Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Experiments in the kitchen
Previous  1  2  3  4

lucky

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 8:31 am
shanie5 wrote:

2 tsp paprika
1tblsp sugar
1 tsp sal1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups flour

Read this somewhere.
Chulent kishka should be:
Beautiful like Rachel
Cries like Leah (shmaltzy)
Good like Yaakov
Red like Eisov (spicy)

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:33 am
dina wrote:
btw I make these every week and they come out delicious. I've never had them fall apart or burn. Here's the recipe:
Fry 1 med. onion. Remove from pan and add breadcrumbs, flour, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, and the oil that you used to fry the onion with. Mix everything. You might have to add more oil depending on how much oil you used to fry the onion (can add water instead). Sorry I don't have the exact measurements for the breadcrumbs or flour. I think it's about 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup flour. If the mixture is too dry add more oil or water. Form into balls and stick it in the cholent.

We like it Smile

another tip: I save empty pickle containers, matzo meal and bread crumb containers etc. and use them for liquid garbage that I don't want to pour down my sink or toilet.

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:41 am
Motek wrote:
haven't you noticed, when you peel zucchini that under the peel it's slimy, and it gets into your fingers unless you wash it off?

Hey, Motek, 3 years later, I've noticed! Smile
I used to peel off way more than necessary embarrassed which is why I didn't know what you were talking about.

gryp

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:45 am
GR wrote:
Motek wrote:
haven't you noticed, when you peel zucchini that under the peel it's slimy, and it gets into your fingers unless you wash it off?

Hey, Motek, 3 years later, I've noticed! Smile
I used to peel off way more than necessary embarrassed which is why I didn't know what you were talking about.

Oh, I see I posted that already.
Yael, I know what you mean about the butternut squash too.

greentiger

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 10:42 am
sarahd wrote:
RG wrote:

cinnamon in vegetable soup? that is very funny!

Believe me. My sister refuses to let me live that one down. Very Happy

Ive put cinamon in butternut squash-apple soup it was really good I found a recipe for it online.

I ALWAYS experement in the kitchen. I am not scared of making mistakes and after a while you get a feel of what goes and what doesn't.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:27 am
I experiment a lot in the kitchen but can't always repeat them since I really make it up as I go along.

BTW, the secret to making your own matzoh meal is to grind it twice. No matter how finely you think you ground it the first time it gets much finer the second time around.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:16 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Mother's milk does not go well with coffee (I was desperate). It's too fatty, and it's not homogenized, so it just separates in the coffee, and you get oil circles on top.

Isn't mother's milk treif?

That is what my dh said...the rov said otherwise.

Edited. PM me with any concerns (or e-mail me at crayon2100@yahoo.com if you are concerned about your privacy). -Crayon210

amother

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:22 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
amother wrote:
Mother's milk does not go well with coffee (I was desperate). It's too fatty, and it's not homogenized, so it just separates in the coffee, and you get oil circles on top.

Isn't mother's milk treif?

One can not drink it direct from the mother, but can taste it if it is expressed.
Same goes for a child who has been weaned. He may not go back to nursing but may drink it from a cup.

Crayon, if you want a source, let me know. Will get it for you! (just in preparation! Wink )

Cupcake Queen

Post Thu, Nov 12 2009, 9:02 am
amother wrote:
Anybody heard of peeling garlic only nwith aplastic knife?? Is it a yiddish minhag.???

I know this is an old thread...but yes. We do that also. The knife need just can't be metal. I am not sure if this is for scientific/kabbalistic reasons. We learned it from good friends who are chassidish and always eat a clove of raw garlic by melave malkah. I usually just peel it with my fingers. It's brought down somewhere... Wink
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen