Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Not having guests on shabbos during 9 days?
1  2  Next

waterbottle

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:44 pm
Has anyone ever heard of not having meals with friends during the 9 days and extending that to the Shabbat in the middle of the 9 days? My friend says they are not allowed to have company on that Shabbat. I thought one wasn't allowed to mourn during Shabbat.

mommalah

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:48 pm
I hope not since DH invited people for both meals. And we are forbidden to mourn on shabbos so I don't think it's a problem.

waterbottle

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 10:27 pm
yea that was my gut reaction too.

HealthCoach

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 10:34 pm
It really depends on the situation. We are in the Catskills and I would not invite guests for shabbos during the 9 days. First of all it would cause people to travel, and second of all, our guests would be coming to enjoy themselves before and after shabbos as well.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 10:47 pm
When people are in aveilus, they limit their guests but don't have to not have guests at all. IOW, if you never have guests but decided to invite people, this isn't the week. If you always have guests, go ahead. (And if someone needs a meal, it's always a mitzvah.)

shalhevet

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 2:31 am
If TB is on Sunday, you are not supposed to. I don't know about this year - ask your LOR. But if it is hachnasas orchim (the guests need your meal financially, practically, emotionally or spiritually) you can. Just having friends for social reasons might be a problem.

Marion

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 2:40 am
We always have guests, so it didn't even cross my mind it would be a problem. In any case, we happen to be having family this week.

PeachTree

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:11 am
I think it depends on the situation and that people should use their better judgement. Meaning, if you're going to have guest for the sake of "why don't you come for shabbos? Let's have some fun" I would probably refrain and invite them for a differant Shabbos. But sometime having guest is specifically done as an act of chesed toward certain individualls and I think that she be encouraged.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:12 am
I had this question when I was single. I used to feel uncomfortable going out on this Shabbos. I tried to sleep in my apt., and go out to eat at families I was very close with or I felt needed it.

hila

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:19 am
The only "inyan" I ever learned about Shabbat Chazon was .. if it falls on Erev Tisha Beav (or on 9th Av so Tish Beav is nidche) tehn we do not bench mezuman at seuda shlishit.

There are no mourning symbols as far as I know on SHabbat Chazon.

sped

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 3:20 am
My father a"h used to wear a weekday suit and hat. that was his minhag.

ceo

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:40 pm
shalhevet wrote:
If TB is on Sunday, you are not supposed to. I don't know about this year - ask your LOR. But if it is hachnasas orchim (the guests need your meal financially, practically, emotionally or spiritually) you can. Just having friends for social reasons might be a problem.

Last year, when 9 Av fell out on Sunday, we had invited guests for the daytime seuda. Our posek said it wasn't a problem for either Frid. night or shabbos day, but not for sholosheudos.

BZBEE

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:23 pm
Never heard of it, or even thought about it...

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 6:03 am
I had my shabbos kallah on the 9th of Av, so I hope this is not true.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 7:58 am
sped wrote:

I've heard of this.

sarahd

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 8:27 am
sped wrote:
My father a"h used to wear a weekday suit and hat.

And no tie. Wink

grin

Post Sat, Jul 25 2009, 5:41 pm
you have cited the litvish minhagim. OTOH, the Lubavitcher Rebbe absolutely forbade any signs of avielus even when 9 Av fell on Shabbos - to the extent that he said that wearing slippers that Shabbos could be problematic - and also encouraged eating fleish and drinking wine at shalosh seudas that day (but only until shekiya).

sarahd

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 10:31 am
sped wrote:

As I found out this Shabbos while looking something up in the Mishna Berura, this is actually halacha - and not minhag! - according to the Rema, who says one may not wear Shabbos clothes on Shabbos Chazon, except for changing one's shirt!

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Jul 26 2009, 11:31 am
I found another good reason not to have guests for Shabbos (we had 11 at our table)

Bigger chance for leftovers which you can't eat!!!

miriamnechama

Post Mon, Jul 27 2009, 12:49 pm
last year my brother's ex kalla came shabbos chazon which was erev tisha baav because it was her only shabbos left.

this last shabbo I went to ils...

I also don't hold of it so much, but with a broken arm, mil didn't want me to make shabbos, anyways dh was with fil in the hospital the whole shabbos... he slept over at ein kerem, so we decided it was better this way
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days