Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did it cost you to host the Purim seudah?
Previous  1  2

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 13 2009, 5:53 pm
about $250 and I made 2 roasts(one was too small) and stuffed capons. I had 9 adults and 5 kids. Some of the salads and sides were done by other ladies who attended the meal, so we had tons of food but I didn't have to exhaust myself with all the cooking!

MyKidsRQte

Post Sat, Mar 14 2009, 10:46 pm
at least about $500

I made:

2 roasts
2 tongues
veal cutlets
chichken cutlets
deli rolls
lukshen kugels
cauliflower kugel

Thats besides the wines, etc

chavamom

Post Sat, Mar 14 2009, 11:07 pm
MyKidsRQte wrote:
at least about $500

I made:

2 roasts
2 tongues
veal cutlets
chichken cutlets
deli rolls
lukshen kugels
cauliflower kugel

Thats besides the wines, etc

How many people did that serve? shock

Tamiri

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 1:48 am
chavamom wrote:
Someone I know says the frum world is motivated by two fears "fleishaphobia" ("but then I'll be fleishig!") and "bentchaphobia" ("if I wash, I'll have to bentch!"). It's too much commitment! Louche, maybe you should start the "Fleishaphobia Anonymous" club. I"m sure you'd have plenty of business. LOL
oh my! You hit the nail on the head! I think this definition belongs in wikipedia.

Strawberry

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 5:24 am
About $35. We had an open house for yeshiva guys. I think we ended up having 30-35 guys. I made a ton of stuffed cabbage and lots of potato borekas. When we ran out of stuffed cabbage I pulled out leftover roast from the previous night's seuda (my grandmother bought it). There was no food left at the end. It wasnt a full meal with courses but it was an open house with no set time (all day event) plus all the guests were drunk so I didn't bother.

Oh the wine costs too but I don't shop for that so I dont know. (I do know tha dh got it all on a huge sale but I don't know the total nor do I want to hear how much he spent!)

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 5:36 am
chavamom wrote:
Someone I know says the frum world is motivated by two fears "fleishaphobia" ("but then I'll be fleishig!") and "bentchaphobia" ("if I wash, I'll have to bentch!"). It's too much commitment! Louche, maybe you should start the "Fleishaphobia Anonymous" club. I"m sure you'd have plenty of business. LOL

ROLTFL
You just described me as a teenager!

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 6:33 am
chanchy123 wrote:
chavamom wrote:

ROLTFL
You just described me as a teenager!

My friend told me all her kids went though a vegetarian phase, and for some it lasted longer than others. The main point was to have Ice Cream at night or on Shabbot afternoon LOL LOL

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 8:07 am
4 couples, 8 kids plus whoever walked in the door. I had enough leftovers for one day Sad

3Qts

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 10:03 am
WOW So if it costs so much to make 1 Purim Seudah How much will it cost for 8 days pesach?
( I am trying to convince my husband that it is cheaper to go to a hotel!)

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 10:09 am
3Qts wrote:
WOW So if it costs so much to make 1 Purim Seudah How much will it cost for 8 days pesach?
( I am trying to convince my husband that it is cheaper to go to a hotel!)

it depends if you invite guests or not. and the people who spent lots of money probably had lots leftover - enough for a few meals.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 10:12 am
pesach, last year, ran about $3000 give or take on food alone. It would cost us more to go to hotel cuz we have a houseful of kids, BH

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 15 2009, 9:01 pm
louche wrote:
granolamom wrote:
I no longer believe that a yontif sueda MUST be fleishig. Its plenty festive, and we have fish for those who are interested. everyone is happy and enjoys their food. we even :::::horrors!::::: have milchig meals on pesach and succos.

aaaaawwwwwRIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTT!!! Lets' hear it for Tevye the Milchiger!!! An inveterate lover of all things dairy, who never met an ice cream I didn't like, I vastly prefer milchik to fleishik and am psychologically uncomfortable being fleishik. (Fleishik lovers, don't give me that garbagio about pareve ice cream--IMO they all taste like soap, and anyway plastic is for shopping bags, not for dessert.) I get much more yomtovdik oneg from a nice broiled salmon than from chicken Kiev or a steak. After two fleishik meals in a row I'm starting to feel sluggish, and by the third I'm so fleishiked out I need two weeks to even hear the word "fleishik" without wincing.

I hear ya loud & clear ... now where's my ice cream Mr. Green

curlytop

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 12:22 am
I would say it cost a good $200-300 .
I made deli roll, soup, 2 roasts, franks in blanks, kugels...etc..
I had 4 couples, plus kids, and about a dozen guys.
I dunno, food costs a fortune.
Oh yea, and I bought nice paper but I don;t know how much that was.

Happy Mom

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 3:55 pm
Wow, no wonder people get nervous about the cost of Pesach food if it costs you so much for one meal! Sad

We don't spend anywhere near that, and never have. I didn't buy anything special for the seuda (had it all in the house), and though we changed plans to a dairy meal at the last minute, it wasn't less expensive than a fleishig meal would have been. (It was maybe around $15 for our family of ten and three adult guests - we don't buy alcoholic drinks.) Then again, I wouldn't have found it necessary to have more than chicken as the main protein for the seuda - a few kinds of meat is a very expensive standard.

I hate to think that someone who can't afford the kind of expenses outlined here feels like they're doomed to spend huge amounts over Pesach. It's just not necessary, you'd have to work very hard to spend money to make going to a Pesach hotel a frugal option! (But if you can afford it and want to go, why not go and don't worry about justifying the expense?)

ChutzPAh

Post Mon, Mar 16 2009, 8:39 pm
What did you serve that cost $1 per person?

Happy Mom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 12:20 am
Detailed in the middle of the post below:

http://vibrantmoms.com/homemak.....urim/

This was only possible because of buying the items on sale, otherwise it would have been significantly more.

leomom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2009, 12:40 am
I have to say I am stunned by how much people spend on the seudah! I guess I'm sheltered and naive because we don't eat meat, but some of you spent more on that one seudah than my family spends on food for a month. If you can afford to do it and your guests appreciate it, I think it's beautiful -- but way out of my league.

I didn't host a Purim seudah this year, but I can tell you that for the entire week of Pesach we spend maybe $200 on tons and tons of produce, another $100 or so on matza, not sure how much on grape juice and wine, and maybe $150-200 for miscellaneous other food items -- no meat, but some dairy stuff and gefilte fish.

We have only a few guests at the seder and other Shabbos/Yom Tov meals, so it's true that the cost would go up if we had bigger crowds. But still, although the cost is a good deal more than an ordinary week, it's not outrageous.

ihyphenated

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 9:37 pm
we were supposed to have two couples, besides us, but the wives bailed (work!) and so we had lots of leftovers, I made cabbage salad, baked egg rolls, and spaghetti and meatballs (made by DH, bless his heart!) and chicken soup.

I used 2 packs of meal mart ground beef (12 dollars) to make meatballs and the filling for egg rolls
a quart of frozen chicken soup (made from bones, probably a few dollars for the whole big pot, so I would say about 80 cents)
a small cabbage for salad and part of the egg roll filling (60c/lb, so probably 1.20)
a few carrots, for the soup and for part of the egg roll filling (1 dollar?)
a pound of Ronzoni Pasta (2 dollars)
I had to buy apricot jam and soy sauce to make duck sauce.. tack on about 9 dollars for that...
egg roll wrappers, 3.50 (Nasoya brand)
1/2 a grapefruit for the cabage salad dressing (50c?)
miscellaneous oil, spices...
for the pasta sauce and meatballs...
a large can of crushed tomatoes (1.25)
a box of baby bella mushrooms (1.99)
a bunch of scallions (99c)
2 onions (50c)
homemade breadcrumbs (25c??)
homemade bread for people to wash on- w rosemary and olive oil- (a few dollars of flour, maybe?)
3 bottles of wine; one was 19 dollars and 2 were gifts.
served all the pareve purim candy for dessert!!!

imaamy

Post Tue, Mar 24 2009, 9:47 am
Would you mind posting the baked egg roll recipe?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics