Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Turnip recipe

supermom

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 3:22 am
we bought turnips wondering what we can do with it besides make a salad or put it into one.

MMEC123

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 5:51 pm
I have a delicious recipe for fish that uses turnips from "Fresh From the Kitchen" by Mindy Ribner. If you're interested, let me know and I can type it up.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Mar 12 2006, 10:58 pm
For many hundreds of years, turnip was a staple in the European's diet... this was before the discovery of the potato in the 1500's.

Mashed turnips are pretty good, you cook them up as you would potatoes.

Another thing you can try is googling a recipe for turnips....

willow

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:32 am
Do turnips have the same starchyneess/calories as a potatoe?

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 10:33 am
I put turnips into a soup or cholent instead of potatoes. My understanding is that they have less carbs than potatoes.

chen

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 11:41 am
well, you can always carve them into flowers, dye them with beet juice, and use them to garnish a veggie platter...

Talk about supreme disappointment: I was the first speaker at an event, so I didn't get to approach the "collation" till after my moment in the spotlight. By then, all that was left on the platter was some carved roses that I assumed were made from some exotic fruit. they turned out to be...delicately tinted turnips! AAACKK! It wasn't that they tasted bad----it's just that when you are expecting the sweetness and perfume of tropical fruit and you get raw turnips, well.... it's like expecting a diamond necklace and getting a Dust Buster.

supermom

Post Mon, Mar 13 2006, 3:45 pm
thanks everyone for your suggestions. has anyone ever made fried turnips before and how do you do it? I tried to fry them and they came out well lets say yuck Puke. My husband ate it somewhere and well he wants me to make it and I have no idea how to do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics