Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hair-cutting tips
1  2  Next

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:37 pm
I'm going to chop off my hair. any tips on how to make it look fairly good? I don't want to look too disheveled, but I don't have the time for a proper haircut.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:38 pm
Do you have to do it by yourself or can you get your husband or a friend to help?

And how long is your hair currently? How short do you want it?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:41 pm
I'm relying on myself to do this. it's fairly long now, I want it to be long enough to be easily covered, but no longer. considering how often my kids hide my hairbrush, I'd prefer not to have to deal with it much. I'd even consider a short bob if I could do it easily enough.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:43 pm
I have a jaw-length bob and I'm growing it out. I'd suggest a few inches longer, so that you can still tie it back in a ponytail.

What you'll want to do is put your hair is a loose pony. Make sure the tie is a couple inches below where you want your hair length to ultimately end up.

Cut off the pony and loosen your hair. You'll need to trim everything to make it even; the front will be longer than the back.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:46 pm
so you don't like the chin-length bob? is it really harder to cover? I'd guess a couple of bobby pins to hold the front hair back and you're good to go. I'd appreciate hearing pros and cons, I haven't had short hair since high school.

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 8:56 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
so you don't like the chin-length bob? is it really harder to cover? I'd guess a couple of bobby pins to hold the front hair back and you're good to go. I'd appreciate hearing pros and cons, I haven't had short hair since high school.

I find it annoying because I can't quite gather everything in a ponytail, so sometimes bits will manage to slip out from under my tichel/hat. If I would remember to use bobby pins to deal with the extra hair more often, it would be fine.

The bob is great for drying times, and it always looks cute, even after a day crammed under a scarf, which I think is a plus. I'm mostly growing it longer because dh and I like it better that way.

If you cut your hair just a half inch longer than chin-length, it should all stay in a pony on its own.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:08 pm
thanks, I appreciate the feedback. decision time...

greenfire

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 9:52 pm
lift the top of your hair from the crown - right side to left side upward - then cut at an angle this will layer the top ...

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 7:49 pm
greeny, all the hair or some? still haven't chopped...

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:23 pm
okay take your hair and part in the middle ... cut right side going slightly downward from front to back and then do the same to left side ... then part your hair only on the crown to make a square from right side of forehead back - left side of forehead back and meet them together with a part as well ... put the rest of the hair in a pony away from that ... now take that comb it upwards and cut across at an angle as well ...

if you understand this ... you now have a layered haircut ... What

if you don't I tried ...

good luck !!!

I do this all the time ... with a sharp hair cutting scissors ... use a comb to guide it

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:30 pm
thanks, green.

I understand, I think.

this looks easier, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF6quAXI0gM

what do you think?

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:52 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

what do you think?

I think you should go ahead and just do it! If I lived closer to you, I'd come over now and do it for you!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 8:55 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
mummiedearest wrote:

what do you think?

I think you should go ahead and just do it! If I lived closer to you, I'd come over now and do it for you!

hey, this is my hair we're talking about! I have a close relationship with my hair. it's a tough decision, ok? and I want it to look good for a change.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 25 2008, 9:06 pm
hm ... never would think to do it that way ...

good luck whatever you choose ... while hair grows back - you most certainly want to feel pretty ...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 5:56 pm
ok, so I cut two inches last night, and it looks great. but I wanted to cut more, so I'll be cutting it again tonight. I wanted to experiment before fully chopping.

thanks everyone!

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 5:58 pm
is it gonna be straight across or layered ...

don't get snip happy now ... be careful ...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 6:01 pm
layered. don't worry, no scissor happiness here Smile

btw, I see your point about a haircutting scissor. I think I'll get one.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 6:08 pm
kool ...
about the scissors right tool for right job ... makes the job easier ...

ShakleeMom

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 6:09 pm
First figure out how you want your hair styled under your headcovering. With that in mind, cut it as short as you can with that preferred style. The most common style under a sheietel which I see a lot is all the hair in a ponytail with a pin, pinned up to flatten it under the wig. Using that concept, trim the hairs right after the pin.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 6:13 pm
so you're saying don't style your hair ... cut it straight so you can put it up under the sheitel ... now what FUN would that be ... none Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics