Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Monograms and invites

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:42 am
How much do monograms usually cost? and how much for wedding invites?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:45 am
oh and I'm amother because I don't want to share any information even remotely personal.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:50 am
Well, Amother, since you can't tell us where you are, it's really difficult to help you. You see, invitations and monograms vary in price by location, and community standard. Our monogram was free...my SIL drew it.

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:23 am
Marion wrote:
Well, Amother, since you can't tell us where you are, it's really difficult to help you. You see, invitations and monograms vary in price by location, and community standard. Our monogram was free...my SIL drew it.

Most ppl I know have friends or family do their monograms.

SECRET

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:40 am
aren't monograms a little dated? today people just write the name of the barmitzva boy or the couple on the front cover or the invite. and the price of invites varies according to the card, printing style and amount etc. best to call a few local printers and get a few quotes

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:43 am
The woman who we bought our invitations from (in bp) sent us somewhere. He showed us a few looseleaves of stuff and then we discussed with him what we liked and he drew it up. I think it was part of the fee for invitations, not extra (she paid him if I'm not mistaken).

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:45 am
Everyone I know usually has a monogram, but the couple usually uses someone they know that'll do it for free. . . alas, that's why I rarely get a paid monogram job. I always do them for friends, free of charge.

In terms of the invitation design, most printshops do that for free as part of the printing costs.

bnm

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:30 pm
some print shops charge a set price including a monogram. others have different tiers-a standard monogram (a design which they just insert your letters, you can pick design and font) or completely custom made one, which someone actually draws a few versions by hand and after you ok it, they computerize it.

ss321

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 12:46 pm
SECRET wrote:
aren't monograms a little dated?

not in NY!! I think almost every wedding invitation Ive recieved has a monogram of some sort. Some embossed, some embossed in gold, some just copied and prited on, but usually a monogram...
Bar Mitzvah I guess its split. sometimes a monogram, sometimes a name, sometimes some sort of graphic representing that name (like for aryeh etc)

In terms of price, really really varies by location. Depends what you want. Basic invitation black on bright white paper? what quality paper? do you want raised ink or not? gold or silver monogram? how many envelopes? rsvp card in envelope? plain envelopes or decorated outer envelope (like gold lining to match a gold monogram)? Do you want the "tissue paper" insert to make it look elegant? Borders on the invitation itself?
Those are all the variations I can think of but again, really depends where you are. If youre not in NY, and are in a smaller out of town location, where hebrew something they do every day, they will probably charge you for the custom fonts and extra "time" and "effort' it takes to typeset that as well.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:56 pm
That totally depends--
One of my friends drew my wedding monogram for me. We just submitted it to the printer who scanned it and put it on the invitation and the benchers.

When my aunt and uncle got married 19 years ago they someone a few hundred dollars to make one really fancy--it happens to be the most clever and meaningful monogram I ever saw and a relative in the jewelry business had the monogram design made into a solid gold necklace charm for a wedding gift. It is exquisite!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers