Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mom beats son for participating in Baltimore riots
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5 12  13  14  Next

sequoia  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:00 pm
She said "someone" -- ie any poster, not just her.

Sorry FF but it looks like your tichel's toast Wink

sourstix  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:05 pm
[quote="gp2.0"]I agree with Sadie.

Police brutality is just wrong. End of story. It doesn't matter if a teen ran, or back-talked or whatever. How does a police officer get from point A - slapping on handcuffs, to point B - breaking someone's neck?

Freddie Gray died for no reason. He committed no crime. He shouldn't even have been arrested. He was chased because he ran, searched because he was black, arrested on a pretense, and killed for no reason.

Some of you are justifying police brutality the way people justify rape culture. "She was wearing a mini-skirt, she was asking to be raped. She was wearing a diamond necklace, she was asking to be robbed. He ran from a police officer, he was asking to have his spine broken."

The fact that the police officers who commit these crimes are given a slap on the wrist and allowed back on the streets is reprehensible.

I dunno...I mean I know I'm supposed to stay calm, and not resist arrest, but if I can expect to have my neck broken in the back of a police van, you bet I'm gonna run like h*ll if I see a police officer.[/quote]
you dont realize that some of the black neighborhoods are full of crime. they are dealing with pp that they have no idea if hes carrying a weapon. and he needs to act in a way thats protecting to him too. if a black man behaves in a way thats a aquestion of danger and that includes whatever it is thats not following instructions, then a police needs to use force. for the fact alone for running from police should be an offense. how will you have law and order if pp dont follow police instructions?

shoshanim999  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:12 pm
Of course its good riddance. Marina, I can assure you that if u were walking down the street a few weeks ago with Freddie Grey approaching you, you would fear for your physical well being. Am I supposed to mourn the loss of this type of "person"? He was a bad guy who had been arrested 4 times this year. Maybe you don't mind if people like that move into ur neighborhood, but I sure do. The fact that he's dead does not change the way he lived his life. He was a bad guy who undoubtedly would have continued to be a menace to society.

Sure a single case of police brutality against a single case of black crime, I would agree that police brutality is FAR worse. Since 2012, over 7000 black men have been killed. 85% of them at the hands (or guns/knives) of other blacks. If we go back over the last 10 years over 25,000 black men have been murdered. There have been genocides with lower death numbers. My point is that while an individual case of police brutality is far worse than a single crime committed by a private citizen, when considering the scope of how rampant black murders have become, its reasonable to argue that it outweighs the problem of police brutality.

MagentaYenta  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:19 pm
Blacks is an archaic coded word for some pejoratives that are quite offensive. How about using African American?

FranticFrummie  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:33 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Blacks is an archaic coded word for some pejoratives that are quite offensive. How about using African American?

But what if not all of them are African American? Ethiopians, Somalians, Eritreans, and others often deeply resent being lumped in with African Americans, which is why Black (capitalized) is often the preferred PC way of referring to people who have dark skinned ancestors from Africa, some recent and some not so recent. There's a huge cultural difference.

FranticFrummie  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
She said "someone" -- ie any poster, not just her.

Sorry FF but it looks like your tichel's toast Wink

Oh come on now. I was only addressing posts up until that point, and you know it. Anyone could come along AFTER I wrote that and post anything they want.

Nice try messing with my words again, though.

MagentaYenta  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:43 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
But what if not all of them are African American? Ethiopians, Somalians, Eritreans, and others often deeply resent being lumped in with African Americans, which is why Black (capitalized) is often the preferred PC way of referring to people who have dark skinned ancestors from Africa, some recent and some not so recent. There's a huge cultural difference.

Culturally, most of the African American's I know identify as such, and Somalians, Liberians, Ugandans identify based on their nations of origin. Like I said Blacks is a genteel coding.

marina  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:49 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
Of course its good riddance. Marina, I can assure you that if u were walking down the street a few weeks ago with Freddie Grey approaching you, you would fear for your physical well being. Am I supposed to mourn the loss of this type of "person"? He was a bad guy who had been arrested 4 times this year. Maybe you don't mind if people like that move into ur neighborhood, but I sure do. The fact that he's dead does not change the way he lived his life. He was a bad guy who undoubtedly would have continued to be a menace to society.

you are the jury judge and executioner, eh? Well, since there's an anonymous person online who knows that Freddie was a bad guy who deserved to die for running away from the cops (who eventually fyi, killed him), who am I to argue? Lol

gp2.0  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:51 pm
Using Black to refer to an African American is totally PC. I've seen it everywhere, credible newspapers, radio, even on a government test in school.

White people can be referred to as White instead of European-American.

African-American doesn't even make sense. It's not current. If they were born in America they are simply Americans, not African-Americans.

Scrabble123  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:52 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

It's been changed to Brown. The Brown little boy next store likes to play with cars.... That is what is currently PC.

Scrabble123  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:54 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:

Sure a single case of police brutality against a single case of black crime, I would agree that police brutality is FAR worse. Since 2012, over 7000 black men have been killed. 85% of them at the hands (or guns/knives) of other blacks. If we go back over the last 10 years over 25,000 black men have been murdered. There have been genocides with lower death numbers. My point is that while an individual case of police brutality is far worse than a single crime committed by a private citizen, when considering the scope of how rampant black murders have become, its reasonable to argue that it outweighs the problem of police brutality.

You may want to mourn the loss of the right to a trial and due process. Again, if crimes by a certain race outweigh the percentages of police brutality it still does not condone police brutality. That is failed logic.

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:55 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Culturally, most of the African American's I know identify as such, and Somalians, Liberians, Ugandans identify based on their nations of origin. Like I said Blacks is a genteel coding.

Not anymore! The PC term is Black Americans. We are generations away from slavery, and what you consider to be African Americans no longer identify as such simply because they have no connection to Africa. Their families have been in this country for generations. Do we as the generations post Holocaust call ourselves Polish Americans or Russian Americans or German Americans? Actually my husband identifies himself as African American and he is white...his mother was raised in South Africa! Whereas Black Americans have little connection to Africa. They are simply Black Americans.

FranticFrummie  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:56 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

I ask people what they prefer to be called. The vast majority of my African origin friends and acquaintances who are African American prefer Black, and more recent immigrants prefer their nation of origin or nation of origin-American. In any case, I always ask first, and never assume. If someone wants to be called African American, I will respect that.

I'm just not buying the "genteel coding" thing, because I know way too many Black people who have told me otherwise. Maybe where you live the culture is different, and I can respect that, too. You just can't go making blanket statements about what people want to be called. You have to be open to taking it on a case by case basis.

This reminds me a lot of the issue of how to address people who are gender variant. Good grief I'm old, I remember when "queer" used to be a horrible thing to say! Now it's often preferred in certain circles.

When in doubt, ASK!

marina  

Post Tue, Apr 28 2015, 11:57 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:

What does this even mean? How many white men have been murdered? probably about 10K a year, so over 100,000 over the last 10 years, and yes, there have been genocides with lower numbers. Perhaps no one should worry about whether capital punishment should be legal or whether government needs to protect our civil rights anymore- just worry about the high death rates for whites.

Your numbers are meaningless unless you actually compare them with something. This sounds like a soundbite from a talk show.

marina  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:00 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I ask people what they prefer to be called. The vast majority of my African origin friends and acquaintances who are African American prefer Black, and more recent immigrants prefer their nation of origin or nation of origin-American. In any case, I always ask first, and never assume. If someone wants to be called African American, I will respect that.

I'm just not buying the "genteel coding" thing, because I know way too many Black people who have told me otherwise. Maybe where you live the culture is different, and I can respect that, too. You just can't go making blanket statements about what people want to be called. You have to be open to taking it on a case by case basis.

This reminds me a lot of the issue of how to address people who are gender variant. Good grief I'm old, I remember when "queer" used to be a horrible thing to say! Now it's often preferred in certain circles.

When in doubt, ASK!

Unless I was asking about a nickname, I would never ask anyone what they prefer to be called.

gp2.0  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:00 am
LovetoLive wrote:
I just googled freddie gray to see what you all were talking about. Turns out he died because he had spine surgery after a car accident a week before his arrest and movement caused his spine to break open again.
Amazing how a story can turn around so quickly.

Allegedly. Based on some bloggers looking to score hits. Maybe true, maybe not. Here's what we do know:

1) Freddie did not commit a crime at the time of his arrest.
2) He requested medical assistance but did not receive it until 30 minutes later.
3) He was not seatbelted into the van - that's against the law.
4) He ended up on the floor of the moving vehicle at some point, due to not being seatbelted
5) The van made a stop to "deal with Mr. Gray" that is being looked into - note that this stop did not involve getting medical help
6) There have been other cases of "rough driving" where the police deliberately drive the van roughly to try to cause injury. Two people have successfully sued, I believe one of them was paralyzed.

These are facts that we do know.

FranticFrummie  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:02 am
This reminds me of a time when I was walking home from shul with a group of friends, and across the street there was a group of dark skinned people. Someone in my group said "There go the Blacks and Browns". Another person in my group gasped and said "Oh my gosh, you can't say that!"

It turned out that the Black family and the Brown family were converting, and yes, those were their names! It was quite the running joke for a while, and the families in question thought it was hysterical at how uncomfortable it made some of the white folks. LOL They had to constantly say "No really, it's OK!"

At least 1/2 of my shul is some shade of "darker than Ashkenazic". The diversity is awesome.

debsey  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 12:09 am
gp2.0 wrote:
Allegedly. Based on some bloggers looking to score hits. Maybe true, maybe not. Here's what we do know:

1) Freddie did not commit a crime at the time of his arrest.
2) He requested medical assistance but did not receive it until 30 minutes later.
3) He was not seatbelted into the van - that's against the law.
4) He ended up on the floor of the moving vehicle at some point, due to not being seatbelted
5) The van made a stop to "deal with Mr. Gray" that is being looked into - note that this stop did not involve getting medical help
6) There have been other cases of "rough driving" where the police deliberately drive the van roughly to try to cause injury. Two people have successfully sued, I believe one of them was paralyzed.

These are facts that we do know.

Yes. These are the facts. Then there's this thing called "the rule of law" where when those facts are in operation, there's this system called the courts and the justice department and those cops can and will be prosecuted.
Barring the profanity and the violence this mother used, perhaps she's trying to educate her son in the concept that the rule of law is important. That's what civilization is based on.
How many police officers do you know? I personally know several people in law enforcement, and it is the most thankless, crucial job. To disrespect the police and say they are all murderers and racists due to a couple of bad apples is like saying all Jews are money hungry evil sociopaths because of Bernie Madoff.

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 1:05 am

saw50st8  

Post Wed, Apr 29 2015, 8:01 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
A parent's failure to educate their kids properly can lead to a child's death. No, I'm not saying that anyone deserves to die because of a bad decision or a minor infraction, I'm saying that it's preventable.

If you're carrying drugs, it's better to take the rap on a minor charge, than to be shot dead. If your kid has ODD, you'd better get them some therapy and life skills courses, or keep them under a watchful eye.

I blame the parents for 95% of this, and the police for 5%. If kids don't grow up knowing how to behave in society, then there are natural consequences that are not pretty. No one deserves to die for sticking their arm in the lion cage, but it's going to get ripped off all the same. Do you teach your kids to behave safely at the zoo? It's not your job to be a lion tamer, it's your job to teach your kids proper behavior.

The police are lions. They are trained to deal with criminals. If your child acts like a criminal (even if they aren't), the police will treat them as such. Mouthing off, running, spitting, resisting, etc. are all criminal behaviors that will get the lions in an uproar (pardon the pun).

I spoke with a friend of mine at work. He's black and educated, but grew up in a really dangerous part of Brooklyn. He was considering moving south, but decided he couldn't. He knows too many people who were stopped for no reason, searched, detained etc. Whether people want to admit it or not, it's a lot more scary for a black person to be questioned than a white one. Teenagers don't always make great decisions. They act impulsively, they get scared for no reason, they act before they think. The responsible adults need to make better decisions. Parents are training their kids to be compliant with the cops....but it's really submissive that they are teaching. Be submissive or you may die.

You have said in the past that your daughter didn't always connect one event to the next (her bothering a kid to them doing something mean to her). You don't think this could happen to her? Or should we blame her being bullied on herself? If she just handled it better, she wouldn't have had terrible anxiety about school and maybe she could have stayed? After all, that was all preventable.

Oh, is that blaming the victim?
Page 4 of 14   Previous  1  2  3  4  5 12  13  14  Next Recent Topics