Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
ISO egg free Chanuka recipes

cheerios

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:48 pm
Anyone ever made donuts without eggs? How about latkes? Is there any egg substitute that you use? Which brand?

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 7:51 pm
I make these and they're AMAZING.

http://www.secretdonutrecipe.com/recipe1.html

I stuff them with caramel and cover them in vnailla glaze.

montrealmommy

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:27 pm
I posted an egg-free, pareve recipe in the Channuka section.

As for latkes - I make the same as my potato kugel - potatoes shredded in the food processor, onions: pureed in food processor, salt and pepper (and a pinch of sugar) - mixed together the dropped by the spoonful into hot oil. Let completely brown on one side, then flip and brown on other side. Let drain on brown paper. I prefer yallow or idaho potatoes as they get very soft and cooked through quickly.

These latkes also freeze well and reheat in the oven nicely. If you plan on frezzing them - make them a little thicker.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:31 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:

Mashed potatoes?? Really? And it tastes sweet? Seems like an odd flavor combo but maybe it's just me.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:34 pm
Fabulous wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:

Mashed potatoes?? Really? And it tastes sweet? Seems like an odd flavor combo but maybe it's just me.

Have you ever eaten potato bread? It's very sweet. Potatoes just add this wonderful tenderness to them.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 8:36 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
avigailmiriam wrote:

Have you ever eaten potato bread? It's very sweet. Potatoes just add this wonderful tenderness to them.

Ok, I guess you learn something new every day.

cheerios

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:16 pm
montrealmommy wrote:
As for latkes - I make the same as my potato kugel - potatoes shredded in the food processor, onions: pureed in food processor, salt and pepper (and a pinch of sugar) - mixed together the dropped by the spoonful into hot oil. Let completely brown on one side, then flip and brown on other side. Let drain on brown paper. I prefer yallow or idaho potatoes as they get very soft and cooked through quickly.

Do the latkes fall apart? (Isn't that the reason ppl. put eggs?) and how about your kugel? You can really make it w/o eggs?

btw, why do you put a pinch of sugar in them?

pacifier

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:37 pm
you can make doughnuts with a challa dough. flour, water, yeast.
when they are fried, you can roll them in sugar.
it's delicious!!!

HooRYou

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:11 am
I make latkese teh same way my mother, grandmother, great-grandmother etc do/did. I shread the potatoes and onions, add salt and pepper and a bit of flour and a pinch of baking powder. I don't ahve amounts since as my mother says you know you put in the right amount of lofur by the feel of the drag on your arm when you mix the batter. I was so happy my first Chanukah married when my latkes tasted just like my mom's.

montrealmommy

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 8:34 am
nope - they stick together just great! Eggs are a stretcher - IMO not nec. Kugel is fabulous - eggy ones are a little lighter, but this one tastes like potato are we like it better!

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:32 am
Sopaipillas
1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 c. cold water
oil for frying
powdered sugar or honey for coating
Mix first 5 ingredients. Knead until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Roll out on lightly floured board to 1/8" thick. Cut into 2" squares or oblongs. Heat about 1" of oil in a pot. Drop in sopaipillas, a few at a time. They will puff up quickly. Fry until light brown on both sides. Gently lift out and drain on paper. While still warm, put into a bag of powdered sugar and shake well or pour honey on top.

msym

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:55 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Sopaipillas
1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 c. cold water
oil for frying
Mix first 5 ingredients. Knead until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes. Roll out on lightly floured board to 1/8" thick. Cut into 2" squares or oblongs. Heat about 1" of oil in a pot. Drop in sopaipillas, a few at a time. They will puff up quickly. Fry until light brown on both sides. Gently lift out and drain on paper. While still warm, put into a bag of powdered sugar and shake well or pour honey on top.

can you please describe waht these are like?

Mom2girls

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 4:20 am
Hi
there's a company called energy - o
or s/t like that which makes lots of food for gluton free they also have a egg-replacer powder but
for latkes I think you should use apple sauce instead
(I'ver heard also of replacing egg with mashed banana for baking)
good luck!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 7:39 am
msym wrote:
yo'ma wrote:
Sopaipillas
1 3/4 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. shortening
2/3 c. cold water
oil for frying

can you please describe waht these are like?

Here's a picture and another recipe. It calls for the same things, just different amounts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics