Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Do you leave baby in car when paying for gas?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Would you leave baby in the car while you pay for gas?
Yes  
 29%  [ 22 ]
No  
 70%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 75

amother

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 9:38 am
When you're at the gas station and you've finished pumping at the "self serve", would you run into the little kiosk to pay for the gas and leave the baby in the carseat in the car?

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 9:41 am
NO! I never ever would leave a baby in a public place alone in the car.
I use a credit card/debit card at the pump.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 9:43 am
I live in NJ - they pump the gas for you and take the $$ from you.
I don't know what I would do otherwise.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:01 am
Not posting as amother because I'm not ashamed...

If you lock the doors to your car and walk a few feet away to pay, do you really think it's a problem? I usually just swipe a credit card at the pump, but if I had to, I wouldn't think it was so bad - assuming the car doors were locked.

How do you bring your groceries in from the car when your baby's awake (assuming s/he's old enough not to be in an infant seat and stay there)? I have no problem locking my car doors between loads. I'm only out of eyeshot for about 30 seconds at a time. What should I be scared of? Someone running out of the bushes, breaking the windows of my car, climbing thorugh the window, unbuckling my baby, climbing back out the window, and running off, all without me hearing or seeing, and all in the space of less than a minute?

Call me irresponsible.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:03 am
Sky, I now live in NJ, but used to live in other states.

Seriously, its not a big deal, you just swipe your card at the pump and can keep an eye on the car w/ baby the whole time.

I guess its an issue for someone that doesnt have either a debit or credit card, but if you have a bank account, don't you automatically get a debit card?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:03 am
I rarely buy gas but if I do I usually have my older kids as well in the car so I do leave them.

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:07 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

If you lock the doors to your car and walk a few feet away to pay, do you really think it's a problem? I usually just swipe a credit card at the pump, but if I had to, I wouldn't think it was so bad - assuming the car doors were locked.

How do you bring your groceries in from the car when your baby's awake (assuming s/he's old enough not to be in an infant seat and stay there)? I have no problem locking my car doors between loads. I'm only out of eyeshot for about 30 seconds at a time. What should I be scared of? Someone running out of the bushes, breaking the windows of my car, climbing thorugh the window, unbuckling my baby, climbing back out the window, and running off, all without me hearing or seeing, and all in the space of less than a minute?

Call me irresponsible.

Always, when I bring my groceries to the car I put the baby in first and then put my groceries on the floor next to her, or in back, but I never leave the car alone. Then again, I only use one cart, are you talking about if you have more than one cart?

Maybe I am paranoid. I don't know, I have heard too many crazy stories of people who like have their car in the driveway, run inside the house to get something, and come out and the baby is not there.

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:20 am
DiznyIma wrote:
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

Call me irresponsible.

Always, when I bring my groceries to the car I put the baby in first and then put my groceries on the floor next to her, or in back, but I never leave the car alone. Then again, I only use one cart, are you talking about if you have more than one cart?

Maybe I am paranoid. I don't know, I have heard too many crazy stories of people who like have their car in the driveway, run inside the house to get something, and come out and the baby is not there.

Back when we had a car, I would bring the baby in first, leave her in the carseat and go back. Since we were in an apartment, I would often lezave non-perishables in the car and have dh bring them up when he got home.
However, when I had to go to the laundromat, I would leave the baby locked in the car, drag my 3 bags into the building, dump them right by the door and then come back for her. Since the laundromat had 2 exits, I felt it was much safer leaving her locked in the car for 1 minute. Only then, would I start the laundry process.

bbmom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:39 am
Leaving the baby in a car with the motor off is a big no no - engraved in my bones since I was a little little kid. Leaving the motor on in a public place is asking for your car and your baby to ch'v disappear.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 10:49 am
my first reaction to this question was "are you out of your cotton pickin mind"?????

I mean, I live in ny so maybe I'm more paranoid than most of you, but seriously...absolutely positively NO!!

NativeMom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 11:05 am
When my DS was younger I'd have his stroller in the car and when I took out the groceries I'd hook them on the the stroller, with DS in it and bring them up to my apartment. When I got gas I'd make sure to pay at he pump, if not I'd bring him with. He's almost 3 now and I still don't leave him in the car alone, unless I'm outside right next to the car.

BinahYeteirah

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 11:06 am
No, I don't leave my baby.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:35 pm
No, not if I had to go inside to pay. Pay at the pump, no problem, never with keys in, but I'm no farther than if I was putting stuff in my trunk.
Bringing groceries in -- I'd much rather bring my baby inside, and run back to the car to get stuff than leave my baby in the car alone.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:35 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

Call me irresponsible.

Many states are passing laws making it illegal to leave a child alone in a car even for a minute (and even in your own driveway!!) You need to be within 30 feet and in view of the baby at all times. If I have kids in the car when I need gas, I look for a pump that takes cc so I don't have to pay inside. Groceries come in from the car after the baby, who is safer on the floor for a few minutes than alone in the car. I used to be of the same mindset as alwaysgrateful but then left my purse, with keys in it, in my apt with an automatic locking door and 2 babies locked in my car- even though I was only gone for 20 seconds, my kids were stuck in a hot car for 30 minutes till my husband made it home with his house key......... very upsetting and changed my mind. (posting as amother because I am embarrassed...)

amother

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:52 pm
There have been numerous cases of people stealing cars at gas stations, stores, etc. and not realizing there were kids inside. If someone just wants the child they won't usually go into a car to get one, but often times they steal cars that happen to have babies inside. It is illegal in many (if not most) states to leave children in a car unattended, especially with the motor off. Too many kids have died this way from overheating or being forgotten.

Inspired

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
AlwaysGrateful wrote:

Call me irresponsible.

Many states are passing laws making it illegal to leave a child alone in a car even for a minute (and even in your own driveway!!) You need to be within 30 feet and in view of the baby at all times. If I have kids in the car when I need gas, I look for a pump that takes cc so I don't have to pay inside. Groceries come in from the car after the baby, who is safer on the floor for a few minutes than alone in the car. I used to be of the same mindset as alwaysgrateful but then left my purse, with keys in it, in my apt with an automatic locking door and 2 babies locked in my car- even though I was only gone for 20 seconds, my kids were stuck in a hot car for 30 minutes till my husband made it home with his house key......... very upsetting and changed my mind. (posting as amother because I am embarrassed...)

Kudos to your state! I am glad you learned the lesson without a tragedy. That could have been fatal, which I'm sure you know. Crying

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....obile

Inspired

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 12:56 pm
Everyone who leaves the baby to shlep stuff I highly suggest you take up babywearing. Then you can shlep stuff and be holding your baby at the same time. There is no good enough reason I could imagine myself having for leaving a baby alone in a car.

bbmom

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 1:11 pm
I have never been able to shelp anything while wearing my baby.

Marion

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 3:04 pm
N/A. I have a computer chip in my gas tank that autobills the company (company car). Even I don't have to get out of the car (full service).

When we were in Toronto I paid at the pump. I don't remember the last time I actually had to go into the shop to pay for gas, but it was well before I was living here.

momigor

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 4:32 pm
To Amother that posted this: Many states are passing laws making it illegal to leave a child alone in a car even for a minute (and even in your own driveway!!) You need to be within 30 feet and in view of the baby at all times. If I have kids in the car when I need gas, I look for a pump that takes cc so I don't have to pay inside. Groceries come in from the car after the baby, who is safer on the floor for a few minutes than alone in the car. I used to be of the same mindset as alwaysgrateful but then left my purse, with keys in it, in my apt with an automatic locking door and 2 babies locked in my car- even though I was only gone for 20 seconds, my kids were stuck in a hot car for 30 minutes till my husband made it home with his house key......... very upsetting and changed my mind. (posting as amother because I am embarrassed...)

THE RIGHT THING TO DO in this situation of kids locked in a hot car is to CALL 911...not wait for keys!!!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics