Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
PETA attacks shechita
1  2  Next

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 7:49 pm
http://www.jewishpress.com/new.....=4494

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 8:20 pm
http://shmais.com/news.cfm?ID=18317

gryp

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 10:04 pm
the ultimate communication Very Happy

Motek

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 10:23 pm
yup Smile

http://www.israelnationalnews......73580

micki

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 11:54 pm
we used to live in Postville.
They are good people- not fair that this is happeneing to them.

Sunshine

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:19 pm
How long ago did you live there?

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:34 pm
sholom rubashkin seems completely unconcerned

he said the PETA video is a fraud and explained how some of the scenes in it couldn't possibly have happened

Sunshine

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:59 pm
I don't really think Shalom Mordechai Rubashkin is unconcerned as this is affecting him big time and he is loosing a lot of customers and $. I know many people who stopped buying his meat bec of this and now buy other brands. This is very bad PR for him among not frum or moddern orthodox people.

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 1:04 pm
either he was just acting unconcerned or maybe he hadn't felt the effects yet, or maybe there really isn't reason for concern, I don't know

doesn't seem to be a rational decision to buy other brands when all shochtim kill the same way, but when it comes to things like this, people aren't necessarily rational

rubashkin may end up gaining if he can sue for libel

Rivka

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 9:55 pm
I read about this in the Jewish paper and really they don't treat their animals and schecht the way everyone does according to the paper and most of it sounded against the rules, just coz the animals are going to be killed you still have to treat them kindly.

zuncompany

Post Sat, Dec 25 2004, 10:06 pm
Rivka... it came out that it was all a bunch of baloney! The Governor of Iowa went and saw nothing of the sort! He even official said, he did not see anything PETA was talking about. I hope they sue PETA cause they are so anti-semetic and hate yiddishkeit. They have been looking to do this for a long time. Sad! What is even more sad is that frum jews not only are believing it, but spreading it around!

Sara

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 6:44 am
Absolutely. I read or heard somewhere that Rubashkin shechts on the order of 18,000 animals a month (or is it year?) Clearly, when dealing with so many animals, it's bound to happen that a few will not get shechted properly. That's what the mashgichim are there for. If someone's hanging around the slaughterhouse for a month, he will more than likely find three or four such instances that he can film. Does anyone think the same or worse doesn't go on in other slaughterhouses, kosher or not?

gryp

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 8:13 am
PETA is just plain crazy and anti-semitic.
they compared the slaughtering of animals to concentration camps in the Holocaust

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 9:45 am
RG, you're 100% right. See this link for a reasoned explanation of the story: http://www.aish.com/jewishissu.....y.asp

micki

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 10:49 am
we lived there no too long ago- and they shecht 500 cows a DAY there. there is bound to be a mishap somehow. they have been cleared with peta but unfortunatly some are now criticizing the method of shchita. the morals of some that live there. being that I know these people well some things can believed, others cannot.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 12:47 pm
did any of u c the video? I did, and it is so gross. imean, it is a little tough on the stomach to see the animals shoved into a humongous machine with only their necks and heads sticking out, being turned upside down, hosed down and then having its neck slit. yes, it's the proper and humane way to shecht an animal, but it's still tough to watch.
on the other hand, u gotta remember that peta is against the killing of all animals, regardless of the method, so a slaughterhouse, by virtue of what goes on in there, is on peta's blacklist BEFORE any peta rep even steps foot inside.
finally, there is a lot of hypocrisy that goes on in the hechsherim world - some rabbis are corrupted and are paid to look the other way, so u really gotta b careful out there.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 2:59 pm
Awesum, shechita is not for the faint of stomach. My brother in law once took a group of mesivta kids to a slaughterhouse when they were learning the related gemoras. He is no sissy, but he had a hard time stomaching what he saw there.

No one says that shechita looks nice, but there's a difference between what looks horrible and what causes pain to animals. Blood and gore do not necessarily = pain. In fact, the more blood comes out, the quicker the animal loses consciousness.

As far as corruption, I am not mekabel that negative statement. We really need to be careful about posting lashon hara, especially about entire groups of people.

Last edited by sarahd on Mon, Dec 27 2004, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

micki

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 3:09 pm
yes shcita is messy and ugly. but just becasue it is not pretty does not mean its cruel.
I saw the video- recognized the shochet. they collected the video over the course of 270 days. so yes there is bound to be an animal who lives even with his neck cut.
Quote:
some rabbis are corrupted and are paid to look the other way, so u really gotta b careful out there.

unfortunatly this is true. there is an article that was sent to us about this and agri and I'm not sure I should post it even though it is tru.

AweSumThenSum

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 3:12 pm
it is not loshon horah since it is for the benefit of the tzibur, and I did not name any names. people deserve to know when there is something negative going on that impacts their lives in a very real, very direct, albeit intangible way. actually, I shouldnt even write intangible, because eating food that isnt 100% kosher has been proven to have a negative affect on the minds and hashkofos of those who eat it, WITHOUT them even being aware of it. so imagine if there is a child who is having problems learning, and this could be the cause????????????????

zuncompany

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 3:19 pm
but you are relying on non=frum, non-jewish sources to tell you its not okay? I don't think so! PETA did everything they could to make them look bad. Plain and simple. Nobody in the frum world came out saying PETA even had an ounce of credit. Why are you relying on people who know nothing about kosher meat and how its produced? They are anti-semites and have killing animals in general. OF COURSE THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE THEM LOOK BAD!

And yes, it is loshon hara (I asked).

Sara
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics