Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken layered w/ Pastrami and Mashed Potatoes
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

withhumor

Post Sun, Jan 28 2007, 2:58 pm
Defy Pie

myfriends715

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 8:32 pm
just bumping this up cuz I wanna make it for shabbos..

defy what is the final recipe?? there have been so many changes I cant keep up

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 8:26 am
I haven't made this in ages, but IIRC, this is the final recipe:

Make shnitzel - I usually dip in Italian dressing, then in breadcrumbs or just use shake n' bake. Bake till finished.

Then layer on pastrami, bake till pastrami starts to crisp.

Then drizzle on duck sauce, and then the layer of mashed potatoes. I use instant mashed potatoes and season them with garlic salt and pepper. I also add an egg.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 9:21 am
that sounds muuuuuch better than the version I tried that we didn't like !!!

Strudel

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:06 am
I'm thinking of making this for Friday night, but how to you serve it? The pastrami must overlap the chicken. Do you slice like a pie? Please tell me!

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:10 am
Just scoop it out with a large spoon.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 6:45 am
Defy could you tell me the recipe you use because going through the thread there were too many changes and now I am confused:)
It got so many reviews I want to make it.

freidasima

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 7:02 am
Defy how do you make it if you want it to be "healthy". Meaning we don't use pastrami or any smoked meats and I dont make schnitzl or anything fried or coated. And no preservatives. Would it be ok to layer the original chicken breasts cut up with a mixture of tomato paste and honey and maybe some wheat free tamari sauce and on top homemade mashed potatoes with garlic and steamed onions browned but what in the world would I put in between the chicken and the mashed potatoes to give it that salty spicy delicious flavor?

(I may not eat smoked meat anymore but I sure remember the taste of pastrami!)

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:11 am
Freidasima, you'll have to try doing it the way you want and see for yourself. I mean, after making so many changes, it's not really the same recipe anymore, and the flavors that make it what it is, isn't there anymore.

For the record - when I make the shnitzel, it's not fried. I just dip it in something (like dressing), and then in bread crumbs, or I'll just use shake n' bake.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:17 am
So what is the recipe?

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:19 am
As written earlier in the thread:

DefyGravity wrote:
I haven't made this in ages, but IIRC, this is the final recipe:

Make shnitzel - I usually dip in Italian dressing, then in breadcrumbs or just use shake n' bake. Bake till finished.

Then layer on pastrami, bake till pastrami starts to crisp.

Then drizzle on duck sauce, and then the layer of mashed potatoes. I use instant mashed potatoes and season them with garlic salt and pepper. I also add an egg.

willow

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 8:22 am
k thank you

Bambamama

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 6:55 am
I think this is a very interesting idea for leftover chicken breast. I kind of made my own version, but same basic idea, and it was very tasty... I also expected it not to look so great, but I made it in a round glass dish and cut the pieces like a pie... I think it looked pretty good (until it was served and mostly fell apart!). I also glazed the mashed potato with the egg. Thanks for the idea!

ESB

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 11:33 am
can this be frozen?

Annie

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:02 pm
Just wanted to add that I made this for shabbos this week as something different and we LOVED it. I made it based on some of the original posts, so I did not make any shnitzel, just cubed the chicken breast, put it in the bottom, laid the pastrami on top, then used only a little duck sauce (b/c DH bought the spicy duck sauce that we don't like much), then put on mashed potatoes (mixed with bouillon). It was super yummy and we even ate is as leftovers for dinner tonight. Also, I wouldn't freeze it b/c I haven't had good luck freezing anything with potatoes.

ESB

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:30 am
I made this yesterday. I made it with dark cutlets, spicy duck sauce mashed potatoe with salt and garlic.
Baked it for over an hour. Poured off some juice inmiddle but not all. Happeneds to be the juice is good for the potatoes. It was yum. Dh liked it too...

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:41 am
ah so it's like a Jewish Shepherds Pie, yummy..Can't wait to try it.

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:46 am
I've frozen shepherd's pie successfully many times, so I think this would also freeze fine.

What makes this dish Jewish?

supermama2

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:57 am
What I dunno.. the Pastrami I guess. I just imagined telling Dh ( who lOVES shepherds pie ) that I'm making a "Jewish" shepherds pie for him and his response..he'd laugh and clean his plate Very Happy

freidasima

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 9:30 am
Ok I have an idea how to make it "healthy".

I'll get chicken breast and cut into cubes, then bread with whole wheat flour and bake a bit to make crisp.
Then I'll put a topping of soy sauce, tomato sauce and a drop of honey on it and then I will put on a layer of ground turkey all spiced up, and bake for half an hour and finally top it with mashed potatoes mixed with sauteed onions and spices and then bake for another half hour or so, this would give me time to drain off the liquid after the first "bake".

I love the idea, but I'm going to try it during the week just in case...besides that way we can eat it fresh and not reheated (I won't cook meat on Friday, in case there is some emergency as there always is either with the kids or my mother or someone at least the meat and soup are always finished by Thursday nite).

Will let you know how it goes.
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey