Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Experiments in the kitchen
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Motek

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 3:56 pm
and I make salads directly in the bowls that I will serve them in, no transferring from containers to the serving bowl! And any leftover salad gets put away in that serving bowl (covered with a bag Smile or saran wrap).

this won't work if you have a small fridge or it's very full because the bowls take up lots of space

zuncompany

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:27 pm
I found my salad dressings don't come out as well done in the bowl.

rydys

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:35 pm
My father puts chocolate chips in his cholent. I was hesitant at first, but it was really good!

zuncompany

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 4:44 pm
I would love that recipe!

AweSumThenSum

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 5:04 pm
chocolate chips in cholent????????? why, I do believe I've heard it all now!!! yael, I'm w/ u on the butternut misery. I love the soup, but hate what the preparation does to my hands. no matter what I do, it invariably takes me approximately 3 rinses w/ soap and a scrub brush to get my hands clean. definitely do not work w/ butternut squash on day of mik w/o gloves.
some tips:

place a damp cloth underneath the bowl when kneading dough (gasp!! I knead my challah dough by hand, and this works wonders)

line food containers w/ a clear plastic bag so that the container remains clean once ure done using the food (I make a big pot of chicken soup and compote and I divide the food into several containers for freezing.) the clear bag allows me to see what's inside the container!!

toothbrushes are really handy in the kitchen. I use an old toothbrush to clean knives where the blade meets the handle, and also to clean the tines of forks when food gets stuck inbetween.

for maximum nutritional value, do not cut vegetables w/ a metal bladed knife. I know, it's almost impossible to cut vegetables with a plastic knife, but at the very least, shred the leafy veggies by hand. the metal blade pulls out a large portion of the vitamins contained in the vegetables.

if ur hands smell from working w/ food (I.e. onion, garlic, etc...) rub ur hands and fingers with a stainless steel object (they sell stainless steel bars that look like soap bars) under cold water for several seconds. it works like magic, and this is further proof of the suction power of stainless steel.

Sunshine

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 5:46 pm
How do you guys peel/cut butternut squash? I am not strong enough. My husband always helps me with that. Guess I gotta strengthen those muscles. Pyrex bowls with lids are a lifesaver! I saw them at s/o's house and when I got married bought a whole bunch, two of every size! I have two sets for milchig that are plain with blue tops and two sets with a design on them with white tops for fleishig. They are the greatest. I make my Shabbos food in them and just stick the lid on to store in the fridge. This way I don't have to wash a bowl that the salads are made in wash the bowl that they are served in transfer left overs into container and serve Shabbos morning in a nother bowl that will need washing. Also, the lids keep the food from drying out and the fridge from smelling more so than if you use bags. Saves lots of time and the fleishig are pretty (not stunning) enough for a Shabbos table. This way all my salad/dip bowls match! I am such a fan of Pyrex! My milchig baking pans are the ones that match my milchig bowls and I have lids to those too. Lids are also great for stacking bowls. Also glass cleans so well much better than stainless steel and nonstick pans. I was worried that with all that glass something is gonna break but bli ayin hara everything is in one peice.

zuncompany

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 6:28 pm
sunshine... I actually use a normal pealer to peal it. chickchock!

sara

Sunshine

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 6:53 pm
Those things are as hard as a rock! What is strange is that when you cook them in water they get soft very fast.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Jan 03 2005, 8:52 pm
experiment w/ different peelers

Tovah

Post Tue, Jan 04 2005, 10:57 pm
you can steam the squash first and then the peel comes right off.

miriam

Post Tue, Jan 04 2005, 11:07 pm
I have a chinese knife that slides thru carrots and b squash.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 4:40 am
Where did you get it?

miriam

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 10:44 am
From my mother-in-law. I will ask her, bli neder.

dina

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 10:23 pm
3)kishke balls in the cholent- I thought it would work, but they all fell apart, and burned the bottom of the pot. the cholent did taste good though.... bad idea...

btw I make these every week and they come out delicious. I've never had them fall apart or burn. Here's the recipe: Fry 1 med. onion. Remove from pan and add breadcrumbs, flour, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp salt, and the oil that you used to fry the onion with. Mix everything. You might have to add more oil depending on how much oil you used to fry the onion (can add water instead). Sorry I don't have the exact measurements for the breadcrumbs or flour. I think it's about 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup flour. If the mixture is too dry add more oil or water. Form into balls and stick it in the cholent.

gryp

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 10:26 pm
thanx!
I really did like the idea of kishke balls.
I guess it was the recipe I was using.
ill try yours next time im in the experimenting mood- maybe this friday because it looks like im having a few guests again this week

miriam

Post Wed, Jan 05 2005, 11:11 pm
Try a natural food store but it's expensive....

shanie5

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 6:51 pm
I put kishka balls -kishkelach- in my chulent all the time. its delish
2 tsp paprika
1tblsp sugar
1 tsp sal1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1 1/2 cups flour

put in a bowl in order given. mix ill forms ball. either put in chulent as is (do not wrap) or make into little balls and put in chulent.

adds lots of flavor

I also pur knaidlach in my chulent. can be precooked or not. great either way

amother

Post Fri, Nov 25 2005, 2:24 pm
Anybody heard of peeling garlic only nwith aplastic knife?? Is it a yiddish minhag.???

tzivi

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 6:20 am
amother wrote:
Anybody heard of peeling garlic only nwith aplastic knife?? Is it a yiddish minhag.???

I have never heard of that before, but I certainly am interested to know. Rolling Eyes

sarahd

Post Sat, Nov 26 2005, 1:34 pm
How could it be a yiddish minhag? Plastic is a pretty recent phenomenon.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen