Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Hebrew-English translators -- help!

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 8:40 am
I know I'm not the only Hebrew-English translator on here...

I'm translating (part of) a sefer for the first time. How do I figure out which books have already been translated and where to find them? I don't want to go around making up my own translations of the Zohar, for example... but mostly there are a lot of quotes from lesser-known sefarim (שולחן הטוהר, זך ונקי, וכו') that I have no idea if they've already been translated to English or not -- how can I check? Google didn't do much (except teach me that Wikipedia is also in yiddish, which is cool).

shalhevet

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:29 am
Google is probably the best. Try asking on the jtg list - there are lots of Judaica experts there.

There are not that many lesser known seforim translated really.

entropy

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 9:48 am
I think it is worth consulting the work that has been done, but many times you will be better off with your own translation, that fits with the context of other translation choices you've made.

shosh

Post Thu, Mar 19 2009, 10:00 am
I use a few reference sites. For example, Chabad org has the Judaica press Tanach and also Pirkei Avot. There is a Soncino translation (in old-fashioned in English that you'd need to polish, but it's good for context and making sure you get the right meaning) of various parts of the Gemara on line. There's also the dreadful Rodkinson translation of the entire Gemara, but it's far less user-friendly and I only use it if I'm totally stumped! Lesser known stuff is hard to find sometimes ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers