Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Shattered Glass serial in Mishpacha
  Previous  1  2  3   16  17  18  Next

FraydaSue  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 8:36 am
Kol hakavod to Mishpacha for bringing this subjects to our attention, and kol hakavod to Riva Pomerantz for being so talented at writing about them. We buy Mishpacha in both hebrew and english. I dafka want my kids to know "the other side" from a Torah perspective.

HaModia has begun to start with controversial subjects but Mishpacha is definitely the leader. It's a shame though that there are some subjects that make it to the English version, that are not allowed in the hebrew - Shattered Glass is one of them, I think.

queen  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 11:06 am
Are most of the articles in hebrew Mishpacha the same as english??????????

Riva is not elluding to Betzalel looking at inapropriate images on line. That would NEVER get through Mishpacha and be published.

Newsie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 11:49 am
Well, what else is she alluding to? Him watching tv and movies??? The Sister asked Huvy if she thinks he's doing "other stuff" I assume she was talking about inappropriate sites or tv and stuff

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 11:52 am
There's always gambling Smile

Mama Bear  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 12:58 pm
Okay this week they are definitely alluding to doing shady things online.

bashinda  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:28 pm
this is why I'm in a way glad I don't often get the mishpacha. I have no patience for following serials. I'll wait patiently until it gets repackaged as a novel, IY"H.

chaylizi  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:51 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

hey don't ruin it. I don't have mine yet. I have to wait until the supermarket gets it in tomorrow

slushiemom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 1:57 pm
hey don't ruin it, mine's been sitting in my house since wed morning, but I dont let myself open it till after candlelighting! Smile

yersp

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 2:25 pm
slushiemom wrote:
hey don't ruin it, mine's been sitting in my house since wed morning, but I dont let myself open it till after candlelighting! Smile

Thats exactly what I do! It's the first thing I read then too!

momoffive

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 6:51 pm
Just a guess - the story IS about the other stuff (or just as easily), but there's no way to write about it so they framed it this way.

Raisin  

Post Thu, Sep 24 2009, 6:53 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

that was already covered in depth in hearts of gold. If thats the right name. the one about the kollel guy who gambles away his wedding money.

FraydaSue  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:11 am
I get my copy a week late as I let my parents read it first, so I'm waiting for tonight LOL

As soon as I read that he's going 'off', I suspected internet was involved; glad my detective skills are being put to good use. Of course Riva is referring to all the sites that most of us go crazy if DH should even glance at. This is the real world, and it's Mishpacha. That's why they wont' print it in hebrew - great shame, cos the Israelis need these stories as much as we do.

BTW - most of the interviews etc are in hebrew and english (often weeks apart), but for example there was an article a while ago in hebrew about the sad state of affairs that Israeli Yeshivish Sephardim change their last name to get their kids into yeshivas. The English didn't print it. Also, when the English prints "riske" subjects, they are often ignored or edited before getting into the hebrew one - don't even know if the word "internet"is in the hebrew vocabulary shock

chavamom  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:29 am
chaylizi wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

hey don't ruin it. I don't have mine yet. I have to wait until the supermarket gets it in tomorrow

I missed last week's b/c it sold out before I got to the store to buy it. Anybody want to send me a copy?

FraydaSue  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:33 am
Chavamom, give me your email/fax# and I'll send you the story through

Mama Bear  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 12:47 am
well they only talk about kefirah blogs and sadly there are so many out there. hasidic rebel, a hasid and a heretic, and so many others...

chavamom  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 1:10 am
Mama Bear wrote:
well they only talk about kefirah blogs and sadly there are so many out there. hasidic rebel, a hasid and a heretic, and so many others...

Yes, there really are.

Hashem_Yaazor  

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 9:24 am
Raisin wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

that was already covered in depth in hearts of gold. If thats the right name. the one about the kollel guy who gambles away his wedding money.
I know, that's what the smile was about Smile

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 9:39 am
I'm following this serial and it's so painful. I just wonder where it will go. Is there hope in such a situation, or does it always lead to a dismal future?

I have a relative, a typical, good Bais Yaakov girl, who is in this situation. She was a bright, beautiful girl from a nice family but with very limited financial means. She was in seventh heaven when she got engaged to her husband, who comes from a well-known family and they are well-off too. Her family was not the type to do alot of digging. She did see some signs, but nothing outright and she liked him, etc....He's very charismatic, very bright, very strong personality, and was supposedly learning full time. They got married and went to E"Y where he was going to learn.

Well, he never learned when he was there. She got up to work every day while he was still asleep. He always had an excuse - he's a night person and gets up later. He had a computer and explained to her that every guy needs an outlet, and he's very good at computers, and he needs his privacy (the door had to be locked) so that he can let out his energy undisturbed. Do you get the picture?

There were problems in the relationship, but he explained to her that there's no point in going to a Rav or for counseling, since he doesn't believe in these things, as he's smarter than all of them and knows exactly what they would say. He basically blamed everything on her, whenever there were issues - she wasn't doing things his way enough, she wasn't respecting him enough, etc...He told her the only person who needed to change was she, and he basically has no problems.

She tried to be a perfect wife. She tried to do everything he wanted but she was never good enough. He began to have standards about what she needed to be like, act like, and look like, etc...told her that she wasn't beautiful enough for him, she wasn't smart like his family, and that her family is basically worthless because they don't have enough $$$ to adequately support the couple, etc...

She finally came back to the US. She is now separated, has three kids, and is very depressed. She has a very low self-image because of the years with her husband where he knocked into her that she is inadequate. They have never gone for help as a couple because he says she's the one who has to change. Every Rav they ever spoke to tried to tell him that he needs to come clean and change, so he basically says all Rabbanim are dumb, etc....

Yes I'm sure she's not the only one! I hope "Huvy the Heroine" doesn't end up like this. So sad....

queen  

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 9:57 pm
ok....... after reading this week's chapter I take back what I wrote last week before reading.
I believe Riva IS alluding to doing ........ online.

The scary thing is that Riva is writing this story out as she feels it is happening more than we wish to know and must be spoken about. THAT is scary.

chavamom  

Post Sat, Sep 26 2009, 10:58 pm
I read this week and it seemed that the sister was saying "if he's been looking at kefira on-line, how do you know he won't look at [filth]?" But they were coming from a perspective of the internet itself being assur and the implication was if you were using the internet you were already suspect. That really bugged me.
Page 2 of 18   Previous  1  2  3   16  17  18  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room