Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
It's beginning to look a lot like...
1  2  Next

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 8:39 am
Chanukah!

The first tray of Sufganiyot have been spotted this week and from now until about 3 days after Chanukah, these crispy on the outside, chewy and gooey on the inside delights are available.

My sweet tooth LOVES this time of year. My waistline less so.

The standard jelly donut will be found everywhere. At some of the better bakeries you'll even get chocolate frosted (with or without sprinkles) with vanilla custard. Others still will have Ribat Chalav (dulce la leche aka caramel/butterscotch custard) and I've even seen in past years chocolate custard...

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson... mmmmmmmmm.... doooooooooonuuuuuuuuts.

bubby

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 8:43 am
And just today I promised to start a diet!! Exploding anger

Last night, on Kings Highway in Brooklyn, I saw some (unlit) holiday display draped across the street. There was a Menorah on it! I couldn't believe my eyes. Is it left over from last year?

Dini

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 8:48 am
Well here in Boro Park Weiss's bakery doesn't make their donuts until Rosh Chodesh Kislev and then you have to be there at the right time. I am glad about that, I am trying to lose weight. But come to think of it, on the last day of Yom Tov my 5 year old told me, 'ok so next is chanukah then Purim etc. lol

Tova

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:47 pm
YESHA, those look delicious! My mouth is watering.

But, what about caramel ones? My first caramel doughnut I ever had was from a bakery in Geulah when I was in seminary.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:55 pm
Caramel ones are great. I had one just last week. But chocolate (gooey real choc flavor - not that fake flavor s#!&) is absolutely the best.

supermama2

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 3:58 pm
I have to say...my homemade ones look just a good...not to toot my own horn though lol Yesha is the 3.99 in shekel? so like one dollar and 50 cents a piece or what's the cost per.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:00 pm
When we lived in EY after we were married we lived above Uri's Pizza Shop. You can imagine how many times we ran up and down getting doughnuts for that month!!!! Atleast running up and down 72 steps a day did something to help!

mandksima

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:03 pm
RivkiA wrote:
When we lived in EY after we were married we lived above Uri's Pizza Shop. You can imagine how many times we ran up and down getting doughnuts for that month!!!! Atleast running up and down 72 steps a day did something to help!

72 steps probably covered the filling's calories. Nice try.

Now, how often did you eat pizza?

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:06 pm
You mean that place in Geulah where you have to go downstairs to eat a 8 shekel a slice generic pizza (I love them) and where men have their own space?

Last edited by Chocoholic on Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

babygirl

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:07 pm
thats really cool how did you find that apt?

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:07 pm
mandksima wrote:
RivkiA wrote:

72 steps probably covered the filling's calories. Nice try.

Now, how often did you eat pizza?

We actually didnt like their pizza so we wud walk up to pizza jerusalem so atleast it was a lil bit of a walk!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:08 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
You mean that place in Geulah where you have to go downstairs to eat a 8 shekel a slice generic pizza (I love them) and where men have their own space?

yea, uri's

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:09 pm
lachmagene wrote:
thats really cool how did you find that apt?

in thte israeli circular thingies.

dont worry, we got totally gyped.

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:09 pm
RivkiA wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

yea, uri's

I used to go their so often when I was in sem.. oh those days!

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:11 pm
Tova wrote:
YESHA, those look delicious! My mouth is watering.

But, what about caramel ones? My first caramel doughnut I ever had was from a bakery in Geulah when I was in seminary.

Tova, I hate to break it to ya, but so far, they look better than they taste.

Well, that's not totally true.. the donut itself is AMAZING... but see that dab of jelly on top? That's about all the jelly these donuts ever get...

And as of now, you have a choice of with a swish of jelly or without. I'm not holding my breath that this place will get much better or branch out to custard and caramel so...

I suppose it is my duty to hunt down better Sufganiyot...

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:11 pm
Yum! Jelly donuts!!!!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:25 pm
Yaaleh has pretty good doughnuts.

HAHA! I just remebered
when we were married we was walking on malchei yisrael and a cab drove onto the side walk and actually bumped into me!

I yelled at him and he just waved me away and walked into yaaleh but when he got backi was still standing there (we happened to b waiting there) and he said (in hebrew) that it was chanukah and he offered me a diughnut as a peace offering!

I miss israel!!!!

supermama2

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:28 pm
Yesha, how much do those donuts cost?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:30 pm
4NIS each... little over a dollar.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Oct 29 2008, 4:34 pm
only 4 shek? I thought they used to be like 7, no?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics