Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

What Flatbush school does your dd go to?
B.Y.A.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mesores  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Prospect Park  
 50%  [ 4 ]
Lev Bais Yaakov  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bnos Yisroel  
 25%  [ 2 ]
Y.O.B  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

happy2beme  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 10:11 am
Just wondering. My dd's starting school this year & I was just wondering if maybe any of her future classmates' mothers were here!

Sorry if I missed any out. These are the ones that came to mind. Please add any others.

faigie  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 1:04 pm
Shulamith

brooklyn  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:18 pm
ditto

timeout  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:19 pm
My daughter will be starting school next year, I'm still trying to figure out where to send her.

brooklyn  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:24 pm
What are you lookoing for in a school?

happy2beme

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:25 pm
oops!

sorry I left shulamis out. I tried editing it & I can't.

(I also had put in 'other' but forgot to 'add it' so it didnt take)

timeout  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:27 pm
A good school that actually cares about the kids I'm so fed up with my sons school that I don't know where to go Sad

brooklyn  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 2:33 pm
Shulamith will give her a good education, many of the teachers are wonderful and caring. What grade?

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 3:38 pm
I will be sending my DD's to shulamis. I have a while though:)

timeout  

Post Mon, Aug 28 2006, 6:15 pm
She will be starting with nursery next year is it very costly?

brooklyn  

Post Tue, Aug 29 2006, 10:54 am
Probably around 6 to seven thousand.

amother  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 12:23 pm
I met a girl this week who attends Shulamith. She is 9 and looks like 19. She wore a long skirt with slits up to both knees, an ankle bracelet, a too-open top that revealed her bra strap, long glittery chandelier earrings and lip gloss. Her mother doesn't cover her hair and will sometimes wear short sleeves and too-open necks. Has a TV.

I'm not getting into what a nice lady the mother is etc. That's besides the point I want to make. I am wondering whether those of you have children in Shulamith think it's fine for a 9 year old to look like the girl I met. In short, are these your standards too? I wonder how they teach tznius in Shulamith Confused .

faigie  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:20 pm
interesting.
a scathing accusation...........made by someone without the gumption to use their own name.
rais ipsa loquitor.
the action speaks for itself.
im a mom who sends her kids to shulamith,, and im an alumni myself. we are decent well educated tzniyusdika ladies.
what you are about is open to speculation.

red sea  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:31 pm
Shulamith has a mixed crowd and a great scholastic english & hebrew education. Those are facts. If you are not comfortable with that, don't send there.

amother  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:33 pm
I am anonymous because of location.

I did not accuse anyone. I asked a question about standards. I know that this woman and her lifestyle is not the exception for Shulamith. Are you disagreeing? Are you saying that all mothers of students at the school, aside from this one, cover their hair and wear sleeves that cover their elbows and cover their collarbones? Or that 98% do?

I'd be happy to hear that. I just don't think it's the case. Feel free to correct me if my impression is wrong.

And I still wonder how they teach tznius at Shulamith when at least SOME mothers do not follow the halachos of tznius. How do the girls handle hearing that their mothers are not following the halacha?

red sea  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 1:43 pm
Two of my friends that went there married rabbi's/learners and dress way more tznius than they were taught at home, another friend actually requested her mom to dress more tznius according to what she was learning in school. Some of the girls I know that went there stayed the same as the parents home, both more and less modern homes. But you are not wrong that it IS a mixed crowd. If you want all from the same type of home, its not for you.

amother  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:02 pm
Posting anonymously for 3000 reasons, I'll pm you if you must know who I am.
My dds go to the Shulamith in Long Island. I cannot think of one mother who does not cover her hair. Maybe if I thought harder I'd come up with one or two, but now I can't think of any. The girls and their mothers, as a group, are not identifiable by dress when compared to TAG or BBY girls. The staff, too, is held to the highest standards of tznius.
Let's say, for the sake of argument, that what you've said is true for the Brooklyn school. I don't know it to be, but I'll consider it for a minute.
Your question about how can they teach tznius if the mothers don't cover their hair is a silly one. Should there be a school whose target population is children of these women? In that schools they wouldn't teach about tznius at all!!!!! Or should schools who stress tznius accept these families so that the cycle doesn't continue? How will the young girls learn about tznius, if the frum schools don't take them?

Motek  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 2:47 pm
amother wrote:
How will the young girls learn about tznius, if the frum schools don't take them?

Big difference between a parent body who is not knowledgeable and a parent body who is frum (shomer Shabbos, T.H., kosher) but choose not to dress modestly.

So of course there are numerous schools in which the mothers don't dress b'tznius where tznius is taught, along with negel vasser, brachos etc. because these are schools which teach the children of not frum kids about mitzvos and the parents know that that's what these schools do.

That's very different than teaching tznius to children whose mothers are frum but choose not to dress modestly!

faigie  

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 3:03 pm
red sea is correct in her assesment

a nine year old looking like a nineteen year old is notsimply a function of misusing tzneyut. anyone can overdress a nine year old, even if she is wearing elbow sleeves etc. accusing an entire student body of this is promoting a shem ra where there should be none.
is shulamith yeshivish? no. is it filled with many MO zionists. Yes. do all the nine year olds look like, by your description prutzas? NO.
........have you ever even been inside that school?
my cousin is the principal of shulamith in the towns,,,,,, and she is one fine lady (bah)

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Aug 31 2006, 4:14 pm
happy2beme, it looks like you left out a few Bais Yaakov's from your poll, including the one on 14th Ave. Oops, I just noticed the title says which Flatbush school.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics