Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Eating before the fast
1  2  Next

Chanie

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 11:36 am
Anyone have any advice on foods to help you through the fast? A meal plan for before and after would be greatly appreciated. Confused
Thanks

Henya

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 12:41 pm
I once heard that 24 hours before a fast you should continuously drink lots of water. It's supposed to help you fast on the fast day.

Yael

Post Mon, Jul 26 2004, 9:10 pm
I know that the fast already started but for next time, this is what I do:
eat alot for lunch. especially high protein food b/c they have more lasting energy.
DONT eat vegetables! they fill you up and are gone in an hour or two.
focus mostly on eating protein like salmon, and the egg at the end is good for filling up that last bit of space.
also eat complex carbs like bread and rice.
soup is good for after you eat supper to fill you up again. put lentils or beans or split peas in the soup for protien.
and drink lots of water like henya said durng the day. but not too much the last hour or else you'll be so bloated with water you wont have space for food. and you'll be very uncomfortable for the first couple of hours after the fast starts.

Chanie

Post Tue, Jul 27 2004, 2:39 pm
Thanks for your advice, I actually made those things without knowing the benefit. We had fish for supper with a soup with lentils and barley in it. Plus bread (carb?). Well it's already 2:30 and so far I'm doing alright. Weak, dizzy, but what should I expect fasting during pregnancy.
Atleast I haven't had to run after my boy today. My husband took care of him in the morning, and when he awoke from his nap I gave him lunch, let him watch a video and then took him over to my mother-in-laws house... So now I'm free to lay down and get back a bit of energy.
Have the rest of the fast easy.

supermom

Post Tue, Jul 27 2004, 3:25 pm
The fast is surely over for me and just starting out by you, but my mother in law she is a natural remedy expert she always tells us to drink a lot of licorice tea the whole day. This just helps the thirst it suppose to retain water. Try it for the next fast this way in the heat you don't feel the urge to drink. I have no suggestions about food sorry!!

Chanie

Post Wed, Jul 28 2004, 11:33 am
Thanks a lot for all your advice. The fast actually didn't go as bad as I inticipated. Although I spent most of it in bed not moving, thanks to the all the help I got with my son.
Now I have 2 months to worry about Yom Kippur, and by then I'll be at the end of my 8th month so I guess it'll be different.

chana

Post Sun, Aug 22 2004, 8:43 pm
First of all, the shulchan aruch says not to eat fish during the last meal before a fast- before 9 av, it does not state a reason and before yom kippur it is explains that it is because it causes one to be thirsty.
Secondly, our trick is to always eat pasta- carbs are broken down slowly and stored in your body and turn into energy when your body needs it. I read on the internet how athletes always eat carbs the day before races... to have the extra energy. Protein is healthy but it is good for muscles, etc... Beans though are also known to keep you full for a while. About drinking, I'm not sure if it really helps to drink so much in advance since the more you drink the more you're running to the washroom- there's only a certain amount of liquid you can store in your body and the rest just floods out....

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 23 2004, 9:25 am
with me carbs like pasta make me hungry a half an hour later so that wont help me at all. I am starving like I never ate anything. it fills me up right away and then I am so hungry after.

queen

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 9:50 am
this thread has almost reached its first birthday.... Very Happy however I'm bringing it up to the front as it has beneficial advice for this time of year.

regarding drinking of water- drink, drink..... drink.
don't wait until the day before the fast to begin filling up with H2O. make it a week long campaign. You'll see how differently you'll fast.

(chana- regardless of having to run to the bathroom often when drinking, you'll still reap the benefits during the actual fast from your body being filled with fluids adequately.)

lucky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 10:35 am
I also make sure to take vitamins the days before the fast. Eating and drinking the days before affect how well I fast.

mommy2

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 11:06 am
queen its good u pointed out this thread was reaching its first b-day cuz some posts were rather surprising? LOL

RedVines

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 11:23 am
Thanks for reviving this, I actually went off coffee this past week to help me bec. I get such terrible headaches w/o it. So if that helps anyone I suggest to cut the caffeine now and it will help for the fast!

lucky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 12:05 pm
And if u do get a headache there's tylenol suppositories.

RedVines

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 2:10 pm
yea I just cant get myself to do that?

miriam

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 2:10 pm
I have never heard of them.

lucky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 3:21 pm
mommyoftwo wrote:
yea I just cant get myself to do that?

I used it Once. I had a splitting headache. It really worked and the rest of the fast was easy.

lucky

Post Fri, Aug 05 2005, 3:26 pm
miriam wrote:
I have never heard of them.

You should be able to get them in the pharmacy. For someone who suffers from headaches frequently, It is very good to have it. I know that some pharmacists also make suppositories that have caffeine. (for some people it is dangerous to be w/o it cause they r so addicted.) Alo I know s/o who was taking medicine for vertigo(dizziness) She had a pharmacist make suppositories from it. Since then she fasts much better.

1stimer

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 4:05 pm
Does anyone have any tips for fasting without coffee. I am an absolute wreck before my morning coffee. My dh isn't a good faster either, so I'm wondering how I will manage my ds.

technic

Post Sat, Aug 06 2005, 6:23 pm
1stimer cut down on coffee over this wk so ur body gets more used 2 being w/out it....also ive heard that theres sthing u can get in israel that helps u fast more easily - anyone know what on earth im talking abt cos I dont!!!

queenie

Post Sun, Aug 07 2005, 12:53 am
Once on Pesach I came down with a bad gastro. That's when I discovered adult size gravol suppostitories. They work and much faster than oral meds.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note