Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
White shirts, whose idea was it?

zigi

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 12:04 am
why do men and boys have to wear white shirts? every day another shirt is stained! Twisted Evil ugh! boruch hashem its winter my husband can wear a sweater. but I have to buy new shirts again, also why do they have to be button down I hate ironing, my husband said he will do it.... well its a good thing that its winter, sweaters save the day!

Tefila

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 12:08 am
Quote:
but I have to buy new shirts again,

Dye the old a diff color like grey, blue etc. Thats what I have done with great results Tongue Out Tongue Out clothes dye is sold where most laundry supplies are. And just dump powder into machine follow easy instructions and voila a new shirt not white though Confused
No harm to machine or future washes Wink

zigi

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 12:17 am
good idea! thanks Thumbs Up do laundromats let you do it in their machines? I wonder, could it be done without a machine?

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 12:56 am
zigi wrote:
white shirts, whose idea was it?!

Twisted Evil I take FULL responsibility! LOL

chavamom

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 1:30 am
One word. Bleach.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 10:52 am
Tide With Bleach gets my light colors and whites spotlessly clean. I put in two scoops and run a pre-soak cycle on hot water. Any other detergent doesn't do the trick.

SMG

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 10:54 am
I like the Clorox bleach pens. They are concentrated bleach gel and they work really well for the spots and ring around the collar kind of stuff. That and some liquid bleach in the load work pretty well.

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 10:58 am
zigi wrote:
why do men and boys have to wear white shirts?

Woa, who said they HAVE TO? Smile Sorry, just trying to cause a little trouble. DH has always gone to white shirt only yeshivos and has always been the ONLY (or, one of the few) to wear colored shirts anyway! He always looks like a mench (nice black slacks, with muted colored shirts). But white is for Shabbos.

raizy

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 10:42 pm
it wont work going in color if the whole wide world is wearing "white"

my trick is everytime we have to go out of town or vist his mother . I send all the shirts to the cleaners. so they are white looking and ironed. otherwise forget it. I dont iron.

and the whiteness keeps for a few weeks . the shirt looks good.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jan 13 2006, 8:45 am
We have hard water and I've found when we get hard water buildup on the washer I simply cannot get the white shirts clean - they are dingy gray. So I have to strip the washer every couple of months and voila white shirts again. (This doesn't help with wine stains from shabbos Rolling Eyes that's what the bleach pen is for.)

zigi

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 11:53 pm
MMEC123 your right but colored shirts also have to be ironed! one day I will definately try tide with bleach my dh also says its good for tzitzis, and a bleach pen and bleach and a big bib and hopefully everything will get clean! thanks for the tips! I finally got around to ironing some of them!

MMEC123

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 3:45 pm
zigi wrote:
MMEC123 your right but colored shirts also have to be ironed!
With colored or white shirts- I forgot the percentage, but if it's part cotton, part something else (maybe polyester?) or the "wrinkle free" kind, you just hang them to dry- no ironing necessary. I have never once had to iron DH's shirts and they are perfectly wrinkle free!

zigi

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 12:56 am
wow! thanks for the info I can't wait to try it! so guess that it wouldn't matter if I do laundry when it rains! I guess I won't have any excusses not to go to the laudromat

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 1:10 am
BTW, I heard that shampoo can get rid of the "ring around the collar."

alex

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 1:47 pm
There are always cleaners for extra hard shorts

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Feb 07 2006, 2:13 pm
I get the JC Penney wrinkle free, they cost more but always look perfect.

For my daughter, I soak them overnight - plain warm water and the detergent I would use anyway. I don't necessarily even pretreat.

bli ayin horah, it works!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry