Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much will I need to save? (Furniture)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 5:51 pm
I just moved into our forever home, I hope, and it's time to buy real furniture. We have some money set aside for this and will probably need to save more.
Right now we have a bunch of second hand mismatched worn stuff.
Can you help me with numbers?
We like practical classic things. I understand a Jewish store is probably best for furniture that will withstand our lifestyle. If you have stores to recommend (lower end budget wise) in Brooklyn Id appreciate it.
How much would be a sectional sofa?
How much would be a wood table 10-12 ft extendable?
How much would be bookcases?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:02 pm
if you're in a budget but looking for new:
table- about 3-4k
chairs- range 500-3k
sectional- 3k
buffet- 3k

so around 10k but don't forget rugs and wall art...
pm me for specific questions

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:16 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
table- about 3-4k
chairs- range 500-3k
sectional- 3k
buffet- 3k

These aren’t current prices afaik. None of the stores I went to had sectionals for less than 5k.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:18 pm
would u shop online?

amother
Jean

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:19 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
These aren’t current prices afaik. None of the stores I went to had sectionals for less than 5k.

I got one from Churchill a few months ago for 3k

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:20 pm
These numbers are insane. Do people really spend this on furniture? Is the quality at Jewish stores actually different? Most of the stuff I see looks exactly the same as stuff you buy online from cheap stores.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:21 pm
I would agree. I spent those prices at Katz’s on the LES back in the late 90’s, when I bought a human hair shaital for $300.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:23 pm
I got a sectional at Costco for $1500 that is fully returnable at any time (they told me this!) if I am not happy for any reason. Obviously I would only make use of that return policy for food reason.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:26 pm
there is a big range for furniture prices. if you shop around you can get beautiful things for less. if u don't want to shop around and want to buy everything in one day in the same Jewish store then yes, you will need to save lots and lots

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:30 pm
Furniture that doesn't move or have people go on it can be bought lower end pricing. So dining table, buffet, end/coffee table. But if you do go for cheaper tables, take one with 4 legs as opposed to a center pedestal, so it's sturdier.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:32 pm
fuschia, she wants a big table, I recommend pedastal for that, not 4 legs, the center can sink in

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
would u shop online?

I would if it was reputable.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:55 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
fuschia, she wants a big table, I recommend pedastal for that, not 4 legs, the center can sink in

This is exactly what my sister said. I think davka a table that kind of size needs to be a Jewish store. Do you know of how much they cost? Any store you'd recommend?

amother
Peru

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:55 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

I just bought a sectional, Italian leather and it was a little over 5k... and they had a few 1000 cheaper if you were willing to do vinyl.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 6:56 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
table- about 3-4k
chairs- range 500-3k
sectional- 3k
buffet- 3k

These prices sound ok. Do you have a store to recommend that has these ranges?

csa123

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:22 pm
My sectional I bought a few months ago was $2,500 - the Macy's Radley. Online they only have a few colors but in the store they have over 100 fabric options at no extra charge. It also has a ton of different configurations so you can make it fit your space. It's super comfortable and I bought the warranty for an extra $400 which covers all damage (including kids ripping it, throwing up on it) and if we don't use the warranty the $400 goes back on a Macy's gift card. Really recommend this couch

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:29 pm
OP- a table that size in jewish store is about 3500. I didnt buy from a jewish store

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:34 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
These numbers are insane. Do people really spend this on furniture? Is the quality at Jewish stores actually different? Most of the stuff I see looks exactly the same as stuff you buy online from cheap stores.

Jewish stores are all Chinese. And most stores will not stand behind their products. Couches and chairs there is no need to buy "jewish".hard to find really big table so frum store better. For Bookcases frum may also be way to go if want to custom make high.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
OP- a table that size in jewish store is about 3500. I didnt buy from a jewish store

Where did you buy? How much was it? For what size?.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 7:39 pm
csa123 wrote:
My sectional I bought a few months ago was $2,500 - the Macy's Radley. Online they only have a few colors but in the store they have over 100 fabric options at no extra charge. It also has a ton of different configurations so you can make it fit your space. It's super comfortable and I bought the warranty for an extra $400 which covers all damage (including kids ripping it, throwing up on it) and if we don't use the warranty the $400 goes back on a Macy's gift card. Really recommend this couch

Sounds amazing!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics