Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Preschooler going through a rough spot

shira

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 11:58 am
I need advice..........
My 3 year old (almost 4), though he was never compltely obedient, has always (for the last 3 years anyway Smile) been a good kid with a sweet nature.
Recently, he's started becoming VERY difficlut. He kvetches at everything and the littlest things throw him into a tantrum. He has a little brother who is going through a cute stage and I'm preg but I make a REAL effort to make sure that he gets as much (if not more) attention as his bro as well as making sure that we have a bit of time to ourselves here and there. I even let him take off from chaider to come to a bris with me. He's started bullying his little brother and refuses to share with him and I just can't figure out whats going on. I try very hard not to criticize him and when he goes into his tantrums, I try to ride them without getting angry (though at times that is VERY challenging). I just can't figure out what he is trying to tell me..........His teachers tell me that he does great in school- he's one of the oldest in his class so he's confidant and has lots of friends. I need to figure out where and how to probe this troubled little preschooler of mine..............
Any ideas?

happymom

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 3:15 pm
sounds like u are being a great mom... this behavior is normal for a three year old, and although u are trying and doing whats best the pregnancy and baby on the way can still make him jealous. mayby try talking to him and ask him how he feels about all this... if there are things that bother him... u never know, even at three they might be able to tell u!

Motek

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 3:28 pm
I agree that you sound like a great mother Shira, but I do not think this is normal behavior and I don't think it comes from nowhere. Yes, I also think you should ask your son.

shira

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:18 pm
Thank you for your encouragement. I appreciate it.
I'm wondering if his behavior is being affected by the fact that he had an ear infection recently. He's still on antibiotics for it. I hope thats the whole prob b/c when I tried talking to him today in an effort to understand whats goin on, he was NOT very helpful! He thought it was a game and told me outrageous reasons why he was unhappy. I can never tell whether or not this kid is telling the truth.
He told us recently with absolute seriousness that on the way home from chaider he sits on the steps of the bus until some kids get off and then there's room for him on a seat. I was INSENSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ready to raise the roof!!!!!!!! Ready to get on that bus myself and make sure EVERY kid was seated!!!!! A child? on the floor? a 3 yr old no less???????
Before taking real action, I asked my friend to ask her son if anyone sits on the floor and her son said, "No, there's a seat for everyone."
So, this very creative little bocher of mine has me royally confused...............

Tefila

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:18 pm
Shira I know this may sound strange, but is he out of sorts like feeling under the weather or needs to eat more.
SInce my daughter was exactly the same for approx a month, and then she was back to herself Confused I couldn't figure it out but now she's back to herself this is the only thing I can think of Confused since I haven't changed in my disciplining her Confused

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 7:48 pm
shira wrote:
His teachers tell me that he does great in school

maybe a long shot -

you started that other thread, about how your son's morah told you "in our circles we don't tell the children when mommy is pregnant"

is it possible that the morah is somewhat peeved with you and is possibly, even subconsciously taking it out a bit on your son? Confused

and what about a new baby on the way, which your son knows about - could this be on his mind?

ektsm

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 8:10 pm
IT's probably just a phase. THe importnatn thing is he behaves nicely in school. He just wants to test his limits at home but knows when to draw the line wiht his MOrahs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers