Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Twin pregnancy support!

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:34 pm
Hello everyone!
So, here I am, 23 weeks pregnant with twins. My doctors have all made it clear that after 20 weeks I needed to be very careful with myself, as we do not want to do anything to cause pre-term labor.

I was told to rest for several hours during the day (morning, afternoon, and evening) and not over-do it.

Well, that is sure easier said than done! My DH has taken this to heart and will not let me do very much. He doesn't even want me to go to the grocery store. Because of my "condition," we put toddler DD in a full time day care for the summer and well, basically I just feel like a lump who sits (or lies) around, drinks water, and eats. I guess the hardest part is that yes, when I do walk for too long I don't feel well. Sometimes I wonder whose body I am in!

For those that have been through multiple pregnancies, how did you through the second half? Did you take it easy?

momofmultiples

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:36 pm
Hi and B'sha tova

I took it very easy because I had no choice and I wanted to ensure the twins have the best chance at growing to a healthy weight (they were born B"H at 38 weeks)

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:38 pm
Thanks for the quick reply!
Did your doctor put you on official bedrest? Or just tell you to take it easy?

B"H as of now, I believe there are no signs of pre-term labor...

goodluck

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:39 pm
anonymous posting in this forum is disabled. therefore you can pm me if you want chizuk

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:40 pm
Thanks! Will do!

Yes, I wonder why there is no anonymous for the multiples forum... What

QUEENY

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:41 pm
You are very lucky you were told to take it easy after twenty weeks. I was told I could work up until my due date (stairs +23 -3 year olds). At 26 weeks I went into early labor. I was in the hospital for 4 days put on bed rest for ten weeks and a portable IV and was hooked up to a moniter that was hooked up to a nurses station. For the next ten weeks I tried not to pick up my 18th month old. I read alot, was on the computer alot and only went on very brief walks when the doctor said it was o.k.. Take it easy, enjoy being a "bump' while you have the chance b.c. the next few years will be like a roller coaster ride.

momofmultiples

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:46 pm
no it wasnt bed rest but I had hyperemisis so I couldnt do much (that was probably totally mispelled).
in case you dont know what it is - it was out of control morning sickness that lasted until I delivered.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:47 pm
Yes, I was told to stop work at 20 weeks, but I am still working from home for another month...I think that is ok.

I guess from your story Queeny, it sounds like there is a real reason for it!

QUEENY

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:54 pm
The reason is which I didn't find out until I was 26 weeks is that I was overdoing it. I shlepped heavy bags, always carrying 30lb kids around. I didn't slow down b.c. I was pregnant. I didn't realize I had to until it was too late. B'h they were born at 35 weeks and they were small but now at four years old, you would never know, they are cuties.

Mirabelle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:57 pm
DD is 32 pounds...as much as I try I really cannot rely on DH to do everything for her.... embarrassed

QUEENY

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:03 pm
Try to do things with her sitting down on your lap so her weight doesn't put pressure on you. Maybe if you slow down in other ways you can save your strength to take care of her.

momtobe2

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:33 pm
Firstly Congragulation!! I known just what your feeling I was told to be careful after I landed in the hospital at 32 weeks - I was dialated 4 and fully thinned out - however I kept on working from home to keep myself busy, I was mostly indoors and let DH take care of what I needed. I gave birth to a Boy & Girl at 37 weeks (now 4 months) - enjoy every moment while it lasts since time flys buy so fast!! Good Luck and rest up!! Smile

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:16 am
you're doing something WONDERFULLY important--- growing your children!

I was on official bedrest for 15 weeks and before that wasn't allowed to walk much. It was awful and I hated it but it was the right thing to do--- my cervix was very very effaced. If your doctor told you to rest- there's a good reason, so please listen!

For me, I didn't already have children- with a toddler, you've got the issue of being alone with her- how do you get her in her crib, change her diaper, etc. Hopefully you don't have to lift her--- she's in a toddler bed already, and you can change her diaper on the couch instead of a changing table? You can still hug and kiss her like crazy, but she can "help" you grow the babies-- that's why you're not lifting her!

golddigger

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 12:23 am
Congrats!
Yes you have to take it easy...rather safe than sorry.
I was not put on bed rest b'h but the second half I really took it easy , just like yours; my husband didn't let me do much either, he would tell me to take a car to and from grocery etc...........
You need to have koach and eat smart , so they can grow & be healthy. G'luk

My twins were born @ 38 weeks.

Kumphort

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 11:07 am
I guess it really depends on each person and their specific preg. I worked albeit at my cushy desk job, until the day before I delivered at 37 weeks, 8 weeks ago

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:07 pm
My doctor told me about the taking it easy after 20 weeks thing at my first appt...therefore I believe it is his "twins policy." I specifically chose a doctor with many years of experience, so in this respect I am not going to make a big deal about it.Anyway, once DH heard that there was no way he was going to let me go about my normal way.

It's funny that you say that worked at a desk job until the end. My doctor DAVKA told me that I need to spend a portion of the day lying down and that I cannot sit at a desk for 8 hours....interesting!

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 6:57 pm
My girls are 2 1/4 now k"h

I spent a good few months at the beginning, and again at the end of my preg doing absolutely zero physical work. Just getting dressed in the morning was enough excersise to warrant a half-hour lay down. I read books all day long in my bed to my toddler (too much effort to take her out of the house, plus she really was a very easy to please little girl who made very few demands).

As my hubby so sweetly put it when I was having a bad day, You are not doing nothing! You are achieving growth which most people will never achieve!

If it's any consolation, I found the hardest part of having twins was definitely the later parts of the pregnancy.

B'sha'a Tova! Very Happy

Mirabelle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 7:17 pm
I hear you about getting dressed being tough...right now I have major trouble bending down to put on my shoes. I think this is because one twin is currently below the belly button and one is above...so really hard to bend.

We put DD into a full time day care for the summer as she is a kid that needs "activities" and has been doing to school since she turned 2 last Fall. I do feel bad about it, but I know I need to be honest with myself and realize that I really do not have the ability to give her a fun summer at the moment.

Sometimes when she sits on my lap and leans on my stomach it hurts and I feel bad telling her to get off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more