Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken layered w/ Pastrami and Mashed Potatoes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:56 am
So I made it and it was delicious!

What I did was to cube chicken breast, dip them in diet dressing and then in breadcrumbs and bake them for half an hour on 390, then put on them a layer of ground turkey mixed with two eggs, the leftover dressing and breadcrumbs and spicy sauce mixed in and baked that for another 40 minutes, and then topped with homemade mashed potatoes mixed with a bit of onion soup and baked that for yet another 40 minutes and it came out TERRIFIC!

My dh once agains thanks Imamother and in particular Defy for a fabulous dinner in the middle of the week.
I made two big ones and this was the leftover and froze the other two, will let you know on Sunday how it came out...we call it..."jewish shepherds pie" of course and that's how it is labeled in the freezer!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:59 am
FS, where's the beef?

freidasima

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 6:14 am
No beef!
Trying to keep it healthy...

im here!

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:39 am
DefyGravity wrote:
As written earlier in the thread:

DefyGravity wrote:
I haven't made this in ages, but IIRC, this is the final recipe:

Make shnitzel - I usually dip in Italian dressing, then in breadcrumbs or just use shake n' bake. Bake till finished.

Then layer on pastrami, bake till pastrami starts to crisp.

Then drizzle on duck sauce, and then the layer of mashed potatoes. I use instant mashed potatoes and season them with garlic salt and pepper. I also add an egg.

How long does each layer need to bake?

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:42 am
I don't know exact times, I generally use the "open the oven and check" method.

Bake the chicken for however long it would usually take you to make oven baked shnitzel.

im here!

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:44 am
I never bake shnitzel, How would I know when its ready?

greenfire

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:54 am
I refuse to make this - but my kids want to eat it ... but wrapped up in dough ... whose a cookin ?! Wink

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:59 am
mamele wrote:
I never bake shnitzel, How would I know when its ready?

When the chicken is white all the way through. Poke it with a knife.

im here!

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:07 pm
ok, thanx

Bambamama

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 7:30 am
I think this dish has officially become a regular thing by us. It's so easy, I have fun experimenting with it every time, and it uses up my leftover Shabbos chicken in a refreshingly new way. Most important, everyone loves it. Thanks again.

queen

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 10:57 am
recipes go in fads and cycles.... Defy- I can't get over how this recipe is still going strong!!!!!
WOW

Queen

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Sep 25 2009, 11:44 am
I just tried a new variation on this with soup chicken (I used chicken breasts on the bone in the soup, and I kept them in a cheesecloth bag).

I sauteed an onion, added one piece of shredded chicken, then the chopped pastrami, some duck sauce. Layered it in a pyrex dish, then put mashed potatoes on top. Baking in the oven at 350 now!

chatouli

Post Thu, Feb 10 2011, 10:15 pm
I am bumping this because I'm making it right now and maybe some newbies don't know about it. ENJOY! YUMMMM!! Thanks DefyGravity! Cheers

ESB

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 12:38 pm
chatouli, I love your avatar. Thats the best pudding!

chatouli

Post Thu, Feb 17 2011, 1:29 pm
lol thanks! I am addicted, it's a serious problem Smile

Yiddis

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 10:29 am
Defy, this looks like a good recipe to try...

Just a question-

Once the pastrami is baked and you pour on the duck sauce and mashed potatoes, do you bake it some more? I'm not sure cuz you didn't specify...

happylaughter

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 11:16 am
I made this recipe and I didnt cube the chicken I left a whole slice chicken breast smeared duck sauce I put a slice of pastram and more duck sauce than I put a scoop of potato baked it for an hour before serving I added sauted onions it was yummmmmmmmmm

questioner

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 12:43 pm
How could you make this look fancy? Would it work in individual muffins?

It sounds delicious, but would have to be a Y"T food for us (pastrami is Expensive!) and somehow doesn't sound like it would look nice enough.

amme

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 1:36 pm
wow this thread is 5 years old! but im happy its been bumped up bc I really want to try this!

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Mar 25 2011, 4:12 pm
I was just thinking about this recipe today! I haven't made it in years and would love to make it soon.
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey