Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Croup

Didi

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 2:50 pm
So my son has croup, , we have to give him steriods to get rid of it. We have already gone for lung xrays which were fine. We are now dealing with an ENT that says it might be coming from reflux. We already gave him one month on Zantac but it did not help as he got croup 2x's since them. We are now on our second week of prevacid for the reflux. But we still have croup.

We have tried a cool air humidifier, steam and cool air walks.

Can anyone think of anything else we can do???

rydys

Post Sun, Dec 19 2004, 2:59 pm
How long has your son had croup? generally croup is a viral infection of the upper airway. It is usually the worst on the first 2 nights then resolves slowly over 7-10 days. If it is lasting longer than that or getting worse every time he comes off steroids, its time to think it is not croup but stridor and you need to aggressively pursue another non-infectious cause. reflux can be a cause, but after 2 weeks on prevacid I'd expect to see it start to get better. Otherwise he may need bronchoscopy to look at his airway and see what is going on.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 12:01 am
My son is on previcid. How do you give it to him? He just started 2 weeks ago. We give him the solutabs and its hard not to let him chew them. We think my son has reflux too. Well he had an endoscopy recently. The doc couldn't say whther it came from allergies or not. But he has been better on previcid. He has times when hes good and times when its bad. I would say to check out the reflux. Reflux is connected to alot of kid illnesses. Oh elvevate the crib. That can help.

hadasa

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 2:06 am
Some of my kids also have a tendency to get croup. I have one son who ended up in the hospital on a respirator. For mild croup, I use an old wives' remedy: I cut an onion into quarters and put it next to their pillow when they're sleeping. Although this obviously cannot take the place of medications when necessary, it has worked wonders for me. If you use it together with the humidifier, the whole room will really smell of onion fumes, but I've found it's worth it. (Take it from someone who is usually very skeptical about old-wives' remedies.)

micki

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 8:34 am
I am not sure about all the other things reflux etc but for croup this one always works.
if in the morning I hear the cough then I do not take them outside at all that day. cold air will only make it worse. then I give them a hoeopathic remedy called ACONITE I give it every 15 min. for about 3 hours. right before bed they get it agian. and we all sleep well that night.
if its the middle of the night then I turn on the shower with hot hot steam up the bathroom and sit there witht them for 20 min to open up th passageways. then I give them the aconite every 10 min. while in the bathroom then I set my alarm and give them every 30 min. (I can't get up more often) until I sleep thru my alarm. by morning if they are not well I'll continue the aconite.

imanut

Post Fri, Dec 24 2004, 10:50 am
when I was little I had croup and my mother would steam up the bathroom and I would sit in there. croup is miserable to have but this worked. it would loosen the mucous and make it easier to breathe.

sarahd

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 4:04 pm
Yes, it worked for me also. I had croup till I was about 8 years old, and steam worked every time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics