Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Donuts

rydys

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 5:16 pm
any good donut recipes?

Henya

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 6:30 pm
1 pkg. yeast
1/4 c.water
3/4 c. juice (hot)
1/3 c. margarine
1 egg
4 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
4 c. cups flour

-mix yeast & water & let rest
-melt margarine in juice
-add egg, sugar & salt to juice & cool
-add in yeast mixture
-add flour & knead
-Let rise for 1 hour
-roll & cut. Rise again
-deep fry at 375 then dip into glaze
-put icing sugar in a bag & mix the balls (insides of doughnuts) in it.

Glaze:
1 Tbsp. margarine
1 c. confectioners sugar
3 Tbsp. water

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 7:16 pm
We followed the recipe in the Lubavitch cookbook and they didn't come out as expected Crying Sad Pretty disappointing.

zuncompany

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 7:33 pm
I have a to die for donut recipe. I found this one cause I was so so disappointed in the one from the Lubavitch cookbook.

Here it goes... from 1000 Jewish recipes by faye levy

Israeli doughnuts

3/4 cup luke warm water
2 envelopes dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups flour
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
3/4 stick marg (6 Tbsps)
1 tsp vanilla
grated ring of 1 lemon (I never actually put this in)
2 tsp salt
oil
powdered sugar

1. pour 1/2 cup water sprinkle in yeast and 1 tps sugar. let it stand 10 mins

2 4 cups flour into bowl (they suggest into a mixer with a dough hook, but I do it by hand and its yummy). make a well and put in remaining sugar, eggs, yolks, marg, vanilla, lemon rind, remaining water, and salt. mix in the well until blended. add yeast mixture. mix until dough is formed.

3.knead dough (if using a mixed for 5 min on med). if dough is very sticky add in 2 Tbsps flour. knead until smooth. put dough in clean oiled bowl and turn to coat it with oil. cover with damp cloth and let rise for 1 and a half hours. should double in size.

4.coat tray with flour. roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick. cut dough into rounds. transfer rounds onto floured tray. If you want to fill them with jam (have it 1/4 inch thick) put a little in the center and cover with another round. wet around the edges and press edges firmly. cover rounds with damp cloth and let rise 30 mins. knead scraps and let sit another 30 mins and start over. I personally just make these into munchkins instead.

5. pour oil into deep fryer or pan. do not fill more than half way with oil. heat oil to 350 degrees. If you don't have an oil therm. test but putting a tiny piece of dough in. its should bubble gently around the dough if its ready. Add 4-5 doughnuts. DO NOT CROWD THEM! Fry about 3 mins each side. If they brown to quickly reduce the heat or they won't be cooked through. drain on paper towels. s

6. sift powdered sugar over them. serve hot, warm, or room temp.

They are so so good. I need to put some more up soon for my husband to take to work and share with everyonethere.

Sara

micki

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 7:49 pm
we did the suganiyot receie in lub. cookbook- out of this world!!!!

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Dec 08 2004, 7:58 pm
Henyas doughnauts are good, I remember tasting them last year at a shiur at her house.....(I am sure others are good too..)

Sunshine

Post Thu, Dec 09 2004, 2:38 pm
Jelly doughnuts are my favorite kind! Sara, your recipe looks so much easier than the one in Spice and Spirit. Their's needs 3 risings! Who has that much time?! I will try it on Sun and let you know how they come out! Thanks for posting the recipe!

girliesmommy

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 8:01 am
It's this time of year again... Very Happy

Anyone have any recipes to add or tips to share? I usually make the white wine doughnuts from the Bobov cookbook, but they always come out so "homemade" looking.

Last year I actually gave the recipe to a local baker who was making doughnuts for our big Menorah lighting, and he was looking for a parve recipe. Well, they came out NOTHING like mine! Rolling Eyes They were big and fluffy. When I asked him what he did, he said that he let them rise in a very warm place. Is that all? Does anyone make really good fluffy Sufganiot? What do you do?

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for a relatively easy recipe, since I need to make a few hundred!

SMG

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 10:16 am
Girliesmommy, what do you use to fry the donuts in? Mine used to look a lot worse until I got a deep fryer which I use annually for Chanukah.

girliesmommy

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 10:44 am
SMG wrote:
Girliesmommy, what do you use to fry the donuts in?

A deep fryer!
I was thinking of changing to a pot this year Confused

SMG

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 6:27 pm
Girliesmommy, isn't that funny? I guess each recipe and donut maker needs their own right equipment. Very Happy

Chanie

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 9:15 am
I used a recipe from the spice and spirt for a few years now. They are delicious. If they were less fattening I would make it more often then once a year.

girliesmommy

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 1:10 pm
Chanie wrote:
I used a recipe from the spice and spirt for a few years now. They are delicious. If they were less fattening I would make it more often then once a year.
which recipe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus