Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Need protien Ideas

PIP

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:53 pm
My daughter has a very sensitive stomach. She's not allergic per say, but she get loads of diarrhea every time she eats certain foods. Her foods are so limited, I don't know what to feed her anymore!

Her sensitivities include-
Anything fried
Tuna
Eggs
Tomato (sauces etc, included)
Chick Peas
Peas
Beans
Milk (yogurt included)
probably soft cheeses like cottage cheese but I'm not 100% sure

I feel like she lived on grilled cheese, bread, pasta, and potatoes! She does great w\ carbs, but she needs healthy food! I started giving her soy pudding- I don't know how healthy it is, but she loves it.

Any food ideas?

Pineapple

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:54 pm
Does she eat chicken?

Last edited by Pineapple on Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 10:56 pm
You don't mention her having any reaction to poultry and red meat. Anything wrong with those proteins? And if she doesn't have any problem with soy, then there are so many products out there that would work great for her. Try some and see how she likes them and how she does with them.

PIP

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:06 pm
she gets chicken, but if its those breaded cutlets that come in a bag- forget it!
she's only 13 months- too young for red meat.
Forgot to add that to the list- and chicken soup! but thats a supper item not lunch.

Oh, and the soup has to be clear. Carrots and squash are no-no's too. (unless I put potatoes- I can't look at potatoes anymore!)

PIP

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:07 pm
Thanks for the soy idea, I'll look into it. But is it really healthy?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:13 pm
PrettyInPink wrote:
Thanks for the soy idea, I'll look into it. But is it really healthy?

I hear mixed things about soy all the time. I figure like anything else, use in moderation. My toddler is off soy now, due to his own allergy issues, but before I was giving 1-2 meals soy based per week. And no soy milk. Didn't want to over do it.

Oh, you know what else you can try is nutritional yeast. Vegans use it all the time to get protein into their meals. It's just a powder you sprinkle on your food and it tastes quite good. So you can serve those carbs with a generous sprinkling of nutritional yeast and know your child is getting some quality protein with it.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:14 pm
And also you didn't mention any probelm with nuts. If those are a non issue, peanut butter is great. So is almond butter, cashew butter, etc.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2009, 11:44 pm
If she can’t handle the beans and peas, how can she handle soy? I’m confused. Does her condition have a name? it sounds very much like IBD. What’s up with her – I’m sure I can help,. Tell me more.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 4:49 am
Who says a 13 month old is too young for red meat? DS is 13 months, and allergic to milk, eggs, soy and wheat, and we've been trying to get him to have more protein, but he's really picky.
Lentils are a good protein source, I made a thick lentil soup, which everyone likes. You could also try quinoa, which is supposed to be excellent protein. Besides tuna, there are loads of other kinds of fish. Try salmon, or salmon patties, or baked fish fingers.

meirav

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 5:04 am
Would she eat blended soups? There are no pieces, and then you can put in all the veggies you want.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 5:13 am
Homemade wheat gluten?? Recipes are online. It's really easy to make. I marinate it in bbq sauce, than grill it like steak. It's pretty good. It's also really cheap to make - about $1/pound.

We make homemade soy milk. It's delicious hot and fresh and unflavored right from the soymilk maker. We also like it in smoothies. Like another poster said, we just eat soy in moderation. I do buy organic soy beans for the milk.

You could buy protein powder (there are pareve soy-based ones and dairy milk/whey-based ones, others too) and just add it to other things you're making for her.

Miso soup?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 5:45 am
why can't she have chicken for lunch? make extra when you have it for supper and she can have the leftovers. you can mash it with mayo like tuna.

newmom

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 7:31 am
soy yogurt

mother48

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:05 am
13mo is not too young for red meat!! ground meat is fine, and when it's small, it's fine for her. if you cook a stew, it's also soft, or put some meat in soup.

cook chicken and freeze it in portions, so you can defrost and use as necessary

qeenB

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:24 am
one of my kids was allergic to lots of stuff so I gave him lots of fleishigs with rice and potatoes and lots of avocados. I found the meat from a meat soup was much softer and easier for a toddler to eat than ground meat. I always made extra for dinner and warmed it up for lunch.

PIP

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:27 am
ShakleeMom wrote:
If she can’t handle the beans and peas, how can she handle soy? I’m confused. Does her condition have a name? it sounds very much like IBD. What’s up with her – I’m sure I can help,. Tell me more.

We don't know exactly what it is yet. I am waiting for her insurance to start (hopefully soon) So we could see what it is exactly. The doctor doesn't think she has allergies, but her body still reacts to ANYTHING gassy. B"H She's good w\ soy, but anything that is even a little gassy- forget it! She's been like this since she was a baby, now that she eats more food everyday it's really coming out more. Waiting for that letter from the insurance company.....

Quote:
Lentils are a good protein source, I made a thick lentil soup, which everyone likes. You could also try quinoa, which is supposed to be excellent protein. Besides tuna, there are loads of other kinds of fish. Try salmon, or salmon patties, or baked fish fingers.

Thanks, I tried other fish- was a disaster, Lentils I would assume wouldn't be good for her either.

Thanks for all the ideas! My grocery list is growing!

WeAreOne

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:37 am
Pure techina is full of healthy proteins.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Jan 06 2009, 10:40 am
Peanut butter, almond butter, soy yogurt...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics