Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Oven on yom tov

mom71

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 8:47 pm
Do you use your oven on Yom Tov? Is it a problem because when you open and close the oven it causes the temperature to go higher and lower?

anonymom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:25 pm
First of all, ASK YOUR LOR

2nd of all, you can call the Star-K at 410-484-4110. The rabbis know all about ovens

3rd of all, lights or display panels that go on and off are more of a problem than the oven going on and off. If you just have a simple old-style oven from more than 12 years ago, you can open the door when the oven is already going. If you have a newer model without Shabbos mode, you may have a problem.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Sep 21 2009, 10:26 pm
I do and I know a ton of others who do. Maybe your oven is a dif kind?

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 10:29 am
It depends on your oven and your Rav.

I have never heard that it's a problem to open/close the oven door on YOM TOV because it's grama- as long as no lights or displays will be changed because of it.

Adjusting the actual temp of the oven seems to be more of a machlokoes. Rabbi Heinemann of the Star-K says it is not a problem to adjust the temp on Y"T.

Don't forget that the first day of Y"T is Shabbos. So if you have food in your oven Erev Shabbos, when you take it out on Shabbos you must take it out all at once. Or else whatever food you left in, and close the door on, will cause hatmana.

FraydaSue

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 10:41 am
Set your oven on a timeswitch; you can open it when the light is already on.

sky

Post Tue, Sep 22 2009, 11:46 am
mom71 wrote:
Do you use your oven on Yom Tov? Is it a problem because when you open and close the oven it causes the temperature to go higher and lower?
'

Ask your LOR. It depends on so many factors - gas vs electric, if you have an oven light that goes on and off when you open the door. if you have a digital display of the temperature. And also the minhag of the city for some cases.

My oven is gas. I cannot adjust the temp but I can open and close the door. I have a light the turns on when the oven is running so I can only open the oven when the light is on. My SIL doesn't have a light and she can open the door anytime. I normally leave my oven on a very low temp for yom tov so the house doesn't get too warm. The problem is that when it is warm in the house already the oven light turns on very rarely so we are sometimes waiting a while for the food.

According to my rav in Lakewood on shabbos you can open the door on shabbos and remove food and then close the door even if there is food still inside. According to my parent's rav in Baltimore, once you open the door on shabbos you have to remove everything. that is why it is important to ask your LOR because the answers can be completely different.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics