Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries
After a beautiful day, when are you switching to skin colour
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 1:23 pm
Have you switched yet? If not, when do you plan on changing from black to skin colour?
Today's warm day took me by surprise so I'm still in black.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 1:55 pm
For now only wearing skin colour for shabbos. Will probably switch fully by the end of May

s1

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 2:31 pm
Did you never learn Hilchos Tights in school or sem?
The Halacha clearly states that when one only wears black tights as long as one is saying Mashiv Haruach, I.e., from Shmini Atzeres until 1st day pesach.
Bedieved, over Sukkos and Pesach one may wear either.
Bshaas Hadchak, (if the Met Office have declared an official Heat Wave or in case of a Named Storm, or if there are no clean tights in one's drawer), one may wear the tights not of that season, however one should be aware that they may get Stares or Odd Looks from Family, Neighbours, Friends and Colleagues.
There is, however, a machlokes about a leap year, ask you LOR(ebbetzen) for more details.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 2:33 pm
s1 wrote:
The Halacha clearly states that when one only wears black tights as long as one is saying Mashiv Haruach, I.e., from Shmini Atzeres until 1st day pesach.
Bshaas Hadchak, (if the Met Office have declared an official Heat Wave or in case of a Named Storm, or if there are no clean tights in one's drawer), one may wear the tights not of that season, however one should be aware that they may get Stares or Odd Looks from Family, Neighbours, Friends and Colleagues.
There is, however, a machlokes about a leap year, ask you LOR(ebbetzen) for more details.

LOL good one.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:25 pm
I hate skin colour.

Number 1 I need to shave,
No 2 my legs are fat and look so much better in black
No 3 they are super uncomfortable , tear in a minute and make all my skirts look shorter,
And then I need to change my shoes to ones that go with skin.
Ugh
Exhausting.

Plus I just saw a 9 year old wearing my summer white sneakers.

Anyone else feel the same?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Purple wrote:
I hate skin colour.

Number 1 I need to shave,
No 2 my legs are fat and look so much better in black
No 3 they are super uncomfortable , tear in a minute and make all my skirts look shorter,
And then I need to change my shoes to ones that go with skin.
Ugh
Exhausting.

Plus I just saw a 9 year old wearing my summer white sneakers.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yes, I definitely relate! My 8 year old neighbour is already wearing skin colour tights 😮

Ruchi

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:31 pm
s1 wrote:

Yeps, with all respect I did and was taught it's ossur to wear tights that are skin colour or can be mistaken for being the skin.

s1

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:36 pm
Ruchi wrote:
Yeps, with all respect I did and was taught it's ossur to wear tights that are skin colour or can be mistaken for being the skin.

Aha so if you follow that, you never have this most troublesome Shayla of When To Change! LOL

Just thinking this could go in that list of things that we say all the time that sounds completely bonkers to non-jews..... "have you changed tights yet?" ... although we have explained the halachos briefly twice a couple of non Jews in work LOL

Ruchi

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:45 pm
s1 wrote:
Aha so if you follow that, you never have this most troublesome Shayla of When To Change! LOL

Just thinking this could go in that list of things that we say all the time that sounds completely bonkers to non-jews..... "have you changed tights yet?" ... although we have explained the halachos briefly twice a couple of non Jews in work LOL

No tights shaalos ever. Same colour, same denier all year round. Keeps things simple!!

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I definitely relate! My 8 year old neighbour is already wearing skin colour tights 😮

In Israel in my community you see some of them wearing at the age of 3.
DD is turning 7 soon and one of the last ones if not last in her class not wearing, she was begging me from last year so I bought her now, strictly for Shabbos and warned her when we visit family in England they are staying in Israel!
How I miss the ability of being able to stay in black tights past Pesach and change back before Sukkos. Tomorrow is a cold day and all I could think about was how I will be able to wear black tights for the day. Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 6:56 pm
Brit in Israel wrote:
In Israel in my community you see some of them wearing at the age of 3.
DD is turning 7 soon and one of the last ones if not last in her class not wearing, she was begging me from last year so I bought her now, strictly for Shabbos and warned her when we visit family in England they are staying in Israel!
How I miss the ability of being able to stay in black tights past Pesach and change back before Sukkos. Tomorrow is a cold day and all I could think about was how I will be able to wear black tights for the day. Very Happy

Oy I can't imagine a 3 year old wearing skin colour tights! My daughter wears one high socks and ankle socks still. She's 8 but short for her age. Cold tomorrow? In Israel? Your cold is probably our hot Very Happy

amother
Grape

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:14 pm
s1 wrote:

Please could you hang a printout of these halochos in AW where we buy our tights? LOL

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:27 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Please could you hang a printout of these halochos in AW where we buy our tights? LOL

That'll be hilarious!! 🤣

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:32 pm
I change for shavous bec I want to wear black as long as possible. Every other day is warm/cold anyway

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:38 pm
Just had this discussion regarding Lakewood women on a Lakewood thread! I love how this is a universal concern.
The consensus was in Lakewood that half switched and the rest are loving black as long as possible since the warm weather is not consistent.
However, I’ve been told that in Lakewood the correct time to switch is on lag baomer (and switch back to black after Yom Kippur- can’t wait 😊)
Bottom line- no one wants to be “socially off”!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:40 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Just had this discussion regarding Lakewood women on a Lakewood thread! I love how this is a universal concern.
The consensus was in Lakewood that half switched and the rest are loving black as long as possible since the warm weather is not consistent.
However, I’ve been told that in Lakewood the correct time to switch is on lag baomer (and switch back to black after Yom Kippur- can’t wait 😊)

Yep! Exactly.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:05 pm
I alternate how I want

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:04 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

Im in Lakewood I haven't seen anyone change yet.
Most change either lag baomer or shavous

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Maize wrote:
Im in Lakewood I haven't seen anyone change yet.
Most change either lag baomer or shavous

Yeah it's a bit random here as well. My mother was wearing skin colour today, I'm in a maxi skirt with socks (love this the best!) and a lot are still in black but it was really quite hot here in Manchester today 😎 but evenings are cold, and tomorrow could be cold again, so it's a bit all over the place at the moment. I'd say by lag b'omer most are wearing skin colour.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:46 pm
Funny how you call it skin color
In tri state area it's called beige tights, nude, sheer tights, or pantyhose
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> UK and Europe Related Inquiries