Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mom beats son for participating in Baltimore riots
  Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 12  13  14  Next

Raisin  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:07 pm
ora_43 wrote:
First off, like previous posters said, you're thinking of specific impoverished communities.

Secondly - if there hadn't been systematic racism in the justice system over the past century, the communities you're thinking of would probably be in much better shape. Poverty and lack of opportunities is a huge problem. And poverty is made way worse when there are a large number of people going to jail - men (and women) lose years of income, women (and men) are made single parents, which means kids get less time and resources, on top of the emotional trauma of separation from a parent. And of course prison time makes it way harder to get a good job in the future.

Statistically speaking almost 1 in 3 black men in America will spend time in jail at some point. I don't know how exactly that breaks down but I'd guess it means a rate of 50% or higher in some of the most troubled communities.

So basically, this issue is actually really relevant to society as a whole. Police violence specifically seems like just a small piece of the puzzle, but the tendency to view black men as violent criminals, and to punish them more often and more harshly, is probably a very big part of the puzzle.

Some people think a lot of the problems in the black community stem from slavery, when families were deliberately torn apart and black women were raped by slave owners, thus beginning the cycle of single mother families. (a girl from a single mother family is far more likely to become a single mother herself. Boys lack a father figure and do not know how to be good fathers and stick around when their girlfriend gets pregnant)

Its interesting that Obama is not descended from slaves at all.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 5:43 pm
I have heard this malarkey my whole life
I very surprised to see it spouted on a "frum" forum

Can I respectfully ask how thousands of Jews like my grandfather ran away from the czars army stowed away on a ship , lived on scraps from the garbage and came to America at 12
He went on to be one if the most producrive members of soceity without knowing English
How many Jews went from aushwitz and the dp camps
Not only did they stay sane , I don't know how, they became the wealthiest entrepreneurs and most successful builders of our economy

The AA community doesn't need sob stories
They need to start taking some responsibility for their actions

bluebird

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:00 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Most teens don't have adequate levels of emotional intelligence to think as you do. All they could see were cops in full riot gear stopping and emptying busses.

I agree. Experiencing that would be terrifying to me, a middle-class white woman. How much more terrifying would it be if I were a black kid in a city with tense racial relations where I and other black people were stopped and harassed because the cops are always suspicious of all of us? If you know that you can try to be the model of a perfectly compliant person being interrogated by police and STILL stand a good chance of being beaten because you might inadvertently say or do something "wrong", how afraid would you be? If you've grown up with parents or grandparents who remember separate bathrooms and peaceful protests being met with firehoses, police beatings, and being burned alive, how afraid would you be?

The typical fear response is fight or flight. You can't run in that situation, and as a kid your brain and mind are not yet fully formed enough to make "rational" decisions. You're in a situation in which you have every reason to believe that your very life is at stake. The only choices left are freeze or fight.

Cops are better off learning to de-escalate situations than preparing for war with the citizens they've sworn to protect.

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:26 pm
*39% of the blacks who were killed by police men were not actively resisting.
*A person is killed by the police every 8 hours. *In January 2015 100 suspects were killed by policeman. Zero officers killed by suspects.
* A black teen is 21 times more likely to die by a cop than a white teen.

sequoia  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:30 pm
Russian media are now saying there are tanks in Baltimore, a variation of the Soviet meme "You lynch Negroes!"

We are not lookin good right now...

Maya  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 6:44 pm
Squishy wrote:
*39% of the blacks who were killed by police men were not actively resisting.
*A person is killed by the police every 8 hours. *In January 2015 100 suspects were killed by policeman. Zero officers killed by suspects.
* A black teen is 21 times more likely to die by a cop than a white teen.

Are these statistics for all of the US, or a particular state or city?

mille  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:14 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions as to why the black community is in such disarray? Why there are so many babies born to teenage girls, why the high school graduation rate is so low, why poverty is rampant, why crime is out of control? I don't think anybody would argue that had there been zero incidents of bad cops killing unarmed black men the past 5 years that the community as a whole wouldn't be in the despair that its in. Certainly the cops have nothing to do with teenage pregnancy or teenagers dropping out of school and becoming drug dealers. With that being said, what is it that's keeping them down more so than other communities????

What is the "black community"? Who is the leader of everyone with a particular shade of skin, or a particular socioeconomic background plus shade of skin? Do you think it would be silly to talk about "the white community"? Including everyone from you, to Bill Gates, to the Westboro Baptist Church, to Steven Hawking, to some super Chasidishe rov somewhere, to Jillian the Reform Rabbi, to the pot-smoking stinky hippies in Denver, to the upper-middle class wall street business men...etc etc...

Hell, isn't it ridiculous to talk about "the Jewish community" in the US? Who is the leader of the Jewish community? I can guarantee you without a shred of doubt in my mind that if we tried to elect a singular unequivocal leader of the Jewish people of the US, we would NOT be successful.

Black people are not one "community" with a leader, black people don't hold communal responsibility for what other people who share their skin tone do. I've seen dozens and dozens of pictures of black people who were shielding the police from the rioters, that were clearly NOT part of the rioting. Plenty of people spoke out against it. It's not a unilateral action taken by every single person with this skin tone who lives in Baltimore.

If you haven't quite read between the lines in those three paragraphs, your post was exceedingly ignorant and incredibly offensive.

PinkFridge  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:48 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Snipped for brevity. A coalition of African American Churches did exactly this, so did Nelly, TI, Kevin Hart, Al Jefferson, Keke Plamer and a few more whose names I've forgotten.

Thumbs Up and Hooray Thank G-d. I hope some good comes from it.
Meanwhile back to the subject of the thread, I happened to have been near a TV during the ABC national news. I saw the whacking. Yeah, a bit much. And I almost feel bad for the kid, who's embarrassed. But on the whole, good going, Mom. Don't let your sons grow up to be people who are as far from their true potential as possible.

gp2.0  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:50 pm
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanha.....xBV32

In the above link you can see both black and white people protesting peacefully, helping each other, cleaning up the mess from looting, interacting peacefully with the national guard, and keeping each other in check.

octopus

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:51 pm
I have many middle class black families in my neighborhood. They don't approve of the rioting in the street. The talk on this thread about "civil unrest" brings about more change than... I'm not sure exactly...as if these rioters are the mouth piece of a whole society is simply untrue.

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 7:52 pm
Maya wrote:
Are these statistics for all of the US, or a particular state or city?

US. They are voluntarily reported by various police organizations and as such IMO the bias is that the the suspects who were killed by cops while not resisting is actually higher rather than the 2 in 5 they admit to.

Another statistic is that in 2012 blacks were 13% of the population but accounted for 31% of the police shooting victims, however, according to the geniuses here that is because they are bad people and were actively resisting reasonable police directions not because the police did anything wrong. Don't worry about the fact the police themselves report they killed folks that were not resisting and this was before body cams.

shoshanim999  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:45 pm
I lump "the black community" together because of the absurdness of their collective actions. There isn't any crisis, that rallies them together as a group (I realize that not every single black person is participating) except when a black person is killed by a cop. The community as a whole doesn't seem to care about any issues facing their community, except for this one. On top of that its very debatable if blacks genuinely care about police brutality. Its hard for me to imagine that the lunatic walking out of his neighborhood CVS with 3 bags of cookies in 1 hand and pringles in the other, is really angered about what happened to Freddie Gray. I'm just not buying it. We all know that if tomorrow a black drug dealer shoots and kills 10 black people there will be no protests at all. If they burn down their school and there's no school for a year, again, nobody would care.

MagentaYenta  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:49 pm
shoshanim999 did you know that there were six days of peaceful protests without the police ever answering the questions about Gray's death? 6 days folks were peaceful and asking for answers. On the seventh day their children left school only to be told to get off school busses by riot police.

Maya  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 9:53 pm
Wow, Squishy, those are incredible numbers.

shoshanim999  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:00 pm
But why is police brutality the only issue that their community is demanding answers about? Good for them that the were civilized for 6 days, but in the end they ended up looting and stealing from local business owners. But again, why is this the only issue they rally around. Can someone plz explain why this issue getsexponentially more attention than any other? I'm baffled.

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 10:51 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
But why is police brutality the only issue that their community is demanding answers about? Good for them that the were civilized for 6 days, but in the end they ended up looting and stealing from local business owners. But again, why is this the only issue they rally around. Can someone plz explain why this issue getsexponentially more attention than any other? I'm baffled.

Because another murder of a black man is acute. Their nerves are frayed because of the recent murders of black men by cops which were well publicized. The other community problems are more chronic going back generations.

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:00 pm
Maya wrote:
Wow, Squishy, those are incredible numbers.

Yes. They are scary.

Perhaps if I wasn't a victim I would also believe these things only happen to non law abiding people.

shoshanim999  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:01 pm
Wow Squishy, ur making some pretty weak excuses. So do you think that if police brutality continues the black community will get used to it as they are used to all their other problems and stop protesting? Thats a pathetic excuse, They r used to certain problems so they don't protest them anymore. You can't be serious!

MagentaYenta  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:06 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I have heard this malarkey my whole life
I very surprised to see it spouted on a "frum" forum...

Frum women are a very diverse community, no reason to be surprised.

mazal555  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 11:06 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:

It's not. I suggest you read a few issues of Essence or Crisis. I think you might find it instructive.

It's just the only issue whose demands are being reported in the white media. Because it sells stories.
Page 7 of 14   Previous  1  2  3 6  7  8 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics