Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbos hot plate question
Previous  1  2

shalhevet

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 3:03 am
granolamom wrote:
I never knew about the timers.....
anyone know why its ok for lights but not for hot plates? dh likes to set the timer especially in the summer because the kitchen gets so hot.
I know ppl use timers for air conditioners, electric nursing pumps, and things like that.
is it only problematic for cooking?

I will probably ask my rabbi too, but the response here is faster Smile

I think the halacha of a timer is like that of a [gentile] shel Shabbat - you can't do everything with a timer. Lights definitely yes, heat/cooling yes. I'm not sure about anything else.

Electric nursing pumps you can definitely not just use them on a timer when you feel like it, because the pumping itself is a melacha. Everyone needs to ask their own rav with their individual circumstances if they can pump at all and how - sometimes it's allowed for pikuach nefesh (which is fairly wide because we are talking about babies) or the mother's health.

Mrs. Bissli - I don't think that heter is widely accepted. Is it only for previously cooked liquids? Like soup? I can't believe it would be for water which had never boiled - it is bishul by gramma.

granolamom

Post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 8:59 pm
shalhevet wrote:
granolamom wrote:
I never knew about the timers.....
anyone know why its ok for lights but not for hot plates? dh likes to set the timer especially in the summer because the kitchen gets so hot.
I know ppl use timers for air conditioners, electric nursing pumps, and things like that.
is it only problematic for cooking?

I will probably ask my rabbi too, but the response here is faster Smile

I think the halacha of a timer is like that of a [gentile] shel Shabbat - you can't do everything with a timer. Lights definitely yes, heat/cooling yes. I'm not sure about anything else.

Electric nursing pumps you can definitely not just use them on a timer when you feel like it, because the pumping itself is a melacha. Everyone needs to ask their own rav with their individual circumstances if they can pump at all and how - sometimes it's allowed for pikuach nefesh (which is fairly wide because we are talking about babies) or the mother's health.

Mrs. Bissli - I don't think that heter is widely accepted. Is it only for previously cooked liquids? Like soup? I can't believe it would be for water which had never boiled - it is bishul by gramma.

so maybe if we're using the timer so that the kitchen doesnt get hot after we no longer need the food its like a heating/cooling issue. interesting. will be asking my rabbi. thanks for raising the issue
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions