Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Erev second days

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:47 pm
Erev first days was really draining. I felt like I was cooking non stop and I was absolutely bombed by the time yt came in.
I need the next erev to be easier. I have to go to mikvah that night so I need to prep that day as well. I cannot be exhausted like that.
Is second days easier?
What can I do to make it easier?

We do not use processed foods on pesach so there aren't any real shortcuts in cooking.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:52 pm
It’s definitely easier. No Seders so no “extra” layers. You need a good soup , and meat/ chicken for the night meals , and if you do dairy for lunches you can make matza lasagna and salmon and Greek salad the day of!
If you need meat for the day meals, and sheet pan chicken / potatoes and with a good salad works!

Goldengoose

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:53 pm
do you have any left overs? soup? dessert? I'm planning to use it all up so that I can cook less now.
also, see what went well and what didnt go and don't make more of what didnt go. save your energy and effort for what's needed most.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:53 pm
1. Do you have food still in the freezer for 2nd days or are you starting from scratch?
2. Cook double and triple for shabbos, so that you have food for the 2nd days (gefilte, poached salmon that lasts a long time, potato kugel make extra and freeze, chicken soup, meat, even season the chicken already even if it's raw and frozen).
3. Also, even if you don't use processed ingredients, buy a gefen duck sauce or some other similar item to pour on top of the chicken for the last day, when you can "mish". Buy ready special dessert and soda for last day too. Takes the pressure off.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:54 pm
Cook the same meal for the 2 nights and 2 days

Alternate gefilte/salmon and chicken/meat

1 big pot of chicken soup

Fresh fruit for dessert

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Erev first days was really draining. I felt like I was cooking non stop and I was absolutely bombed by the time yt came in.
I need the next erev to be easier. I have to go to mikvah that night so I need to prep they day as well. I cannot be exhausted like that.
Is second days easier?
What can I do to make it easier?

We do not use processed foods on pesach so there aren't any real shortcuts in cooking.

I'm in same boat. I made sure although was a lot of work, to make all my sauces, marinades, sorbets etc before first days. Frozen squeezed orange juice will be defrosted to make ices for second days and cut up melons for desserts. No processed here either.
I made two roasts before first days, one is for last days and will make another in croc pot tomorrow.

My Friday cooking is happening tomorrow so I can have enough time to not feel stressed with it all bc I take a while to prep for mikvah and always in a rush to light every week as it is .

So summary, try get as much cooking done tomorrow. You can have roast in crock pot and chicken in oven at same time. That's a lot already. Making kugel for Shabbos? Make two and freeze one. Less tasty frozen yet doable.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:59 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
1. Do you have food still in the freezer for 2nd days or are you starting from scratch?
2. Cook double and triple for shabbos, so that you have food for the 2nd days (gefilte, poached salmon that lasts a long time, potato kugel make extra and freeze, chicken soup, meat, even season the chicken already even if it's raw and frozen).
3. Also, even if you don't use processed ingredients, buy a gefen duck sauce or some other similar item to pour on top of the chicken for the last day, when you can "mish". Buy ready special dessert and soda for last day too. Takes the pressure off.

Never heard of this before.
All pesach no processed and last day yes? Which Chassidus?

We are Chabad. We eat gebrokts last day yet no processed stays throughout.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:16 am
Psa for next year
I make double of everything when cooking for first days and freeze soups, kugels, muffins, meats, compote, sorbet, cake
And serve the same things second days
Sometimes I’ll make a second fresh side dish that day and a salad
And cook fresh fish

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:11 am
Here is what I did for firsts days.
Defrost chicken cutlets,chicken on the bone, one roast and ground beef.
Prepared everything at the same time(most of the spices are the same)
Put roast in oven overnight on 225.
Meatballs I added tomato sauce (you can either cook on stove top or in oven in 9×13)
Put chicken in oven.
Shnitzel I prepared and fried fresh day before Yom tov.
You can prepare in advance vegetables/chicken in a bag and make soup right before Yom tov.
I served salads for first course at every day meal.
You can make potato kugel in advance and freeze.
Most of Yom tov can be made on Friday if it's easier for you.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 5:21 pm
I am hardly cooking for the 2nd days. I almost never do. we will eat the same, frozen, foods from the first days - soup, ratatoulle, brisket. apple pear sauce.

I will just make fresh fish, salads and maybe fruit salad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics