Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
So sick how can I fast?

challi

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:37 am
I have a terrible sore throat, can't even swallow and having trouble breathing, mywhole body hurts and I'm running a fever of 103 with tylenol, not to mention chills and my spinning head. I feel awful. I can't eat or drinkwithout terrible pain. Once the tylenol wears off, my fever spikes to 104 and I get "weird" as my dh put it. I'm going to the dr. later today, but dh thinks I still have to fast. I'm so so woried. I'm already dehyrated and can't eat or drink well. If I don't keep tylenol in my system I start burning up. I feel so bad that I just have tears running down my cheeks.

Has anyone ever been in such a situation before? is it really a shayla or should I just fast?

mom23

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:45 am
Haven't been in the situation before B"H, but it can't hurt to ask. As of right now you plan on fasting, and if you ask a shayla you may be told to fast a certain way, or not at all, or you will have to fast. Let the rav decide for you since you are unsure.

mom23

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 9:46 am
Oh and I almost forgot - Refuah Shelaima!

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:04 am
For sure ask a shaila.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:05 am
Of course ask a shayla but in such a situation with such a fever I would be surprised if any Rov told you that you had to fast on TB.

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:35 am
yes, ask a rav. I have heard that if you can take a pill without water, its not a problem on a fast day, so maybe you can keep up the tylenol at least.

micki

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 10:38 am
oy- feel better. you need to drink alot with a fever- so first go to doctor. ask if you can make it with no drinking in this situation.
then give that information to a rav.
then remember that judaism is not meant as a torture system for us- you are not meant to ahrm yourslef further in order to fast. thats why you must give your rav doctors reccomendations so he can make a decision for you!
feel better!

bnm

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:27 am
Refua Shalayma.

frumluv

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:39 am
Refuah Sheleimah Challi

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 7:42 pm
I have all the exact same symptoms as you Sad I haven't eaten a things in 2 days, my throat kills and I have fever. We asked a shaila and I'm not fasting. If I miraculously start to feel better then I will fast. Remember it's not yom kippur.

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 7:45 pm
104 is really high for adult...

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 7:49 pm
If you get dehydrated its kinda dangerous

workingmom3

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 10:19 am
you can take tylenol suppositories ( sounds gross but they really help). they make them now with caffeine so it really gives you a boost as well.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 10:47 am
If your fever is spiking to 104 without Tylenol, my uneducated opinion is that you really need the Tylenol. Please see your doctor ASAP. And please call your rav ASAP. Tell him that you'll have more information once you see the doctor, but that your fever spikes dangerously and that you get *weird* without it.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 11:21 am
This sounds like strep throat. I hope OP got some help. Refuah shleyma.

drumjj

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 11:54 am
with a fever like that and a sore throat its swine flu

jem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 12:12 pm
please dont fast!
it worries me.

challi

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 3:28 pm
thank you all for all the care and concern...
Tamiri hit the nail on the head

I went to the dr. before the fast start and I have strep. A really bad case. I was told I need to drink especially with the high fever, we called a rav and were told I am not allowed to fast. So thats that. B"H I'm starting to feel a bit better. I had to take meds to take the swelling down so I could even swallow the antibiotics and I think the antibiotics are finally starting to kick in. I'm weak and still have a minor fever, but at least its not 104 anymore.

And yes 104 is a very high fever for an adult I am well aware of it. But B"H the worst has passed.

jem

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 3:33 pm
B'H, I am glad your better.thank you for letting us know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days