Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Heart murmer

amother

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:08 am
Each time my baby has been sick the dr. heard a slight heart murmer.
He told me it's worth it to make an appointment with a child cardiologist.
What is this exactly? does anyone know?

YALT

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:17 am
a cardiologist is a heart doctor. He checks that everything is alright. He'll probably take an EKG and/or echo.
I don't remember which is which. One is that they attach these stickers around the baby mainly around the heart to see the pattern & the other is like a sono to look at the heart.

IYH everything will be fine. It is normal to have a murmur for the first few months. By some it closes at birth, and some later. DD had it for about 8-9 months which is considered long. The doctor actually told me that some ppl have it for life without it affecting them at all.

How old is your baby?

Good luck.

amother

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 6:22 am
baby is over a year.
the thing is the dr's only hear it when he is sick.
I davka brought him another time when he was healthy to the same dr. and he did not hear it then.
I guess I'll make the appointment at the hospital just to be 100% sure it's not anything to be confirmed with.

YALT

Post Sun, Oct 18 2009, 7:05 am
At a certain point, we thought she no longer had it, but then he heard it again at a checkup. Apparently, it had a pattenr, but far appart from each other. So at times he puts on his stethescope at the right time, and at other times had he waited a few more minutes he would've heard it too. Just making you aware.
But I guess you'll find out more about it by your visit.

There4you

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 8:23 pm
my son has the same thing. It only came up once when he was a baby, but the doctor caught it. He also heard it when he had a cold. we went to the most wonderful cardiologist who wore a stethescope with a tigger doll wrapped around it. he was relaxed and easy. they did a sonogram and B'h nothing is wrong, it's an innocent murmur. they call it a "musical murmur," which we loved, since my husband is a singer Smile My son is B'h wonderful, and musical he is!
The cardiologist said once he hits adulthood it won't even be heard.
I am sure each case is different, but don't worry, have bitachon that it is all fine and the way Hashem wants it to be.
Hatzlocha,
Have lots of Nachas from your son.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 02 2009, 8:40 pm
My son had to go to the cardiologist because we were putting him on medication for ADHD. The cardiologist heard a heart murmer. My pediatrician never heard it. He told us he had to take a sono of the heart right away to make sure there were no openings in the heart. B'H the sono came out fine and he told us not to worry. My husband called the peditrician right away because he was nervous. The pediatrician contacted the cardiologist and told us not to worry. I would definitely go to a cardiologist for his opinion.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 12:08 am
my baby had a heart murmur when he got flu at 10 weeks. dr explained that when a baby is sick, has a fever, blood flows faster hence the "noise" and it should be checked when the baby is well again

natmichal

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:17 am
In most cases - heart murmurs have to be followed up (like a yearly appointment) but don't affect kids (or adults) in their regular life. - No surgery involved.
The check up include a echo (sonogram), ECG (stickers for a minutes to get a graph...) and stethoscope. Nothing much... Most pediatrician cardiologists are trained to make this as nice as possible for the child (more than can be said from when I was a kid).
Seriously, in most cases, the only thing which "might" happen, if your in Israel and it's a boy, would be that the army might reject him if he wants to be a fighter!... And if it's a girl it will just mean more check ups when she wants to have her own babies.

amother

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 1:35 am
op here
my regular dr. says that I can't go by the dr. that heard the murmer as both times it was heard only when ds had fever.
I have to go back to him when he's healthy and he will listen again -- so I'm pushing off the appt to the cardiologist as I guess if dr. doesn't hear it when he's healthy then I don't need to go.

Seraph

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 6:44 am
natmichal wrote:

Seriously, in most cases, the only thing which "might" happen, if your in Israel and it's a boy, would be that the army might reject him if he wants to be a fighter!... And if it's a girl it will just mean more check ups when she wants to have her own babies.
And even that not. My husband has a murmur and got a 97 profile in the army (the highest you can get) and was in a combat unit. heart murmurs usually mean absolutely nothing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics