Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Frivolous... BUT... KIndle or Nook??????????????

Kindle or Nook????
Nook  
 66%  [ 2 ]
Kindle  
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:44 pm
I know, I know the economy is terrible--
Why would be stop supporting the publishing industry bla, bla bla
But seriously...
IF you could:
Would you buy an Amazon Kindle or the Barnes and Nobles Nook?????

AND WHY????

ValleyMom

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:48 pm
That's so funny--ONE vote??!
So Nook gets 100% of the vote??!
Good Grief...

Kumphort

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:50 pm
I know Fox raved about her kindle last year

let me know what you choose, I am debating going for one of these myself,

Maya

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 8:51 pm
You should really wait more than 4 minutes for answers. And many of us have never heard of, much less tried out, either of these models.

myfriends715

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 9:12 pm
what abt the sony reader?

Barbara

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:45 pm
They all have their benefits and problems. What would you be using it for?

I *really* want the Kindle, but then what would I do on Shabbat and Yom Tov?

Love My Babes

Post Mon, Nov 30 2009, 11:53 pm
I guess I must be ignorant, but I dont even know what ur post is asking?

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:12 am
Which one other than the kindle does will read any file. I have no itunes and on principle I will never buy a device that is not open to any file in the correct formats, especially if it chains you to one supplier. For me that is a red line.

To me the advantage of a reader would be the ability to put a choice on a stick or camera cards and carry something small as opposed to an bag full of books. Ability to enlarge text and backlighting to use on the bus would be also helpful.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 7:53 am
Barbara wrote:
They all have their benefits and problems. What would you be using it for?

I *really* want the Kindle, but then what would I do on Shabbat and Yom Tov?

me too, plus buying ebooks is still more expensive then buying second hand books.

Also, if you have a good cellphone, you might be able to load books on from the web (classics that no longer have copyrights, or you can buy cds with a bunch of books on) not as celar as the kindle, but still handy for bus and plane rides.

imaonwheels, I think but an not sure that the sony reader is more flexible in regards to formats and which books you can load on.

if I had loads os money I would get one.

STovah

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:03 am
I would get the Kindle - I don't really know that much about the Nook. I would love to get one too to use on the Subway, but I don't really buy books anymore. My dh has shown me the light - I request any book I'm interested in reading from the library.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 10:19 am
Apparently the Nook has a HUGE free library of classics that you can start with and they also allow you to share books with others. They both have long battery life and can enlarge the print but.... The Nook appears to have a touch screen. My biggest problem is as Barbara pointed out... obviously neither one can be used on Shabbos and Yom Tov.

I usually travel with 3 books and a magazine or two so this sort of deviced makes things a lot simpler.

BUT there is something wonderful about a new book--the fresh paper etc.

The only reason I would seriously consider the Nook because I received $200 in scrip as a gift from a class 2 years ago and I was "saving" it for something awesome and I think and Barnes and Nobles script would be perfect!

Basically I am leaning toward the Nook because it wouldn't cost me too much out of pocket.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:07 pm
I think I want this.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:10 pm
Assuming one lives in a place with public libraries, I think these new reading devices are a huge waste of money. And you can't even use them on Shabbos!

I don't see the point of buying books at all if there's a public library around.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:25 pm
I ride buses 2-3 rimes a week. I do not want to read what is in the public library. I get maamarim and things over the net. I can download sociology papers from the electronic sociological library and other things from docstor for free. To have to g0o to Y-m, join a library, pay a membership fee and shlepp the books is nuts. This I just put in the USB, load what I want and go. Plus I own the reading material and have it for reference.

Reading for me is learning, work and an occasional non fiction on a topic that interests me or a Jewish book.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:52 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Assuming one lives in a place with public libraries, I think these new reading devices are a huge waste of money. And you can't even use them on Shabbos!

I don't see the point of buying books at all if there's a public library around.

they are aimed at the type of people who routinely buy new books from bookshops. (and then give them away 2 years later becasue they take up toop much space)

the only time I have ever bought new books is when stuck in an airport, or Jewish books which are hard to buy second hand.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Dec 01 2009, 1:58 pm
I also think the last book I bought was years ago, at an airport. Other than that, my only book indulgence are cookbooks from garage sales.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics