Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do you leave baby in car when paying for gas?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Would you leave baby in the car while you pay for gas?
Yes  
 29%  [ 22 ]
No  
 70%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 75

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:42 am
I haven't had that problem in my city, ever. But when I don't have money on my card, I either take someone with me in the car or I send my husband to do the gas pumping.

Atali

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:45 am
chaylizi wrote:
I haven't had that problem in my city, ever. But when I don't have money on my card, I either take someone with me in the car or I send my husband to do the gas pumping.

If you had to do that every time you paid for gas you may feel differently.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 12:47 am
I might possibly. I clearly can't say, because you can pay at the pump at any gas station around here. However, I live less than 2 miles from a pretty large & not too safe city. The inconvenience is worth it for me. I'm not passing judgement on anyone else though.

toastedbagel

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:02 am
chaylizi wrote:

I have that problem in my city always - I have never seen pay at the pump here EVER. And if I waited for my husband to be available to go fill up my car, I might be waiting a while - he has a life and work to do, in the evenings as well - he gives Shiurim almost every night. I think we also have to consider the crime rates in our different cities and the situations at the petrol station when we are filling up - personally I fill up the same time every week, on the way back from swimming lessons (it's the cheapest day of the week, the price fluctuates by day here), it is usually 12:45 on a bright sunny day, with 8 cars at the pumps and at least another 8 waiting, sometimes you can't even get out of the parking lot until the person in front of you moves, even once you have paid and are back in your car. It's a safe neighborhood with lots of people around. To me, the likelihood of something happening as I literally stand there and watch from 20 feet away is pretty much zero, it is more likely to happen in my own driveway (my own neighborhood is a little less nice than the one where I fill up.) Besides, if someone was dumb enough to try to take a car in the scenario I described, I seriously doubt they would go for my acceleration challenged mini-van monster, they would be much more likely to jump into a more common, smaller and easier to blend in car.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:56 am
toastedbagel wrote:
amother wrote:
I don't like to tell this story because it traumatised me terribly but in order to drive the point home I will.
For all those of you saying you leave the baby in the car because you can see through the window of the kiosk and keep an eye out ..

I live in Australia and I used to leave my kids in the car and then someone told me that she heard in the news once about a mother who went into 7-11 or the likes for a minute and saw someone trying to steal her car, She quickly ran out to take her kid out of the car and his foot got stuck in the belt as she was pulling him out. The guy drove off with the kid hanging head first out and the ending wasn't pretty.

I hear you, and if true it sounds pretty tragic, but if that is going to happen, it's going to happen even if the mother is standing next to the car.
toastedbagel and also Atali, that's like saying that people get hit crossing the road regardless of if they are being careful or not so don't bother watching when you cross the road.

thatslife

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 11:26 pm
I havent read everyone answers but if I am paying with cash than I drive up to the window and I say to the guy I have kids in the car, and im pulling inot pump number .. and usually they wait for you to pull in b4 crediting the machine. if there isnt a window outside I wont use that gas station with kids in the car.

Raisin

Post Wed, Aug 26 2009, 5:35 am
amother wrote:
toastedbagel wrote:
amother wrote:
I don't like to tell this story because it traumatised me terribly but in order to drive the point home I will.
For all those of you saying you leave the baby in the car because you can see through the window of the kiosk and keep an eye out ..

I live in Australia and I used to leave my kids in the car and then someone told me that she heard in the news once about a mother who went into 7-11 or the likes for a minute and saw someone trying to steal her car, She quickly ran out to take her kid out of the car and his foot got stuck in the belt as she was pulling him out. The guy drove off with the kid hanging head first out and the ending wasn't pretty.

I hear you, and if true it sounds pretty tragic, but if that is going to happen, it's going to happen even if the mother is standing next to the car.
toastedbagel and also Atali, that's like saying that people get hit crossing the road regardless of if they are being careful or not so don't bother watching when you cross the road.

the likelyhood of something freaky like that happening is so unlikely, especially if you live in a fairly safe city or area. I am probably far more likely to be hit by a drunk criver then something like that happening, in which case I shouldn't drive at all.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics