Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you cook on yom tov?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:04 pm
I know it's allowed but I really try not to. My kitchen is hot, I get sweaty and it just doesn't feel yomtov'dik. After so many days of cooking, I like to be able to relax

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:07 pm
Almost always. I just can't get it all together in advance, between clothing and shopping and cleaning and covering it's just too much. I do try to do everything that needs the oven in advance so I only need to keep on a small flame. I don't think I've ever left the oven on for yom tov. Whatever isn't baked before we just won't have.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:10 pm
How do you warm up food without the oven on?

amother
Cadetblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:12 pm
No. But my family is still small so I’m able to get it all done and it fits in the fridge. If I would have a large family I’d probably cook on yt.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:14 pm
I try not to if I can help it. Like you, I find that cooking destroys my simchat Yom Tov. It's enough of a chore to set up, serve and clear multiple consecutive holiday feasts (even with people helping); I don't need to add cooking to the mix. Maybe if I liked cooking I'd feel differently, but as one who would rather clean than cook and would rather read than do either ..

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

blech or hot plate

I don’t usually cook on YT but I never leave the oven on. I hate having the heat in the apt

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:15 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:
No. But my family is still small so I’m able to get it all done and it fits in the fridge. If I would have a large family I’d probably cook on yt.

large families keep food in the freezer

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:18 pm
Of course, how else do you have fresh mashed potatoes- dont like it old.
And besides mashed potatoes what other side is there? I dont make kugel on pesach.
We don't leave the oven on and warm food up on the blech.
We like fresh food

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:23 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Of course, how else do you have fresh mashed potatoes- dont like it old.
And besides mashed potatoes what other side is there? I dont make kugel on pesach.
We don't leave the oven on and warm food up on the blech.
We like fresh food

I’ve never known mashed potatoes to be a staple! I’ve never made it in my life. There’s tons of other side dishes other than mashed potatoes you know. Anyway liking fresh food works well for you if you don’t mind cooking several times a day. For those of us who go to shul there just isn’t time For fresh food

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:31 pm
Always. I am in no way organized enough to cook everything before!

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:36 pm
Cooked everything yesterday and today. Not leaving flame bt blech yes.

Sauces, sorbet, marinades and squeezed juices etc. I make enough for while pesach so I rly hope second days will be less work.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:39 pm
Yes. On a griddle that's connected to a timer so it's not running all day. The kitchen stays cool.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Cadetblue wrote:

This. We're 12 ppl for all meals. Most is already made but I had to freeze because I don’t have enough room in my fridge. I have more freezer space.
My menu changed a bunch of times because of logistics! LOL
Chicken soup is always made fresh. I prepare cut up vegetables and chicken before Yom tov.
Potato kugel freezes well but not roasted potatoes.
"Grilled" vegetables are cut up and ready in a bag to be cooked on yom tov.
I didn't want to freeze my freshly made shnitzel so we're eating it tonight! Wink

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

I use a blech with one small flame and cook things like mashed potatoes or fried food that needs to be fresh .

dena613

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:53 pm
I do not

Plata

613mitzvahgirl

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:00 pm
I cook on Yontiff bc this way I have an excuse to stay in when I don’t want to be around yentas.. and I love cooking on Yontiff.. it’s my me and daughters time.. and nope we don’t keep the oven on for Yontiff.. we use a blech with two fires on.. and it’s BhBh a life saver..

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

On a blech.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:43 pm
I always cook on yt. But I grew up this way. My mother always Cooks all the meals fresh. I only cooked what I need for tonight's seder and tomorrow seder. Lunches I will do fresh. I like to make fresh steak, fresh french fries, bbqs, fresh soups etc

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 6:52 pm
I usually cook on yt because I like fresh food. It's not the same when it's rewarmed. But not everything. Only the things that taste better fresh

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 7:11 pm
I find it easier to cook fresh yt than fuss with reheating it (my oven doesn’t have Shabbos mode). So I’ll make the roast in the crockpot after the meal second night to have second lunch, or stove top grill fresh London broil, etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics