Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Need sheitel advice

Mommish

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:40 pm
I need some advice on where to buy a new shaitel. I'm in Crown Heights and this is the first one I'm buying since I got married (4 yrs ago). Thanks!

queen

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 4:42 pm
what's your budget like? and can you travel to sh.macher?
shani azatchi in deal does a beautiful job. and they last. I've posted her info b4 on this site, if you can't find it/int'd- PM me

goldrose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 6:16 pm
mimi - my advice: dont get a custom that is made for you. you can't see it in advance and might end up in trouble.
Also, dont buy one at full price, ever - there are a LOT of sales on BEAUTIFUL sheitels. Especially since you're in Brooklyn.

-Edited - in discussing this with dh last night, I made a good correlation: sheitels are like cars. A 1995 car is JUST AS GOOD as a 1996 car, but probably half the price. (I believe I heard advice of the Rebbe that it is preferable to buy last year's car - same quality, better price). So buy a sheitel that is on sale because it is "last year's stock".

Last edited by goldrose on Wed, Feb 22 2006, 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

hisorerus

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:36 pm
I would very highly recommend Chana Kurinsky wigs. Excellent price, wonderful shaitels.

She'll also wash and set by mail if you can't get in to NY and want her to do it.

(718) 221-9221

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:45 pm
I like Genia, her sets last 3/4 year and she's a pro.

hardwrknmom

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:46 pm
Tina in Cedurhurst.

ektsm

Post Sun, Feb 12 2006, 7:48 pm
I think you should try one of these wig sales. Do you have a friend who is a sheitel macher? An amatur? She can go with you to tell you if the hair is good and you can have it cut by a professional sheitel macher!

Chanie

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 10:59 am
hisorerus wrote:
I would very highly recommend Chana Kurinsky wigs. Excellent price, wonderful shaitels.

I have a sheitel of hers that I hate. It's uncomfortable, itches like crazy, and the hair is way too full and thick. I bought it before I was married (4 years ago) and didn't know what to look for in a sheitel.
My other sheitel I got from Ella Skoblo, and she did a wonderful job. Looks great and feels comfortable.
4 years later, I think it's almost time to go shop again, and I'm scared to buy one and end up not liking it.

Shimmysmom

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 2:44 pm
how long do most sheitels last? when is it normal to need a new one?

hisorerus

Post Mon, Feb 13 2006, 5:53 pm
CK will thin it for you, if you ask.
Mine is comfortable enough to sleep in.
I think most people need to go get their shaitel recut after marriage, because they wore it over a ponytail before.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 22 2006, 2:07 am
I got married with two customs and would get another one in a heartbeat (if I could afford it). The tricks to get a custom that you are happy with are:
1) Make sure that you are one thousand percent sure of what you want. Let the sheitel macher know (repeat if as many times as you want) EXACTLY what you want.
2) Do not accept the sheitel until you are satisfied with it. Most sheitel machers will gladly work with you until you are happy.

I got both of my sheitels (a Rachel & a Shevy) by Raizy Shwartz. I will go back to her again when I need to get another custom because she worked with the sheitel companies to make sure that I was happy (that did not take much as I was very sure of what I wanted and I got what I wanted rather quickly). The only chisoron of doing this is that it's hard to get an thru to Raizy and custom sheitels are pretty expensive.

Another thing - what I have done in the meantime (I am married close to five years) is I have gone to the Milano sale and bought two of those. They are not customs (does not fit as well, color is not 100% mine, etc.) but they are a very good substitute for the price that you pay.

amother

Post Sun, Mar 05 2006, 6:28 pm
I would just go to MIla's wigs and buy one from her directly. She gives great prices to her customers and her wigs have nice hair. While I think Raizy is an amazing Sheitel macher she is very very expensive. I could never afford to spend $2000+ on a sheitel. It's just never going to be in my budget. But if I had the money I would be breaking down her door for a sheitel. She is a wonderful person and great sheitel macher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels