Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Alternative menu for Shabbos day
1  2  Next

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 8:50 pm
My daughter and I eat the fish course in Shul on Shabbos day, and usually my husband does, too.

We decided a year ago not to make cholent anymore at home; b/c it bothers DH's stomach so much.

So - we come home and wash for challah, eat the salad from Friday night, whatever dips if we made or bought any, serve the kugel from Friday night, and a meat roll/knish, plus dessert if there is any.

Now, DH says his stomach is starting to bother him again......

Salad is salad. Not much to change there. We can skip the dips, kugel, and dessert, but challah and salad is not much of a seudah.

He doesn't want to go back to cholent, doesn't want to go meatloaf, and cold chicken is not appealing to him. I can put shnitzel on the blech but it tends to dry out.

Please help - what to do........what to do........what to do........

red sea

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 9:01 pm
what about chicken salad or dice up chicken and toss in salad.

mother48

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 9:36 pm
don't know if it would be good for stomach, but cold cut wraps are always fun and tasty, or a big cold cut salad.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 9:41 pm
egg salad
chopped liver
unless you davka want something hot?
what about a different type of cholent? you can make it without beans. even without barley, if that bothers him.

leahj

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 10:57 pm
Not to want to alarm you, but when my stomach started bothering me,
then get better, then bother me, it turned out I had galstones. Maybe he should get checked out with a physician to make sure there is not some other problem.

stem

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 11:41 pm
You could make all kinds of soups in a crockpot to eat for lunch.

deedee

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 12:48 am
pea soup is a yummy one. if its the beans that bother him u can make a delish beef and veggie stew in the crock pot.

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 1:33 am
Deedee you mentioned pea soup, any easy cholent recipes would be appreciated?
For the first time in I dont know how long, I decided to not make cholent this shabbos and make soup, chicken, veg soup, was nice for a change.

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 1:34 am
Deedee infact if you have a stew recipe with no beans would love that too if possible?

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:17 am
I have an easy cholent recipe

brown sugar or honey about a tablespoon with oil. Saute onions and meat together until the meat browns. Add your potatoes and about a cup or a cup and half depends how much your making of barley to the mixture. I then add salt, pepper, dash of nutmeg, dash of cloves, tablespoon of paparika, and a tablespoon of ketchup I usually use the spicy ketchup but it doesn't really give it a tang Rolling Eyes, and mix them all in and then add water to cover cook for about an hour and half to two hours.

then I do kishke to put on top

two cups of flour, two onions diced, one tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, tablespoon of paprika, mix all together and then add one cup of oil shape in to a loaf. Wrap it in tin foil or better yet baking paper and put on top of cholent before shabbos and enjoy always comes out good and never tastes the same Rolling Eyes

red sea

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 1:20 pm
if cholent bothers you can substitue rice for barley ( you can add a bit extra, use brown or wild rice not white ) and skip the beans. Do not use oil or fatty meat either, use something lean.

RivkaS

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 1:24 pm
so, if everything bothers him, what does he eat during the week? has he seen a doctor?

red sea

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 1:29 pm
Sara G the siver lining :If fatty, greasy, typical shabbos dishes bother a person - the stuff is complete garbage devoid of all nutritional value, at least your dh eats healthy - hey - it'll benefit you and your kid in the long run.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 2:55 pm
When my teenage son is home, he like to daven really late, so he never eats in shul. Therefore, I serve both course Shabbos day when he's home. He also likes the soup Friday night, so I make it then. And of course Pesach time I serve everything - including cholent.

As far as Shabbos day right now....I don't want to serve anything mayonaisey like eggsalad (which we anyway eat in shul) or chicken salad. It's too fattening and too much like weekday foor in my opinion.

Anyway, I manicure my nails right beofre Shabos and I am in shul on Shabbos day, so I don't want to be patcheking in the morning.

I do have friends who cook much more for Shabbos, they steam veggies and eat cold rice and all sorts of things which don't appeal to me, not only do I have to keep off these 20 lbs that I lost, I work full time and don't have the time to cook like they do.

But we all do have to eat, and it has to be good and special, and not kill us in the process!!! so that's the problem.....

I guess I could go soup, I don't really have the electricity to keep the blech on in the summer though.

Haven't had good luck with rice in the cholent,it get stickey, and anyway, cholent for 3 is hard to make. We are so fussy with what we'd eat in it......I think the only thing we cn agree on is the potatoes!

Chopped liver isn't a bad idea; I'd have to send someone to buy it though...and I'm not sure it's healthy to eat every single week..

DH does have irritable bowel symdrome, though, and DD has some stomach trouble too.....

Thank you all for trying, I really appreciate it!

DefyGravity

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:37 pm
On shabbos day I usually serve:
soup
deli roll
shnitzel
assorted salads and kugel

If you want an alternative to cholent, make taco meat in the crock pot and serve tacos on shabbos day. I dislike cholent, and find this to be a much more appreciated alternative.

You can have a mexican them with rice and refried beans, pareve sour cream, taco salad. I do this often and it's ALWAYS well received.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:51 pm
Defy, are the kugels and shnitzel cold? How do you keep the shnitzel from geting dry on the blech (if it's not cold)? Thanks.

deedee

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 9:34 am
LubavitchLeah wrote:
Deedee infact if you have a stew recipe with no beans would love that too if possible?

its not much of a recipe...throw meat chunks, cut up celery, potatoes,carrots into the crock pot. add water and ur own seasoning, salt, garlic, peper tamari (soy) sauce.
I dont have a specific pea soup recipe I guess u can use any one from a cook book, I just know that my mother makes it instead of choluent sometimes and its really good!

tport

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 2:38 pm
Here's a great stew (my mother makes it erev Pesach so there's something to eat). Cut carrots, onion, and potatoes into chunks. Add stew meat, water, and tomato sauce, and cook. You can saute onions and add if you want. It is delicious!

Chicken soup in a crockpot overnight is also good. If you have kneidlach it makes it more filling. Put in more chicken and serve that seperately.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 2:39 pm
SaraG wrote:
Defy, are the kugels and shnitzel cold? How do you keep the shnitzel from geting dry on the blech (if it's not cold)? Thanks.

I use one of those plug in warmers from Israel and since it's so hot, I never leave anything directly on it, I always place a foil pan on top, that way the food gets hot, but doesn't overdry.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 18 2006, 8:04 pm
May I suggest an idea for keeping Shnitzel on the blech without it getting dried out?

Firstly put it into a foil container with some nice sauce.

Secondly, put another larger foil container under the foil container that contains the shnitzel and fill that up with WATER.
Then your shnitzel will be delicous.

Make sure that you fill enough water in the foil container as majority or almost all of the water will eventually get dried out and NOT the shnitzel!

Caterers use this method for serving kugels in top notch, for morning simchas.

Try it and let me know !!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus