Baby Einstein is NOT a bright idea
Previous  1  2

Merrymom

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 10:06 am
Atali wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Atali wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Our one child out of nine who has an ADHD diagnosis was always the child least interested in the computer. Sorry to debunk the theory.

It's actually good for these kids to have something that can occupy them when they get restless, like a gameboy.

Same here.

My ADHD child never had the patience to sit and watch a video for more than five minutes. It is my non-ADHD child who would love to sit and watch (Jewish) videos for hours if I let him.

While this may be true of your child, children parked in front of tv at a young age on a whole, are more likely to be ADD.

According to whom?

People think that ADD just means kids who cannot pay attention and it is some made up name for active kids.

ADD is a real neurological disorder that people are born with.

Watching movies all day can cause ADHD symptoms in otherwise normal children. This happened to my nieces and when the school recommended that they keep the children away from movies they suddenly were focusing much better and doing better in school. I don't know if there are studies to prove this but I assume the group suing Disney probably has some research to back up their lawsuit.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 11:36 am
I don't believe it's true ADHD then. It's overstimulation and hyperness, without a neurological issue behind it.

LeahW  

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 1:18 pm
Marion wrote:
LeahW wrote:
I wonder what Albert Einstein would have to say about his name being lent out for this rubbish. I guess Hebrew U could care less, as long as they made a couple million $$ off of it. Gotta love secular Israeli institutions.

Wow, there's a non-sequitor, if ever I did read one. Baby Einstein is a Disney brand. And while it WOULD be interesting to get Albert's opinion, I'm not sure where Hebrew U comes into all this.

1. Please explain why you believe this to be a non-sequitor.
2. It is no coincidence that the name "Einstein" was chosen to sell products intended to make your kid SMART. I wonder if you think anyone can use the Einstein name for free (nope, not even the holy Disney brand).
3. Hebrew U has the rights to the Einstein name. In my humble opinion, they abused that when they sold permission for its use (for lots of money) to Disney for this purpose.

Marion

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 2:01 pm
How can a university have "rights" to a name? Perhaps the Einstein estate has rights...unless Mr. Albert gave those rights to HU, or his heirs did so, I still don't understand what you're getting at.

And of course the choice of name is not a coincidence...but do YOU really believe that watching a DVD or listening to a CD (yes, they have CDs & books too) will make your child smarter?

I think it's clear why that is a non-sequitor.

LeahW

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 2:14 pm
Marion wrote:
How can a university have "rights" to a name? Perhaps the Einstein estate has rights...unless Mr. Albert gave those rights to HU, or his heirs did so, I still don't understand what you're getting at.

Google anyone? I'm not offended by the implication that I'm an idiot with your non-sequitor comment, but seriously, why not do a quick internet search before pursuing this further? Einstein was a founder of Hebrew University and he left his intellectual rights to them in his will, including use of his name and image.

Quote:
And of course the choice of name is not a coincidence...but do YOU really believe that watching a DVD or listening to a CD (yes, they have CDs & books too) will make your child smarter?

Huh? I don't show my kids DVDs (no, not even the kosher ones anymore), and we only listen to Jewish music (which actually, yes, I do think makes my kids smarter, thanks for asking).

Quote:
I think it's clear why that is a non-sequitor.

Clear to you apparently.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 5:48 pm
I am sorry but how is this a surprise??

Have you seen those videos?? I mean, I felt SO ripped off the first time I bought one. Anyone can drag a toy across the camera with music in the background. Hey, I can even do it for free at home!

imasinger

Post Wed, Oct 28 2009, 9:12 pm
Mommy3.5 wrote:
First of all I have experienced ADD first hand, and there are definite links to Early TV watching. There are literally hundreds of studies done on it. Feel free to google it yourself.

just one article,

The Christakis study quoted here and elsewhere has pretty much been discredited. Check this article out:

http://pediatrics.aappublicati.....3/665

But we are arguing semantics here, because we agree that too TV watching, particularly for young children, whether Baby Einstein or anything else, isn't good for kids. I just don't see evidence that it causes ADD.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics