Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
It’s been a long day…

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:48 pm
Can I vent here for a minute? Yes, I know, these are small things not big things. But I’m wiped! I just need to get it out!

DD10 had ADHD. Tonight was just sooo much impulsivity and executive dysfunction and everything, that I could barely hold it together! She is under the weather so I’m assuming that contributed… but this magnified her ADHD to a significant degree!

I took her home from school early because she wasn’t feeling great. At home she immediately perked up bH. But she was out of control! Some fun we had today:

She was having blueberries while reading a book by the table. I literally watched her throw a handful over her shoulder. While still reading. Without even checking to see where they rolled or if they landed.

She used (my) nail polish to write her name on the wall of her room.

She made dry erase marker dots all over her hands.

She pulled the stuffing out of a homemade project pillow and left it all over the floor.

She squeezed aloe all over her dresser.

She repeatedly bothered her siblings and started fights by making sweeping statements like “I’m never going to play with you again” and “I hate you”.

Lots of attitude responses to me and dh. “I can see, I have eyes!” “Suuuuuurrrreeee” etc.

She took Advil at one point for her headache, and even with repeated reminders from me to close the bottle (safety wise, I have a very active toddler at home who would try to get an eat them), it was left open in arm’s reach.

And the lost can continue on and on. She literally was a tornado tonight. Much worse than usual. I’m attributing it to her cold/health, but it was a lot!!! And keep in mind, this is with meds which usually help her control her impulses. I’m totally wiped and still tense from today.

Ok. Vent over. Thanks for listening. BH for bedtime 😅

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:13 pm
Sounds like my kid!!! Hang in there sista

amother
Clematis

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:18 pm
My ADHD kid is starting to look like a dream. He only can't focus and gets in trouble at school and fights all day 🙂

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:19 pm
If symptoms typically worsen with illness, you may want to consider that brain inflammation is at play.

Chana11

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:20 pm
Hashem should give you koach and seichel to get through this. Daven. tefilla always helps.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:33 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
If symptoms typically worsen with illness, you may want to consider that brain inflammation is at play.

This has never happened before! Usually with illness her emotional regulation disappears, not sure what to make of today! She always has the hyperactive impulsivity going on, but this was much worse than usual, even when sick in the past.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:36 pm
Thanks everyone for listening! It helped to get it out! Honestly, because it’s imamother, I expected to get some backlash. Something like “well be glad u have a family!” Or “we don’t have enough money for nail polish!” So thank you all for keeping this supportive Smile

And another clematis, you made me smile!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:42 pm
I know it seems like you're stuck, but I'm telling you, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep up the good work and one day iyh she'll become a healthy, stable adult.

I'm sorry about your day today, it really sucks. Your vent sounds like my typical weekend.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:51 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
I know it seems like you're stuck, but I'm telling you, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep up the good work and one day iyh she'll become a healthy, stable adult.

I'm sorry about your day today, it really sucks. Your vent sounds like my typical weekend.

I keep telling myself that! I really think she will be a very successful adult, she has so many incredible qualities! Just parenting her is a whirlwind…

amother
Banana

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:53 pm
Op, are you sure you're not me???

My kids would so do all of that or a different version of it.
She's also on meds. Meds help but she gained like 25-30 lbs this past 9 months and hit puberty HARD. I think she needs her dosage increased.

I've been known to say, "luckily I shave cuz if not I'd just pull my hair out in clumps and be left with nothing. At least I have a buzz"

Def look into the brain inflammation part. I know it's a big piece in my daughters struggles. But now that she it puberty I actually see that although her executive functioning is still poor and her attention span not great. Her impulse control has improved bh!
Also, as soon as I see her getting sick, I right away start her one round thr clock aleve until at least 2 days after she's all better. Works amazing to keep her from regressing/flaring.
We did a ton of healing over the last 6 years and the difference is night and day. At some point I thought she won't be able to go to a mainstream school. But bh she's pushing thru. She's actually pretty bright but doesn't do well in a regular school model in the academic department.
Like she'll know her work but score poorly on her tests, unless her teacher will verbally ask her the questions. Then she'll score A+! She doesn't have reading issues. But has a hard time staying focused on the paper so will only get to answer a few questions. When addressed directly verbally she's able to answer correctly.

She loves riling up her siblings. Just squeeking into one siblings ears and brushing up hard against another. And throwing a 3rds prized toy down the stairs.... or taking stuff from a 4th and hiding it just to get a reaction.

And then she's the sweetest kid. Will prepare a warm 3 course lunch for everyone and set the table down to the salt and pepper....
Or let me sleep in on shabbos and feed her younger siblings even changed the babies nappy....

And 30 minutes I hear shreiks. She punched her sister. Or locked her brother out of the playroom... Banging head At wits end

amother
Banana

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I keep telling myself that! I really think she will be a very successful adult, she has so many incredible qualities! Just parenting her is a whirlwind…

Same!!!
I often wonder what storm she'll create as an adult. My parent, husband and inlaws with adhd, men and woman are powerhouses! Pioneers in the community. Well respected for good reason. And always family first (shat really matters!) Truly one of a kind. Loud and proud and what to show!
One day. One day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics