Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Away for Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Are you going to a hotel for pesach this year?
Yes  
 4%  [ 3 ]
No - never go away for Pesach  
 89%  [ 61 ]
No - this year we arent going because of the economy  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 68

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:19 am
yo'ma wrote:
Am I the only one who doesn't know yet what we're doing?

Nope we don't either. I'm also due the week after Purim like YESHASettler.

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:22 am
I expect we'll be home. (Of course, that's what I said last year, but I'm really hoping we don't have a repeat of that!). The ILs are not going to be making seder this year, for anyone other than themselves, I wouldn't think, and going to my parents' is not exactly realistic.

I like the idea of starting our own seder traditions though. DS#1 will be 3 and will be able to start creating memories.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:01 am
avigailmiriam wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
In a hotel? with all the difficulty during yomtov, shabbes, not to mention finding a decent and decently prized kosher restaurant opened on Pessach??? I would hate it.

There are hotels that market to frum Jews during Pesach. The dining room is KLP, there are minyanim, shiurim, kids' activities and stuff. They tend to be all-inclusive resort type places.

do they have two types of food, kitnios and no kitnios?
How do they do for the seder, there are so many rites...

Marion

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 2:38 pm
Ruchel, at a hotel each family has its own table and runs its own seder. No ritual issues. If you need non-kitniyot, you choose a hotel that advertises that. Same for no gebrochts/shruya.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 2:40 pm
Marion wrote:
Ruchel, at a hotel each family has its own table and runs its own seder. No ritual issues. If you need non-kitniyot, you choose a hotel that advertises that. Same for no gebrochts/shruya.

Most hotels (at least in the states) are non kitniyos and usually non gebroktz too - to maximize the amount of people that can come.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 2:53 pm
Marion wrote:

No. At each hotel in Israel, there is a communal seder (also in the U.S. from what I remember when I was like 4 yo). If you want to have a family seder, in a separate room, it's extra. If you are at the communal seder, you sit with your family but there is a "leader" and it's generally too noisy to hear anything anyway. It's nearly impossible to have your own seder, when can can barely hear the person next to you, let alone across the table from you.
In Israel, it's probably 90% non kitniyot and 75% non gebroks. Just off the top of my head, from ads I've been seeing the past few years.

tovasmom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:03 pm
Home, as always, with a house full of company. Everyone has come to me every year (with the exception of one year) for the last 13 years (and my oldest dd is 14!). And they even all came the year that my ds was born 10 days before Pesach -- after I had a c-section! It was that year that I confirmed that people have no rachmanut! And of course I have no idea how to say no!

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:36 pm
I went to a hotel where there were mostly sefardim, but also ashkenazim. They had 2 seperate rooms and menus for each.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:37 pm
tovasmom wrote:
Home, as always, with a house full of company. Everyone has come to me every year (with the exception of one year) for the last 13 years (and my oldest dd is 14!). And they even all came the year that my ds was born 10 days before Pesach -- after I had a c-section! It was that year that I confirmed that people have no rachmanut! And of course I have no idea how to say no!

That's crazy. How did you manage? Cook and clean before? Help? WOW!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 3:58 pm
We've never gone anywhere for Pesach and have no desire to. I enjoy making Pesach right here.

tovasmom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:25 pm
Fabulous wrote:
tovasmom wrote:

My older sister saved my life that year. She came and cooked and helped with the end of the cleaning. My dh took time off and cleaned. It also helped that at that point, I only had 2 kids! It was a miracle that everything got done, and, as the cliche goes, we all sit down to the seder at the same time, and we did so that year. But believe me, the food was not gourmet that year -- chicken and potatoes, that was all. And that just had to be good enough!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:27 pm
tovasmom wrote:
Fabulous wrote:
tovasmom wrote:

My older sister saved my life that year. She came and cooked and helped with the end of the cleaning. My dh took time off and cleaned. It also helped that at that point, I only had 2 kids! It was a miracle that everything got done, and, as the cliche goes, we all sit down to the seder at the same time, and we did so that year. But believe me, the food was not gourmet that year -- chicken and potatoes, that was all. And that just had to be good enough!

wow! I have a hard time saying no too, but I would have said NOOOOOOOOOO!!

tovasmom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:33 pm
Took me a while to learn how to say no. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! There, I feel so much better!

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 4:36 pm
each year my mil offers to pay for all of us to go to a hotel. The first year we did that, and with a nursing child, I found it very isolating.

Last year we made our own pesach and had my mil over. It was a beautiful yom tov.

Lani22

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 5:20 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Marion wrote:

No. At each hotel in Israel, there is a communal seder (also in the U.S. from what I remember when I was like 4 yo). If you want to have a family seder, in a separate room, it's extra. If you are at the communal seder, you sit with your family but there is a "leader" and it's generally too noisy to hear anything anyway. It's nearly impossible to have your own seder, when can can barely hear the person next to you, let alone across the table from you.
In Israel, it's probably 90% non kitniyot and 75% non gebroks. Just off the top of my head, from ads I've been seeing the past few years.

In the US there are no more "leaders" at the seder. Every family had their own table in the dining room and conducts their own seder. I have been to some of the largest programs in the US and the dining rooms are not a free for all with ppl yelling and screaming and singing. Everyone is actually very respectful and you can certainly hear the person across the table from you. I have had pesach at home with my family for many years and at hotels. Honestly I found the seder experience to be very similar. The major difference is that my mother is relaxed and enjoying herself at the hotel rather then beyond worn out and harried at home.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 5:39 pm
I wish we could go away... seems so cool.. vacation.. everything catered.. not having to think about cooking etc.. yum food.. nice time with DH.... but I don't think it's in budget.. but I WISH we could...!!!!

I don't think we will go...

hannah95

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:50 pm
Ruchel

If you ever felt like going away for Pessah, we usually do Smile We go with an organized group with a strict non kitniyos and non gebroktz kosher Rav Rottenberg caterer, who changes places every hag : we went to the mountains (ski on Pessah, pretty fun), to Spain, Italy, Corsica ... You can choose for your sedarim : you're either on a large table with your family, in a private room or in the main dining room, or you can attend the sedarim hosted by the rabbi that travels with us. Their are chiourim to attend for men and women everyday, there is usually a pool with men hours and women hours. We usually have a very good time, and make great friends. During hol hamoed we visit the place we are in, do touristy things. The price might seem a little expensive, but if you add up everything you buy for food or household things during Pessah, it doesn't seem too pricey. The atmosphere is very good, lots of big families from all around France. The only weird thing is that you pack your hametz and search for it in your hotel room, but it's great to see every family going into their room with their candles and everythig Smile It's a great experience, and it can help take the pressure off our families to host a perfect Pessah, especially if you have sick/old relatives, or if you are newlywed and have no clue what to start with Smile

H.

Yakira

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 9:11 pm
No option for going to parents / ILs?
I'm guessing that's what we are doing. Irregardless of the economy. I don't think 2K is affordable even when the economy is booming.

So no vote for me (unless mom's place is considered a hotel)

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 10:54 am
hannah95 wrote:
Ruchel

If you ever felt like going away for Pessah, we usually do Smile We go with an organized group with a strict non kitniyos and non gebroktz kosher Rav Rottenberg caterer, who changes places every hag : we went to the mountains (ski on Pessah, pretty fun), to Spain, Italy, Corsica ... You can choose for your sedarim : you're either on a large table with your family, in a private room or in the main dining room, or you can attend the sedarim hosted by the rabbi that travels with us. Their are chiourim to attend for men and women everyday, there is usually a pool with men hours and women hours. We usually have a very good time, and make great friends. During hol hamoed we visit the place we are in, do touristy things. The price might seem a little expensive, but if you add up everything you buy for food or household things during Pessah, it doesn't seem too pricey. The atmosphere is very good, lots of big families from all around France. The only weird thing is that you pack your hametz and search for it in your hotel room, but it's great to see every family going into their room with their candles and everythig Smile It's a great experience, and it can help take the pressure off our families to host a perfect Pessah, especially if you have sick/old relatives, or if you are newlywed and have no clue what to start with Smile

H.

Interesting.
I may seem superficial, but how is the food? I grew up with no kitnios and I'm still recovering!

Also, who is the rabbi?
I'll pass the info to dh, because it sounds like a crowd he could like (his kollel is affiliated with pavée).

SECRET

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:47 pm
usually go to hotel for pesach with inlaws but luxurious as the resort is, its getting quite stressful to juggle the babys naps and younger kids routines with the hotels mealtimes schedules etc so this year I think id rather stay home and make pesach for the first time...am I crazy???????
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics