Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you say jinx?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:13 pm
I say jinx when someone says the same thing as me at the same time. Today DD told me it's immature. Is it? Do you say jinx? FTR I'm late 30s so not so old and I'm very youthful and energetic.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:16 pm
I'm late 20s and I wouldn't say jinx. I'd joke or laugh about how we thought the same thing but not say jinx. I have to agree with your daughter on this one!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:19 pm
I think I have said it to my daughter. Early 40s lol

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:22 pm
DH and I do it with each other only. We usually get to quadruple jinx before one of us gets out, and then whoever lost can’t speak until someone says their name. It’s just something we’ve always done and feels like a private joke almost, but the opportunity for jinx happens to us pretty often for some reason

For reference we are late 20s/early 30s

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:33 pm
Late 30s. I'll say jinx to someone I grew up with, and will sometimes text it when someone texts the same thing as much at the same time.

But.

I vote that it's chutzpadik and inappropriate for a daughter to tell her mother that something she does is immature. And the amount of chutzpah and inappropriateness imo is a lot more than the potential immaturity aspect of saying jinx.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:09 pm
This is new to me.
I did not know jinx is a kid thing? I mean I don’t say the whole double triple thing but I’ll say / write jinx

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:12 pm
It seems immature to me. I haven’t said it since I was a teen. In my upper 30s.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:18 pm
Don’t see the big deal 🤷‍♀️

Bleemee

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:23 pm
Eh- I see it as vernacular for “I think exactly the same thing”

giselle

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:34 pm
I’d use it jokingly. I’m not immature but young at heart! 😁

gr82no

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:20 pm
The immature part is when you rush to say jinx before the other person (and add you owe me a soda)
When you randomly say the same thing as another person say jinx, laugh a sec and continue the conversation thats normal.

Typical teen to think it's immature because it's something ten yr olds do all the time but adults do it differently

mommyhood

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:36 pm
I’ll say it to dh or one of the kids as a joke, we just laugh when it happens. Not a frequent thing. Definitely wouldn’t say to a friend or in public, it’s a silly at home thing.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:48 pm
It's not immature if you're six, but you should have outgrown this by now. Still, there are a lot worse things that some people never outgrow, like picking their nose in public and being self-centered, so you're not doing too badly. On my list of annoying mannerisms, this doesn't even make the cut unless you do it all the time.

CPenzias

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:04 pm
I say it. Not the double triple, you owe me a soda but for fun if I say the same thing as someone else. I said it as a teen and although I'm not anymore, I never said I wanted to grow up so...jinx it is

little neshamala

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:51 am
I say it. In my 30s.

Rappel

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 12:58 am
Totally!

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 1:14 am
Omg life is serious enough as is. So it's a bit childish big deal. Also most adults say it for fun as a joke.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:40 pm
sounds like avoda zora

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 4:56 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
sounds like avoda zora

shock which part of it?

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Apr 22 2024, 5:11 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
shock which part of it?

I always assumed it was related to avoda zara so I just googled it. It's related to witchcraft/spells... I would never use that word.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette