Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Looking for vacation spots probably in the midwest

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:32 am
hi,
I'm looking for ideas of where to go on vacation when we are ready to go on vacation, whenever that might be hopefully sooner rather then later but we'll see.
My criteria are a littlie interesting though Wink
We live in Cincinnati- hi to anyone who knows me, the description below will give me away Wink
we would be interested in someplace that's probably around 5 hours or less by car.

My husband works from home so he can take his work with him but we were thinking it would be nice if I could do stuff with the kids during the day while he works and then he can hang out with us at night. my kids won't be in camp for a lot of this summer.

We would bring our own food, no need for minyan... We have only girls if it matters.

I don't like driving but I can so I would like to stay someplace that won't be too far from what we we will be doing and won't have crazy traffic, probably best not in big huge cities. We don't like crowds either. My kids are ages 6-14. My kids like creaking and "cool" hikes- like swinging bridges... I am scared of heights especially if I'll be with them on my own and I don't want very complicated hikes that I might get lost, though we can probably do one after work time.
They like petting farms, zoos, nature centers if there's someone teaching them, my older kids love learning stuff so anything with a tour guide they love but my youngest sometimes has a hard time, they like crafting. My kids can stay in one place for a while, we aren't the type that is run run, need to be constantly entertained with bright flashing lights all the time.
Thinks we've done that have gone over well without having to split up in to two groups.
hike with swinging bridge, colonial williamsburg, a glassblowing demonstration when my kids were able to do it as well, a craft project at the local art museum.

Any suggestions for places would be greatly appreciated!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:31 am
Have you looked into Hocking Hills?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:44 am
hy e-mailed you Smile

amother
Jean

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:00 am
If you have Facebook, there is a group called Ohio Road Trips and they have tons of ideas across the state as well as some outside the state but nearby.
Columbus has plenty of things to do: COSI, Franklin Park Conservatory, Columbus Zoo and Aqauarium, Musuem of Art and tons more. Hocking Hills is also a great place as well as Mohican State Park. Both of those places have hikes and rafting/canoeing. Columbus Metro Parks has great hikes, nature activities and has free stuff they do all summer long. Slate Run Park has a working 1800's farm as well.
There is also kosher food available so you wouldn't necessarily have to bring stuff with you.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:19 am
Kentucky came to mind as a great option. You've got lots of horse stuff there, with Churchill Downs, Kentucky Horse Park, and others. For hikes, there's Natural Bridge State Park, Mammoth Cave National Park, and farther away Cumberland Falls. You can also go to Louisville Slugger to see how baseball bats are made, Toyota factory tour to see how cars are made, and Woodford Reserve and several other places to see how bourbon is made.

St. Louis is also about 5 hours away. It is a city but we never had bad traffic in multiple visits there. The City Museum is out of this world and your girls will absolutely love it! There's also of course the Gateway Arch and the zoo there is amazing. Here are some hiking options in the area:
https://www.stlmag.com/health/.....ouis/

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:34 am
Thank you!!!!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:48 am
Is Minneapolis within your driving range? It's stunning weather there in the summer, and there are so many places to go - I think the nickname is 'land of a thousand lakes'. We've been there in the summer and absolutely loved it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics