high crime"? I'm not ashamed to admit I'm wrong. It just seems that considering the % of blacks there r in this country, they r involved in a high % of crime. I'm sure someone has the stat about what % of the prison population is blacks. So either they r being picked on, falsely arrested and prosecuted, or maybe they r more involved in criminal activity than the rest of us.

mille

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 9:59 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
The jews in meah shearim that destroy property and block traffic r disgraceful. I guess Iv'e lost respect for the black community because it just seems that they have very few redeeming qualities. It seems that they r on the top of every bad statistic. My main point was that I thought their "protest" was baloney. I still don't think they care one bit about Freddie Grey. I also think that if u would compile a list of problems facing the black community, police violence would not rank very high. Yet this is the single issue that bonds this community. They don't seem to protest anything else. Also, is the bar so low that we r actually giving credit for the fact that the first 6 days of protest was peaceful. You mean we don't have a right to completely expect that???

Do you still not realize that every single one of your comments is generalizing the "black community" the same way you would be generalizing ALL jews and NOT just "the jews in mea shearim"? It's exactly like seeing that a select group of chareidi jews do bad things like destroy property, block traffic, and throw rocks and such, and then saying "Why doesn't the Jewish community get their sh** together and stop it?" Wouldn't you be sitting here pulling your hair out, thinking "it's not all of us! it's not all jews! it's not even all chareidi jews!", and how frustrating it is to be lumped together with people because you share one small trait, like religion, or skin color, or common ancestry.

So stop it. Surely you hate antisemitism as much as the next Jew. So quit doing the same thing to other groups. It is not becoming. I actually think it's quite a disgrace to hear Jews speaking such blind hatred against another group. We of all groups KNOW what it's like to discriminated against because of something we cannot control. I simply cannot fathom why any Jew would find it appropriate to do the same exact thing.

shoshanim999  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:05 pm
I don't hate black people at all. I'm just very afraid of them. Maybe I'm imagining all these issues that I always thought existed in their community.

Raindropsonrose  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:07 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Is there any predominantly black neighborhood that is not "high crime"? I'm not ashamed to admit I'm wrong. It just seems that considering the % of blacks there r in this country, they r involved in a high % of crime. I'm sure someone has the stat about what % of the prison population is blacks. So either they r being picked on, falsely arrested and prosecuted, or maybe they r more involved in criminal activity than the rest of us.

http://www.theroot.com/photos/......html

shoshanim999  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:18 pm
I agree that its not fair to lump everybody together.However, The difference between the chareidim in israel and the blacks in say NYC (where I Live) is that while I surely don't have the numbers, I'm going to guess and say that the % of charedim that block traffic and damage property is less than 1%. I don't know the % of black people that have committed violent crimes, but a quick google search tells me that while blacks make up just 23% of the population in NYC, they perpetrate 80% of the violent crimes. I have to concede that it isn't fair of me to lump them all together. However, when the % is so high (as opposed to the % of charedim doing harm in israel) it reflects on them as a group. I think I'm done posting on this. I appreciate everyone's opinion and I don't mind the criticism at all.

sequoia  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:26 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I don't hate black people at all. I'm just very afraid of them. Maybe I'm imagining all these issues that I always thought existed in their community.

Don't be afraid.

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:28 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:

You are not totally wrong. KJ has a higher poverty rate than Newburgh which is in the same county. Both communities have a large cash economy and live off of government programs. The city of Newburgh has significantly more street crime than other parts of the county (except for other inner cities). KJ has significantly less.

When you walk through Newburgh you will see drug dealers doing business, street hookers, gangs. There are crack vials on the ground. The language is offensive. It is not uncommon for violence to break out. As I stated up thread, the moms sit on the porch steps with their belts threatening the kids. There is an atmosphere of intimidation with metal detectors and security guards in the schools. The street crime can't be explained solely by poverty. Family and community structure must be also be considered.

I have spent significant time in the inner city. Personally, I was not afraid. My experience was similar to Sequoia's only I would rather walk through KJ than Newburgh if I were stranded.

PinkFridge  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:30 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I'm asking a simple direct question- in a hypothetical situation, if u were stranded in middle of the night, where would u rather be, Harlem or boro park? Sequoa lived in Harlem and would prefer to be stranded in Harlem. I respect that. That being said, if u don't think that 90%+ would choose boro park, ur fooling urself.

OK, so I'd pick BP because honestly if I had a choice to be near a house with a mezuza - and lots of them - or not on a dark night, I'd pick the former. That doesn't mean I agree with everything you've said. I've lived most of my life in integrated neighborhoods/integrated blocks and have not felt uncomfortable with my neighbors. No, I don't know them well and do not socialize on any level but there are lots of decent people and families around. There are many people in whom the tzelem Elokim isn't buried.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raindropsonrose

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:30 pm
htb wrote:
http://www.theroot.com/photos/2014/04/_10_affluent_black_neighborhoods.html

Why on earth would anyone hug me for this status?

vintagebknyc  

Post Thu, Apr 30 2015, 10:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Look up the protest tactics of ACT-UP in the 80's and 90's. We were very committed to non violent protest, and we succeeded in shutting down all kinds of places. Unfortunately we were occasionally on the receiving end of police violence, but we never, EVER fought back. We videotaped everything, and fought back through the proper channels.

I was involved in planning the Actions Committee in NYC, as well as being the chair of the Media Relations Committee. I personally barged into Malcom Forbes's office, and had a sit down meeting with him about an article in his magazine that was very derogatory towards people with AIDS. (Malcom was a mentch, and printed a retraction.)

We shut down the NY Times and the Post more times than I can even remember, as well as the CDC, the first annual AIDS conference in Montreal, NY city hall, and the capitol building in Albany. I got arrested in that one, and spent a night in jail. Good times (not).

I almost got arrested in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral, but the police decided they didn't want to waste the man hours and paperwork, so they just let us lie there in the street until everyone got bored and decided that the point had been made. Same thing happened at Thompkins Square Park, when we rallied for the homeless in solidarity.

I also helped out at needle exchanges (very illegal to do in NY!), passed out condoms and educational booklets, and registered people to vote.

We managed to completely change the face of health care for people with AIDS, the most untouchable of untouchables, and all without looting a single store or burning any cars.

this is a really important post, FF. when you did this work you likely met my late, dear friend spencer cox, we were at columbia together. he changed the world, saved millions of lives, a fought the good fight without violence.

debsey  

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 12:22 am
Squishy wrote:
Would you kindly back up your sophisticated and educated views with some facts? Sonia Sotomayor regularly condemns the police abuse of power especially the erosion of 4th amendment rights. She lived with the prejudice and abuse so she can be counted on to champion reigning them in. She was a voice of reason when she was on the court of appeals and identified with plaintiffs. She did not buy the defense of how dangerous the profession of cops is. I trust she is educated and sophisticated enough. More important she actually knows first hand because she lived it in the Bronx projects.

BTW cops are not even in the top fatal injury work rates according to the Bureau of Labor statistics. Truck drivers are in a way more dangerous profession, but no one gives them a pass on homicides. They put their life on the line more often than cops as does, fisherman, farmers, garbageman. Garbageman go into minority areas and are exposed to more hostility than cops, yet we don't hear of them murdering minorities.

For starters, this article http://www.securitynewsdesk.co.....rain/

A police officer who is in a confrontation with a suspect - who maybe had to chase him or who felt at all angered or threatened - his brain will become adrenalized - and then he's going to overreact. Malcom Gladwell has a whole chapter on how high-speed police chases lead to police brutality because by the time you've caught the guy, your brain is so flooded with adrenaline, you're primed for violence. (Malcom Gladwell also has an article about how the worst offenders for police brutality are often the same people, over and over, and a simple solution would be to strongly investigate the officers with the most complaints about them, but that's a whole different discussion)

A truck driver may be in the statistically more dangerous job, but he's not likely to feel a level of threat or adrenaline when he's sitting in his cab making a routine run. It's kind of like how people are nervous on airplanes, but statistically, crossing the street or driving to Grandma's is more dangerous. The stats are irrelevant, the emotional state is what matters.

I feel like police are being held up to a ridiculous standard with no training to deal with it. Just because on TV a cop can shoot to wound, or the cop seems to have a sixth sense about who's holding a toy gun and who's really dangerous, doesn't mean in the real word a cop can do this! Police officers are trained to shoot to kill, because in an adrenalinzed situation, you shoot the largest target (since your brain is so "not smart" at that point, you could miss and hit a bystander). You can't put people in dangerous, highly adrenalized situations and expect them to always make the best choices.

It's kind of how Israel does its best to minimize civilian casualties, and then is held up to the most ridiculous standard by the court of public opinion. You're asking them to fight a war, be shot at from a building, and then
first ask, before shooting back "was this building perhaps once a school?" No other country is asked to wage war this way, but Israel is condemned, even though they try to do this.

In the same way, it's so easy to be a Monday morning quaterback and say "the police should have known that guy was unarmed." But when it's dark and scary and a guy is yelling and waving something that might be a gun, training takes over and the cop shoots!

If you want to say the training is at fault - fine. But you can't condemn the police in a blanket way.

Last edited by debsey on Fri, May 01 2015, 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 12:26 am
Squishy wrote:
You are not totally wrong. KJ has a higher poverty rate than Newburgh which is in the same county. Both communities have a large cash economy and live off of government programs. The city of Newburgh has significantly more street crime than other parts of the county (except for other inner cities). KJ has significantly less.

When you walk through Newburgh you will see drug dealers doing business, street hookers, gangs. There are crack vials on the ground. The language is offensive. It is not uncommon for violence to break out. As I stated up thread, the moms sit on the porch steps with their belts threatening the kids. There is an atmosphere of intimidation with metal detectors and security guards in the schools. The street crime can't be explained solely by poverty. Family and community structure must be also be considered.

I have spent significant time in the inner city. Personally, I was not afraid. My experience was similar to Sequoia's only I would rather walk through KJ than Newburgh if I were stranded.

Right, but it is inappropriate to compare KJ to similar "socioeconomic cities." KJ happens to be one with a lot of government aid, a strong community base, etc. etc. Many of the things that are usually missing in poverty stricken areas exist in KJ.

shoshanim999 wrote:
Is there any predominantly black neighborhood that is not "high crime"?

Yes.
Woodmere & Kettering, MD with a median income above $100,000 annually
Hillcrest, NY with a median income for above $70,000.00 annually
"Black Beverly Hills" which is Baldwin Hills, CA & View Park in CA.
Miramar, FL
And there are more.
Most of the individuals form those more affluent "Black Neighborhoods" will go on to pursue a college education, including advanced degrees.

chani8  

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 12:49 am
groovy1224 wrote:
Yeah, good for her Rolling Eyes Wonder where he learned the violence from?

You don't know how much this means to me to open up this thread and read someone saying exactly what I've been saying on FB, cringing as that woman gets 'mother of the year' fame.

debsey  

Post Fri, May 01 2015, 12:51 am
chani8 wrote:
You don't know how much this means to me to open up this thread and read someone saying exactly what I've been saying on FB, cringing as that woman gets 'mother of the year' fame.
You don't think she was acting out of fear? I watched it and felt such compassion for her. Here's her kid doing something SO dangerous......I'm sure she panicked.
Page 11 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 10  11 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics