Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Can you solve the mystery? the case of the broken glass...

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:03 am
Ok heres whats happening-
you know the little glass cups that you stick in the candlesticks so that you can light with oil? well every few weeks, one of mine breaks. I don't have a clue why this keeps happening. I thought maybe it was because I was adding water to the oil so that the wicks would be at the top (I use floating wicks) without having to use too much oil. but this week I used only oil and the cup broke again! I can't figure out why this keeps happening. BH this has not led to fire being spread... so far the cups have broken above the line of the oil... but it makes me really nervous!! (obviously!!)
any insights ladies?

pinktichel

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 12:53 pm
could the wicks be getting too close to the glass? I would think the heat would cause the glass to crack.

cookielady

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 12:57 pm
This is probably not what is going on, but this has happened to me. If you don't remove those little metal discs from the bottom, the glasses will explode. When I make sure they are really well cleaned they don't usually crack.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:02 pm
I've seen it happen also. Don't ask me why, it's the oddest thing.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:04 pm
pinktichel- but isnt that what they're made for??
cookielady- interesting. I definitely always remove remnants of the last weeks wicks and clean the glass with dishwashing liquid but maybe im not cleaning well enough??

louche

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:09 pm
That's what it sounds like--wicks getting too close to the glass, unless you're using some unusual fuel that burns hotter than vegetable or mineral oil. Or all your glasses may be coming from a defective lot. Or your flames are too high. Try leaving less of the wick sticking out on top. If your floating corks are much smaller than the diameter of the cup, the wicks may be floating too close. Try larger floating discs.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:21 pm
I use olive oil. but the diameter IS much smaller than the cup. thats a wonderful idea, to use larger corks. thank you! now if only I knew where to get bigger ones... the last box I had was the octagon shaped ones instead of my usual small round ones. I wish I could remember if I had a glass break on me in that time...

louche

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:31 pm
You could try making your own by using a razor blade to slice a champagne cork into thin slices, then punching a hole in the center with a thick sewing needle or a compass needle. You'd have to cover it with foil so the cork doesn't burn, and test it out well before Shabbos to make sure it works. Test it out in the sink or bathtub just to be safe.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 1:41 pm
louche wrote:
You could try making your own by using a razor blade to slice a champagne cork into thin slices, then punching a hole in the center with a thick sewing needle or a compass needle. You'd have to cover it with foil so the cork doesn't burn, and test it out well before Shabbos to make sure it works. Test it out in the sink or bathtub just to be safe.

or I can buy bigger ones LOL seems easier!
thanks though!!

louche

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:13 pm
do they make bigger ones? I've only ever seen the ones that are about 1/2" diameter.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 2:31 pm
I think they do. I once used octagon ones that were bigger.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 5:26 pm
Yes, they do make octagon ones that are bigger, but they also make much larger round ones (bigger than the octagon ones) -- around 1" in diameter. I've been using those in glass cups (like for neironim candles) with olive oil for years and never had a cup break. I also fill half with water then the rest with the oil

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 5:27 pm
bubby, any way you can take a picture of the box for me so I know what to look for at the store?

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 9:08 pm
I'll try to take a picture but I'm kind of swamped with work right now. In general though it looks just like the small ones and the octagon ones, just a bit bigger box.

debsters1101

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 9:31 pm
I will keep my eye out, thanks so much

toastedbagel

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 12:47 am
I also use olive oil, in the neronim glasses, and I also used to have them break every so often, it is def. from the wick floating too close to the glass. (Althought the box of the neronim glasses I use advertises them as shatter-proof - yeah, right!)
What I have used in the past and started using again recently is instead of floating wicks, I use a much longer wick and a different sort of thing to hold it up. They are the height of the glass, a thin hollow metal tube with a little slit down the side, with a flat base. I've used them in silver-tone or gold-tone. Basically, you use a tall wick, and the tube keeps the wick in the center and the flame stays at the top even as the oil burns down, as it is drawn up from the bottom through the long wick/tube.
I have found them to work very well, I don't think I have every had a glass break with them.
You can also use cotton wicks with them, a bit harder to poke down the tube
- use a toothpick. I just tried googling for them, I call them chimneys, but obviously I'm not using the correct search term, so I suggest going into your local shop that sells this sort of stuff and asking if they have anything like I've described. It may only be part of their Chanukah stock, not reg. year round.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 1:00 am
Yes, try the metal tubes that keep the wick standing straight in the center.
I use the types with the nickel base and a thin long wick coming out of it. Never had cracking incidents.
Maybe it's the brand of glass cups?

debsters1101

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 8:23 am
oh yeah I think thats what my mother in law uses. I will look around, thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 04 2009, 12:18 pm
I used to use those metal tubes with the long thin (wax coated) wick standing in it and frequently had problems with the flame going out shortly after I lit it. One of my DSIL used it here this Chanukah and had the same problem.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 11:02 am
I have only replaced the glasses when they get to the point that I can no longer get them clean. I user floating wicks, I prefer the flower shaped ones---I never had a glass break.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics